“Safe! Just make sure to be aware of surrounds”
Review of Cerro de la Cruz

US$68.98*
Antigua City Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #7 of 86 things to do in Antigua
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My boyfriend and i took a 9AM walk up to the cross this past Monday. We walked all the way across town and you just walk up the steps to the cross. We were always aware of our surroundings (which we are in general anyways) and we had a very peaceful experience. It is a GREAT view of Antigua!! I would have done the walk more if we had more time in Antigua. It's a nice little free activity. Took us about 30 minutes to an hour in all.

1  Thank Carolina R
There are newer reviews for Cerro de la Cruz

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My friend and I were very nervous because we hard lots of stories of travelers getting robbed on the trail. We didn't have a problem but the city does offer free police escorted trips up. The walk up is about 20 mins on a cement pathway. At the top we saw 3 police men as well as some stands to buy gifts and water.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have always wanted to hike up the to cross on the hillside over the many years that I have been going to Antigua. This June we were there as tourists for 2 days and I finally did the hike. It was great. I had heard in the past about some robbers up there but not now. There are actually police patrolling around the area. Obviously, don't do it alone.
One of the guidebooks that I read after doing the hike said don't bother. I say don't miss it!!!!!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Okay I am sorry to all on here. I am a backpacker and hate when people come on here making people scared but I believe it is my duty to let everyone here know that NO this is not a safe place to walk to at any part of the day cause me and my friend were attacked TODAY around 1:00pm-2:00pm on the stairs coming down from the cross. When I came to the cross I had come by Tuk Tuk. I had met a very fellow backpacker and we got to talking. I decided that since I had read on here police are all around and I was with another person I decided it would be safe enough to walk back down. At the time I went to the cross there was a police officer at the top. We started walking down made it MAYBE 1-2 minute from the top when two seemly normal looking young local guys crossed our path. They grabbed my friend and he dragged her off the path. She was kicking and screaming and I was screaming for help . NO ONE came. We were screaming for a few minutes as she was trying to fight off the man and I was trying to scream for help. Not one person came. They eventually ran off as I guess they got scared and realized we were not going to back down and maybe someone may hear. We ran back up to the top to find the police officer and were told by a group of local guys that the officer had left. They offered to walk us down the path and to see if we could find the 2 guys. NOT ONE POLICE OFFICER WAS ON THE PATH ON THE WHOLE WAY DOWN. I don't know if they go to lunch or what happens but we did not see one officer! There were also some locals at the bottom that said they could hear us scream and saw 2 guys running away but they did nothing. I am also certain people at the top heard us scream as we were not far from the top and they did nothing. Please don't get a false sense of security. This can happen to anyone. I agree it is an absolute beautiful view but I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if we were alone. Please at no point travel in anything less then a group preferably with guys. I would never recommend anyone to walk that path alone or being just girls. Take a taxi or tuk tuk there AND back if you want to go up. I have been in Guatemala for a month and in Antigua 3 times cause I always felt safe here. Its upsetting that this experience is going to change my view. I still really like Antigua I feel safe in town. But don't risk the walk to the cross unless in a group and don't go out at night! I hope that this review opens some peoples eyes as I am still in shock that this happened to me and no one was around to help us and the supposed 4-6 police were no where in sight. I have been here a couple weeks and it was her very first day visiting. It can happen to anyone. Stay Safe.

7  Thank RubyR1111
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Easy to find, follow 1A Avendida north which will take you to the bottom of the steps, easy to spot. Great views from the top but go on a clear day so you can see volcano agua as it's pretty spectacular to see, the are around the cross is pretty disgusting with rubbish everywhere etc it could be a really nice place if it was looked after.

As everyone else has said use caution, don't go before the sun comes up or after it goes it down. There are police stationed on the hill now so it's relatively safe.