“Words can express how satisfied and surprised i was”

Hotel Palacio de Dona Beatriz
Ranked #14 of 135 Antigua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2014

BEST experience of my holiday and i am comparing with JW Marriotts in Mexico city and Cancun. Was quite worried when reading about Guatemala, safety and local standards but when i saw this hotel all my worries were gone in a second. AMAZING beautifully styled hotel with excellent staff. Private parking, 24h guarded, private secured entrance to the hotel area, green and spectacular gardens, quite fast internet connection. Can't say a single bad word about this hotel. HIGLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Room Tip: room nr.4 with its own sofa on a terrace above the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed here with my husband for a few nights for our honeymoon in central america. It is a beautiful hotel. Rooms was very romantic and spacious (we had the junior suite upstairs) with a super comfortable bed. Breakfast was delicious, number of choices available.

Only complaint was the mix up with our arrival. Booked flight from Tikal to Guatemala City in advance with the hotel and they also arranged the pick-up from the airport to the hotel. When we arrived at the airport there was noone there. Waited a good 20mins then asked to use the phone at the airline to call the hotel. Turned out they were waiting at international airport rather than the domestic one (you would have though they'd know since they arranged the flight). They told me to wait 10-15mins for driver to come to our airport. Another 20mins later, still no sign so called again. Hotel was confused, gave me driver's number to call directly. Spoke to him and somehow the message hadn't reached him that we were at the other airport (not sure what conversation took place...) Finally 1 hour after arriving our driver shows up. Not a safe place to wait really in Guatemala City, but just as well we were lucky...

Bad start to our stay but beautiful rooms made up for it and rest of the stay was uneventful, apart from Guatemala service being slow in general

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I want to start by saying that this is the first bad review that I have ever written and I feel that I have to do it since the experience was so terrible in every way. I confirmed this reservation with a credit card on May 10, 2013 and received a written confirmation for the three bedroom Villa del Adelantado at the Hotel Palacio de Dona Beatriz from Larissa. This is 6 months before our trip. I had email exchanges with Larissa up to a few days before we were to leave for our trip because we are coming back to Guatemala in March 2014 and wanted to stay there again, of course, with how we were treated, I would never stay at the Hotel Palacio de Dona Beatriz again. We arrived on November 6th at 10pm and were told that we had a loft apartment not the three bedroom villa that I had a confirmation for. This was totally unacceptable since there were four of us and we needed three bedrooms. Larissa could not be reached and she didn't even have the common courtesy to reach out to us and explain or apologize for what they did to us as I requested, they knew where we were staying in Antigua. We had to find another place to stay at 11pm. Luckily, I remembered another beautiful place that I stayed in on a previous trip, the Hotel Casa Santa Rosa, they took us in and took very good care of us and I cannot say enough nice things about them and that hotel. Not only was the loft apartment at the Hotel Palacio de Dona Beatriz unacceptable for our group in terms of rooms, but the apartment was dirty, smelled like mold and bleach and the lights in the bathroom did not work. I had my confirmation email with me and the person at the check in told me that they would contact us at the Hotel Casa Santa Rosa but they never did. With all of the really lovely places to stay in Antigua, I would never consider gong back to the Hotel Palacio de Dona Beatriz. This is not how you treat customers!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank lewmorski
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My boyfriend and I are backpacking across Central America and treated ourselves to a couple of nights for a pleasant break from hostels. It was very peaceful and very comfortable, which is exactly what we were looking for. Our room was lovely, the bed was wonderful, we had a sofa on the terrace right outside our room overlooking the gardens downstairs, we had great wifi signal in the room and our ensuite had a bath with jets.

We did find the website a bit misleading - there is no communal jacuzzi, you only get one if you stay in the more expensive suites, the "heated pool" is really a shallow decorative fountain and was stone cold when we were there - nice to look at, no good to swim in! The 'library' means that they have a few books in reception. It is an excellent place to stay and I would recommend it, but I think they should be a bit more honest with the website.

NB It is in a 'gated community' so we had some trouble getting in to just take a look at the place before we made a reservation - if doing this, take some ID. Once you have checked in, you get a keycard which removes the hassle.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We spend for two night here, the location is good, and the hotel looking is a butique, colonial, with a fountain, super lovely place, very expenses houses around there!
The enrande is little dificult some times, the police in the entrance ask you, you call and some times takes time or the door stock, note, you need a personal id to leave at the entrance

Room Tip: The enrande is little dificult some times, the police in the entrance ask you, you call and some tim...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MayaLandTravel
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The hotel is located a bit far from the center but thanks to that it is very peaceful and quite. The staff of reception, restaurant and the driver were super polite and attentive. We felt like royalty :) The room was spacious and cleaned thoroughly every day. The only drawback was no Wifi in the room, although we could use the computer in the lobby. Besides you don't really want to waste your time in front of computer screen in such an amazing place. Thanks to all staff for making our stay with you so comfortable. We would definitely choose your hotel again when visiting Antigua.

Room Tip: No.1 one excellent with a huge bed and jacuzzi bath.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marekr659
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Absolutely beautiful hotel, giant bed, colonial style. Extremely helpful staff that even went to the pharmacy for antibiotics when I was unwell. They also organised a number of tours and pick-ups. Well protected in a secure compound but within 10 minutes walk of Antigua centre. Only slightly negative point was that the pool was perhaps a little small being more a water feature in the courtyard. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room #1 was excellent
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple