“Nice hotel, friendly, clean, inexpensive, good location”

and 1 more site!
Casa Florencia Hotel
Ranked #27 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel, friendly, clean, inexpensive, good location”
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I stayed at the Casa Florencia Hotel for three weeks in October and November 2011, and was very happy with it.

Everyone who worked there was friendly and always helpful. The hotel and my room were always kept perfectly clean. If the maids weren’t cleaning a room, invariably I would see them cleaning some other part of the hotel, leaving everything spotless. The hotel looks very nice and its construction is solid. All the furniture is good quality and is well maintained. The hotel hallways and rooms are nicely decorated, giving a very comfortable feel. The garden downstairs is well tended; some of the flowering plants are tall enough that they reach to the second floor. The open-air hallway upstairs offers great views of Volcano de Agua.

I looked at the rates advertised online for a number of hotels in Antigua. The prices for the Casa Florencia were among the lowest I saw, making it a bargain.

The hotel is very secure. As far as I could tell, the windows of all the rooms face into the interior courtyard – none to the street. The hotel entrance was always locked and someone was always on duty to open it as necessary.

Antigua is a compact little city. You can probably walk from the hotel to any other part of the town in less than 15 minutes. Some of the outer streets of Antigua feel a bit desolate at night, but the Casa Florencia is within the part of town that still has a fair amount of activity in the evening.

For Friday or Saturday night stays, they provided breakfast in the morning in a little downstairs dining area. This was a good opportunity to chat a little with the owner (Patricia, who is very friendly and whose English is excellent) or other people staying in the hotel. It’s a small hotel, so breakfast wasn’t extravagant, but it was tasty. It was buffet style, and they usually offered eggs and/or pancakes, toast, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, coffee, tea, juice, and the like. If you were going to get an early start, they would pack a meal for you instead.

I don’t drink coffee, but coffee was always available for free in the lobby. You could buy cans of beer, soft drinks, or bottled water there too. Also, at no charge, the hotel left a large bottle of water in the room every day. This was nice, as you are not supposed to drink the tap water in Guatemala. It is very convenient to buy other supplies in Antigua – there are many small tiendas around the town, as well as pharmacies, and the Bodegona, a larger supermarket with better prices, is a ten-minute walk from the hotel. (And tuk-tuks are always close by too.)

There are restaurants all over Antigua, and it doesn’t take long to reach a variety of them from the hotel. In my three weeks there I ate in over 40 different restaurants and still had only scratched the surface!

I was always able to get hot water in the shower, and the water pressure was always good.

If you need your clothes cleaned, the hotel uses a small laundromat about six doors up the street. The people at the hotel offered to drop off and pick up my laundry for me, but I carried it over there myself. The woman who runs the laundromat is very friendly and does a very careful job cleaning the laundry. She charged 6 quetzels ($0.75) per pound, with a minimum fee of 24 quetzals ($3). That’s a typical rate in Antigua, and a lot better than a luxury hotel would charge.

On the negative side ... despite its high ranking on TripAdvisor, it is not a luxury hotel. There’s no swimming pool, gym, or spa. (But you could probably find an inexpensive gym or spa close by.) As is typical of Antigua, the rooms aren’t heated or air conditioned (but there was a ceiling fan in my room). Air conditioning was never an issue during my stay, but there were a few nights when I had to throw on an extra blanket. That always did the trick. Guatemala is “the land of the eternal spring,” and I always had spring-like conditions during my stay. (Outside of the hotel, I wore shorts every day, but needed long pants and a jacket at night.) The rooms are somewhat smaller than you would find in a typical American hotel, but my room (#10) was fine for one person staying three weeks.

Overall, the Casa Florencia is a great hotel for the money and I’m glad I stayed there. I'll definitely stay there again the next time I'm in Antigua.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Casa Florencia is a nice hotel in Antigua.. The rooms are very clean and are of good size with a t.v., closet, safe and ceiling fan.. From the second story rooms you have a great view of Volcano Agua.. There is a computer in the lobby to access the internet and I believe the hotel only offers breakfast on weekends.. Antigua is not very large so you could walk through the city on foot however their are tuk tuk vehicles in Antigua to drive you around.. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to La Merced church and the yellow clock arch.. Near the church and arch is where you will also find a lot of good restaurants and nightlife.. It seems during the week nightlife in Antigua is pretty much dead.. During the weekend is when everyone comes out, from as far away as Guatemala City to have a good time.. I would recommend Casa Florencia Hotel to anyone and if I came back to Antigua I would stay here again..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Las Vegas Usa
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I stayed at Casa Florencia hotel in July 2011. I found the hotel to be very nice secure and clean. You are about 2-3 blocks from La Merced church. Once at La Merced you can find restaurants, bars, entertainment of all sorts. The location is great for Antigua. I stayed on the second floor which I recommend for a fantastic view of Volcano Agua. My room had 2 beds separate full bath. Hot water, t.v. a closet and a nice window with a great view. There is a hotel computer for internet downstairs next to the front desk. The tourist brochures at the front entrance are really bad. There wasn't a map of Antigua in the lot. There should be informational brochures of things to do. The front entrance is locked so to enter especially late into the evening you have to ring a bell to get in. Be sure to pay attention to the outside entrance so that you can find the hotel after dark. I didn't notice a restaurant on the premises. The morning I left which was around 0345 the staff did give me a wake up call and also provided me with a brown bag meal to take as I left for the airport. I found this to be very nice. Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are planning on a visit to Antigua.

Room Tip: Any room on the second level are good, maybe the end rooms are best because you can hear through if...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank impetiousdoom
San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I was looking for a hotel, good and clean enough to just sleep in, as we were out must of the time. I travelled with my husband and our friends, who had two children, they stayed in a room for 4 and we stayed in a separate room. I usually dont mind all the "luxuries" as I like to eat out and stay out, but what I am usually concerned about is cleanliness.
Casa Florencia was outstanding. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The hotel was clean and small but has got what you need.
The price is very reasonable, is close to the town and markets and I would be very happy to stay there again, my friends were just as happy and impressed. Thank you Casa Florencia!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Duesseldorf
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed there with husband and daughter. We had a very comfortable clean room for the three of us. The staff was very friendly and helpful, breakfast was very delicious. The location is perfect, not too far from the center and very quiet. Could not been better.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Luxor, Egypt
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I enjoyed my time at casa florencia. it is clean and pretty- well kept and great customer service. its a good thing that it is NOT on the main square. feels more authentic that way.

YES--I would return!

Here are my only cons:

the toilet is too big for the bathroom. you have to climb around it to get to the shower.
maybe beans and tortilla option at breakfast would be better.

And maybe more than one computer for guests.

otherwise--it was great. the cleaning staff are very cute and concientious.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Unfortunately, we only had one night in Antigua but were charmed by this small, clean and welcoming hotel. We appreciated the attentive and accommodating staff.

• Stayed July 2011