“Mixed Blessing”

Casa Florencia Hotel
Ranked #26 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed here in August 2013....if you are a woman traveling alone; I'd
Perhaps think twice before staying here.

The location is off the beaten path; so it was impossible to catch a cab or other transportation
Without walking several blocks in the dark. Which in my case proved rather interesting; in broad daylight this man came up to me on the street and grabbed my hand, insisting I take. Shot of Tequila that he was drinking out of a flask; walking down the street...when I refused, he took off.

Later that night; again walking cause no cabs in that area...I return to the hotel and the front doors are always secure,which is a good thing. I ask for a cup of ice to take to the room and was told there wasn't any....about 10 minutes later, there is a knock at my door. The night man is trying to get me to open the door; telling me he had ice. I asked him to just leave it at the door and I'd get it
In a few minutes. He declined...when I opened the door later; there was no ice !

Be careful in the straw market; a friend of mine was carrying her child because it was wall to wall people. She kept noticing this woman in front of her kept stopping, stalling, dropping things...she felt a slight tug at her purse; but, she wasn't about to put her child down.

When she got back to the room...there were three slits done with a razor blade and her wallet was gone ...pretty scary. I'm telling this same story to the driver who's
Taking me to the airport the next day...he looked at me and told me; my friend was lucky to be alive; not uncommon for a person to just get knifed; the thief gets their bag and with all the confusion created...they take off through the crowd and that people have been killed.

The staff was friendly during the day, rooms are clean and nice...just had a lot of unexpected things happened with concern to my safety. Like I said...it was a mixed blessing. Be very careful...that was what I encountered in three days ...made sure to put mace in my bag for the rest of the trip. My two friends left to travel to Belize...and where robbed for the second time when someone entered their room and stole another
Purse with money...while they were asleep; their eight year old little girl was really frighten when it happened the second time....be very careful in Central America...two robberies
In three days; in two different countries ?

Room Tip: Only go to the second floor if you can handle your luggage cause there is no elevator; but the secon...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Donna B
Florencia/Antigua, Owner at Casa Florencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Casa Florencia Hotel.

We appreciate your positive feedback which is consistent with the majority of our guests comments as we strive each and every day to provide the very best in quality accommodation at an affordable price.

We regret the misunderstanding regarding the ice incident. When your request for ice was fulfilled and the ice was brought to your room, our night clerk did not understand your request to leave it at the door and returned it to the kitchen. Safety inside Casa Florencia Hotel is 100% guaranteed. We have security cameras covering the entire property, which are checked on a continuous basis. The safety of our guests has never been questioned and we regret any concern you may have had.

Regarding the location, we are not in the center of town, but we are located only seven blocks away from the main square on a principal avenue. This provides easy walking access to the center in a more quiet area and tuc-tucs run all over town.

Unfortunately, the experiences faced outside our property are not in our control; however, we have to mention that the actual Guatemalan Government is taking the necessary steps to offer security to both locals and visitors.

Avoiding crowed market places and taking other common sense measures should be exercised in any city, not just Central America to protect ourselves.

Best Regards,

Casa Florencia Hotel

Reviewed 19 August 2013

If any of you have any qualms about visiting Antigua, you should discard them immediately. It is a wonderful small city. Friendly, safe, plenty to do and see, great food, coffee and beautiful weather, even in the "rainy season".
And I can't imagine there being a better place to stay than Casa Florencia. Patricia and her wonderful staff made my comings and goings an absolute pleasure. Although not in "downtown" per se, Antigua is such an easy city to get around in, I found my 65 year old body having no trouble walking from one end of the city to the other a couple of time a day. The entire hotel is immaculate. I felt so secure there that several times I just left my computer on the table outside my room (where I enjoyed my daily internet fix) and walked into the Plaza. And a lovely breakfast is included each morning. Unless being too accommodating is a fault, I can't think of one bad thing to say about this jewel of a small hotel. My parameters in a hotel are that it be clean, safe, convenient, friendly and affordable; all of which are met by Casa Florencia. If I could have given them 6 circles, I would have!

CC
Patzcuaro, Michoacan Mexico

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank colinwcollier
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Very clean, relaxing and comfortable hotel - Definitely recommended for individuals and small groups. A little farther away from central park, but a nice walk and close to Fernandos coffee shop. We look forward to staying at the hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kandl2005
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Casa Florencia is the perfect place to stay in Antigua. The hotel is beautifully decorated, clean as can be, and has a spectacular view of the volcano. The location is also excellent--it is not right off the main square and because of this, it is a bit more peaceful. Even though it is not right on the square, it is super close (a quick 4 minute walk down the Arch Street and Boom--you are there!). Everything about this hotel is fabulous, but the best part is the amazing staff. Everyone is very friendly and helpful--even helping me with onward travel directions (and giving me a phone number for when I inevitably got lost...). If you are looking for a charming, friendly place to stay in Antigua, Casa Florencia is the place for you!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank CarlaEliz83
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My wife and I finished our three week honeymoon in this hotel. Most of the honeymoon was spent adventuring and Casa Florencia provided a wonderfully relaxing end to the trip. It looks a little unassuming from the outside, but it's quite beautiful on the inside and the rooms are very nice and clean. The service was also great. The gal who acted as the manager and may have been the owner while we were there helped my wife and I orchestrate a search for a lost camera in Antigua! In many ways this hotel and our time in Antigua made my trip to Guatemala.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kyle M
Reviewed 2 July 2013

A colleague of my husband at Harvard raved about this hotel, and , after our stay, we want to pass on a fantastic report as well. The attention to detail we enjoyed was remarkable. Everything was maticulous, and everyone went out of their way to be helpful. We have not stayed at a hotel that was so safety concious. At so many small hotels, a night person at the front desk must be summoned by buzzer or is only actually at the desk until midnight. Not so here. A young man who speaks excellent English, is at the desk and available throughout the night. One morning about 4:00a.m. we were supposed to be picked up for a day trip and weren't. The young man waited with us, used his cell phone and Spanish to contact the travel agencey , hung in there with us throughout the confusing situation, and couldn't have been nicer. The second floor rooms have breathtaking views of the volcanoes. We had Room 6, and walking out the door of the room to be greeted by such a spectaculor view was a delightful experience. A tasty breakfast is included with room cost, and is provided at the tiny cafe next door (you'll need a coupon) or in an area on the first floor. Early breakfast boxes for day trips or early airport "runs" are happily provided. A fridge in the lobby is a plus. Antigua's old town awaits an easily walkable distance from the hotel and is worth exploring again and again. If you get tired, a taxi is inexpensive, but always determine the price first. As for planning ahead, we were very glad we skipped Guatemala City and went straight to Antigua. You'll love both the city and the hotel. P.S. Don't forget that the hotel doesn't accept credit cards, but ATMs are readily available in old town.

Room Tip: We'd spring for a second floor room, but you can easily walk up to the second floor and enjoy th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Rock37
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Staying at Casa Florencia even better than being at home. I had all the comforts of home without any of the work - a great rejuvinating experience. The staff is very friendly, helpful and took very good care of us. The breakfasts were healthy and delicious. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. Everything is impeccably clean and well cared for. I appreciated having good hot showers. The views of the volcanoes are stunning and the setting is quiet and peaceful. Everything in Antigua is within an easy walk.

Everyone at Casa Florencia went above and beyond to accommodate our schedule over the two weeks we were there. They packed tasty sack breakfasts for us on the mornings when we left early for day trips. And they stored our bags for us while we left for several days to go bird watching at the Los Tarrales Nature Reserve. They helped to make transportation arrangements for us to get the reserve and to and from the airport.

I felt like I was part of the Casa Florencia family while I was there - very safe and well cared for.

Room Tip: I am not familiar with the rooms on the first floor, but all the rooms on the second floor are great...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family