“I have a home-away-from-home in Antigua: Casa Florencia.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Casa Florencia Hotel
Ranked #29 of 81 Hotels in Antigua
Chicago, IL
“I have a home-away-from-home in Antigua: Casa Florencia.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2010

This small (14 room) family-run hotel is well located...close enough to the action but on a quiet street. The family owners and their small staff couldn't be more solicitous. The modest, clean rooms are entirely satisfactory from my perspective. Antigua is for roaming, not for squatting! Breakfast is routinely served only on Sunday...but that's ok for me because I found a new and engaging spot for breakfast every day.

Recommended without reservation.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

This hotel is a real find in Antigua. The style is charming. It is clean and modern and the staff were very accomodating.

The only recommendation I would make is to ask that those gathering in the dining area at the end of the first floor be asked to keep their voices down. It was very difficult to sleep a few nights due to the noise. If there is another area where guests could gather it would be nice for those in their rooms to have more quiet.

• Stayed March 2010
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

Being Guatemala, you expect your money to go a lot further so I guess I expected a lot more from Casa Florencia.

They don't have WIFI. There is a computer downstairs for guests to use but it has time restrictions - 8pm I think.

The rooms were comfy enough - fairly basic but clean and the hotel was well kept. However for $50 a night I would expect breakfast.

The staff at Casa Florencia were lovely and very responsive via email. They were very helpful with anything we asked. The hotel was a little far from the main square but we didn't mind the walk since it's a charming city.

We returned to Antigua 2 months later and just couldn't justify staying here again. We stayed at El Hostal for $13 each per night in a twin private room which included breakfast.

If Casa Florencia had WIFI and included breakfast I could definitely recommend it but considering what else is available for a lower price I can't say I would.

• Stayed February 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Florencia/Antigua, Manager at Casa Florencia Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2010
As always, we appreciate the reviews of our guests and pay special attention to them which helps us to improve in areas that we need to. Running a good decent business in Guatemala is expensive as well. In fact property rental and property sale prices are almost at the same level as major cities in the USA. During the past year, government mandated salary increases and electicity costs have risen substantially which has caused our overhead costs to rise. In spite of the economic downturn that has decreased tourism, Casa Florencia has consistently made efforts to add services and make improvements. Meanwhile, we have kept room rates as low as possible to cover operating expenses.

When a client makes a reservation at Casa Florencia Hotel, we indicate clearly what our rate includes. Our communications are clear and honest so that there are no doubts, surprises or false expectations. Our double occupancy rate of US$50.00 per night applies from Sunday through Friday nights. The $50/night includes a combined IVA and tourist tax of 22% which means that our net rate is US$40.98. For the type of accommodation offered, we believe is a reasonable amount. Most clients do not realize that the taxes are already included in the room rate quoted whereas most hotels and restaurants give a base rate and add the taxes and gratuity to the final bill. Perhaps it would be more acceptable for client's comparisons if Casa Florencia gave a room rate of $41 per night and then added the 22% taxes to the final bill.

Only on Sundays do we currently offer breakfast due to the generally higher occupancy on Saturday nights. Our rate for Saturday night for a double occupancy is US$60.00. We charge only $5.00 per person for the breakfast comprised of choice of cereal, eggs and/or pancakes, bread, juice, coffee, fruit. Thus, the $60 includes lodging for two, the 22% taxes and full hot breakfast.

Free internet service on a provided desktop computer is available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Starting on April 10th, a new Wi-Fi service is available 24 hours a day without any additional charge.
nomadic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2010

Great attention to detail. The staff is very helpful and friendly. You can tell they really try to make you enjoy your stay and take good care of you (above and beyond). My room on the second floor had a view of the volcano out my window and the plants on the porch outside swaying with the wind made for a pretty & idyllic spot to relax before my long afternoon of climbing Pacaya volcano. I had a 1.5 day stay in Antigua & I highly recommend Casa Florencia to my friends who should be passing through there. The Sunday breakfast was yummy too.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2010

We just spent three weeks at this lovely, friendly, moderately priced hotel. Our room, like all on the second floor, opened onto an open balcony with a panoramic view of the three volcanoes. The room was lovely, the bed was excellent, everything was scrupulously clean and the hotel personnel were so very helpful. There are no noisy bars nearby and shopping and restaurants are within easy walking distance . We will always stay there whenever in Antigua.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Oakland, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

My husband and I stayed for four nights at Casa Florencia and very much enjoyed our stay. We had a room upstairs for 2 nights and after extending our stay, moved to the lower floor for 2 nights. As previously posted, the rooms upstairs share a common balcony with great views and plenty of light. The rooms downstairs share a common terrace with a fountain and shady garden. I would definitely recommend asking for a room upstairs since you get the views and great light and they're the same price as those downstairs.

As previously stated, the entire facility is clean as a whistle. Rooms are simple with a nice comfortable bed - really the perfect size for two adults. The bathroom is a little on the small side but completely functional, also spotlessly clean, and sports the most amazing showerhead for those of you who like water pressure and plenty of heat when you bathe.

Patricia the very amicable english-speaking host, makes sure guests are well attended to and made to feel at home. She definitely went the extra mile to make sure my husband who was tending to a hurt back, always had ice and also helped us find a bus to Honduras. The other staff are not as well versed in english but all greet you with giant smiles.

CF is indeed a little bit of a distance from central park which has it's downside I suppose as it can be a bit of a walk, however the advantage is simply that - you are removed from the area with the most concentration of tourists. Not only that, but you have access to a delightful little park 2 blocks away where there's a semi-ruined church at one end surrounded by a dozen or so palms trees, lots of benches where locals sit and chat and not another tourist in sight.

As for downsides, I would definitely concur with others who commented on the lack of daily breakfast, which is served only on Sundays. I might also add that the breakfast, while diverse and hearty, was only okay however that could be in part because we were the last guests served.

The only other thing I would comment on is regarding extra pillows. Because of my husband's bad back, we wanted to get additional pillows to support him when he slept. When I asked one of the non-English speaking attendants at the front desk for an extra pillow (in spanish...), they told me they didn't have any - not one extra pillow in the entire building??

Despite the lack of pillows and so-so breakfast, CF is truly a gem with friendly service, meticulously maintained and all at an affordable price.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

Patricia who owns Casa Florencia must be married to "Mr. Clean" because the white tornado certain blows through every day at Casa Florencia. I swear you could eat from any of the floors! The room and bathroom were not large but certainly adequate, with a closet storage area a small cushioned bench and a table. The only slight negative was that the beds were very hard. We enjoyed out stay, would definitely stay there again and alothough they only have breakfast there on Sunday mornings, we liked going to Fernando's, meeting their friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple