“It was wonderful!”

Casa Florencia Hotel
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I had the opportunity to spend Easter week in Antigua. I enjoyed very much all the traditions of this country during Easter. I was highly impressed to find Casa Florencia Hotel - it was extremely clean and pleasant. The owner and all the employees are very kind and respectful, and made me feel very welcome. I really enjoyed my stay here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 April 2010

We stayed six nights at Casa Florencia during Semana Santa, and we were very pleased and would definitely stay there again. From the initial e-mails to book a room to assisting us with a lost suitcase and a transportation issue that would have delayed us getting to the airport on time, Patricia, who manages this hotel, and her staff proved to be very responsive, resourceful, and helpful. Their concern for their guests is both genuine and outstanding.

As to the hotel itself, here are my comments:
Rooms: Are simply furnished, but comfortable, clean and larger than a luxury hotel that we stayed at previously in Antigua;
Temperature: While Antigua was hot and humid during our stay, our 2nd floor room was quickly cooled by a ceiling fan;
Security: Very Good with locked outside doors and someone at the front desk all night;
Location: Very Good---about 3-4 blocks from several good restaurants, shopping, and the “Arch;”
Noise level: No issue within the hotel, with some late night street noise due to processions and events during Semana Santa---this would be anywhere within the central Antigua;
Staff: Very friendly and helpful;
Internet Access: Free use of a computer at the front desk all day till 10 pm.

As noted by others, this hotel is both a gem and a great value.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I think it could be better if the breakfast's time could be a little bit earlier, for example if it could start at 6 or 7 AM, because most of the tours start at 7 and the guests do not have time to have a relax breakfast.
The rest of things: service, people, hotel, everything was really nice.
Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 April 2010

This small (14 room) family-run hotel is well located...close enough to the action but on a quiet street. The family owners and their small staff couldn't be more solicitous. The modest, clean rooms are entirely satisfactory from my perspective. Antigua is for roaming, not for squatting! Breakfast is routinely served only on Sunday...but that's ok for me because I found a new and engaging spot for breakfast every day.

Recommended without reservation.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2010

This hotel is a real find in Antigua. The style is charming. It is clean and modern and the staff were very accomodating.

The only recommendation I would make is to ask that those gathering in the dining area at the end of the first floor be asked to keep their voices down. It was very difficult to sleep a few nights due to the noise. If there is another area where guests could gather it would be nice for those in their rooms to have more quiet.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Being Guatemala, you expect your money to go a lot further so I guess I expected a lot more from Casa Florencia.

They don't have WIFI. There is a computer downstairs for guests to use but it has time restrictions - 8pm I think.

The rooms were comfy enough - fairly basic but clean and the hotel was well kept. However for $50 a night I would expect breakfast.

The staff at Casa Florencia were lovely and very responsive via email. They were very helpful with anything we asked. The hotel was a little far from the main square but we didn't mind the walk since it's a charming city.

We returned to Antigua 2 months later and just couldn't justify staying here again. We stayed at El Hostal for $13 each per night in a twin private room which included breakfast.

If Casa Florencia had WIFI and included breakfast I could definitely recommend it but considering what else is available for a lower price I can't say I would.

• Stayed: February 2010
Florencia/Antigua, Manager at Casa Florencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2010

As always, we appreciate the reviews of our guests and pay special attention to them which helps us to improve in areas that we need to. Running a good decent business in Guatemala is expensive as well. In fact property rental and property sale prices are almost at the same level as major cities in the USA. During the past year, government mandated salary increases and electicity costs have risen substantially which has caused our overhead costs to rise. In spite of the economic downturn that has decreased tourism, Casa Florencia has consistently made efforts to add services and make improvements. Meanwhile, we have kept room rates as low as possible to cover operating expenses.

When a client makes a reservation at Casa Florencia Hotel, we indicate clearly what our rate includes. Our communications are clear and honest so that there are no doubts, surprises or false expectations. Our double occupancy rate of US$50.00 per night applies from Sunday through Friday nights. The $50/night includes a combined IVA and tourist tax of 22% which means that our net rate is US$40.98. For the type of accommodation offered, we believe is a reasonable amount. Most clients do not realize that the taxes are already included in the room rate quoted whereas most hotels and restaurants give a base rate and add the taxes and gratuity to the final bill. Perhaps it would be more acceptable for client's comparisons if Casa Florencia gave a room rate of $41 per night and then added the 22% taxes to the final bill.

Only on Sundays do we currently offer breakfast due to the generally higher occupancy on Saturday nights. Our rate for Saturday night for a double occupancy is US$60.00. We charge only $5.00 per person for the breakfast comprised of choice of cereal, eggs and/or pancakes, bread, juice, coffee, fruit. Thus, the $60 includes lodging for two, the 22% taxes and full hot breakfast.

Free internet service on a provided desktop computer is available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Starting on April 10th, a new Wi-Fi service is available 24 hours a day without any additional charge.

Reviewed 29 March 2010

Great attention to detail. The staff is very helpful and friendly. You can tell they really try to make you enjoy your stay and take good care of you (above and beyond). My room on the second floor had a view of the volcano out my window and the plants on the porch outside swaying with the wind made for a pretty & idyllic spot to relax before my long afternoon of climbing Pacaya volcano. I had a 1.5 day stay in Antigua & I highly recommend Casa Florencia to my friends who should be passing through there. The Sunday breakfast was yummy too.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo