“Lovely and charming oasis in Antigua”
Review of Casa Encantada

Casa Encantada
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My husband and I stayed here for New Year's Eve in 2010. It didn't disappoint. Although our room was tiny, it was lovely and the atmosphere of the terrace and main rooms were cozy and classic. Breakfast was delicious and there is nothing better than eating a traditional Guatemalan meal with a view of the surrounding volcanoes. They invited their guests to share a champagne toast with them on New Year's Eve which was a nice gesture, and the staff was always accommodating. We highly recommend this intimate hotel if you want to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the main square.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lauren T

Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed four nights at Casa Encatada, a small hotel situated five blocks from the main plaza. It was a little further out than we felt comfortable with as far as walking to and from the plaza at night. The hotel is beautiful although very small - our room was really tiny, and we could not move around without bumping our elbows on the walls! For one night that would have been OK but we ended up feeling cramped. We recommend travelers choose one of the larger rooms if staying longer. The sheets and pillows were excellent however our bed was really hard and not very comfortable for us. The breakfasts were very good, with the coffee being the best we had during our entire visit to Guatemala! An issue we had with the hotel was that for our entire stay, we did not have the use of our room safe. Apparently the owner is the only person who has acccess to them, probably a good thing. But she was never there at the same time we were and the hotel staff did not have a way of opening ours up so we could use it. Without these issues we would have rated this hotel excellent since overall it really is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlanCat_c22
Reviewed 8 December 2011

This charming hotel has a real home feel with open fires and cozy beds out of a storybook tale. A lovely garden and breath taking views of the volcanos from the terrace. Hotel is in a nice quiet part of town within distance of everything closed to the museum, Church and ruins of San Francisco.The staff and service were great during our stay. I was stranded in Antigua with my daughters after a tour operator never showed. I tried a couple of different posadas near by but all did not open the door even though it was pouring and we were soaked. Casa Encantada not only open their doors but also helped us get transportation that was realiable. It's a luxury hotel so not really suited for small children.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Eluvs2travel_11
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Beautiful guest house, lovely staff. Fabulous value and a great breakfast. Quiet and safe area only a couple of minutes walk from the main square. Definitely stay here again if I came to Antigua

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I can't say enough about this beautiful property. The authentic decor and ambience was very much appreciated! Right when you enter the property, you are greeted by a lovely pool and fountain nestled in a garden. So quaint and romantic! I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. Also, stayed in the suite and it was beautiful!

The breakfast included with the stay is so delicious, overlooking the scenic views of the surrounding volcanoes while sipping coffee is an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: Next time we would love to stay in the room that you need to walk over stones on water to reach!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This was my first time to Guatemala and I stayed three nights at the hotel.

I arrived after 10pm and the staff were ready to greet me. 2 bottles of water were ready in my room - and they were free!

The room was very tidy and delightfully decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable and big! My room was on the ground floor with the windows on the street but there were wooden shutters to keep the light out.

The hotel is located on a quiet street, right next to the Xamora Language school - which I attended for a few days to learn Spanish. Centre of Antigua is literally 3 minutes walk away.

Breakfast is served on an open top floor with views of surrounding Volcanoes. Absolutely stunning indeed! The breakfast was good too, there pancakes were great!

The hotel is very safe and has large wooden gates with a peep hole. The gate is always locked but staff are always present to let you in and out 24/7. The staff were very helpful,even when I needed some clothers drying from a monsoon storm or a taxi needed to head off into the unknown.

The safe in my room was not working but they fixed it with half an hour. I had no problems with the safe after that.

I recommend this hotel. It is cheap for the luxurious feel it provides. It is not a very large hotel, like the Casa Santo Domingo, but it is really great value for money.

Only downside, but this is common with all the hotels I went to Guatemala, save the Casa Santo Domingo, is that you have to be in the recpetion area for WiFi to work properly.

Go to this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I found this hotel to be everything, and more, than I would expect. The decor is lovely, with Guatemalan antiques and handicrafts displayed throughout. It is spotlessly clean, with very comfortable and rooms, good beds and great pillows. I travelled to Guatemala alone to visit my daughter who is studying there, and I was taken care of very well by the staff at Casa Encantada. I cannot say enough good things about this little gem--you must go see for yourself!

Room Tip: I first stayed in room number 2, which looks over a busy road. While the road definitely quiets dow...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo