“tranquility”

Casa Encantada
Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

loved this quaint little hotel in the shadow of the volcano. It was the perfect place to enjoy the beautiful Antigua weather ... breakfast on rooftop, reading by fire in sitting room. Very unique access to my room (#6) across stepping stones in water.

Room Tip: This hotel is a sister hotel to the large conference hotel Porta Hotel Antigua, so as a guest you ha...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank PoppyQuinn
Fernando X, Gerente at Casa Encantada, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear PoppyQuinn,

We are glad the tranquility at Casa Encantada has charmed you as expected.

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Excellent venue and friendly, helpful staff. Booked easily online and transport arrangements to Guatemala City airport was arranged smoothly. Breakfasts were delicious on the charming roof terrace and we were made to feel thoroughly welcome. This was our second visit and I think the wi-fi has been upgraded as signal first clas compared with a year ago

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Fernando X, Gerente at Casa Encantada, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Mr. Richard C,

We are glad your stay has been as relaxing as you deserve.

Thank you for sharing your opinion!

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Casa Encantada is a wonderful gem in the town of Antigua. It gives new meaning to a perfect Boutique hotel experience. It is beautifully designed and the bedding and beds are extremely comfortable. It is in a great convenient location yet enough blocks away from the town square to avoid the noise at night. The staff are exceptional, friendly and helpful and all spoke remarkably great English. The rooftop patio for breakfast was so lovely and the living room common area felt like home, intimate and lovely. Internet is spotty so be sure to request help if you are unable to connect. There is an added bonus that we found out about upon checkin ... they have a sister hotel next door which is much larger and has a large pool and workout facility (and more reliable Internet). This made Casa Encantada even better, as we could easily walk around the corner to use their facilities. It was simply my favorite hotel in all of Guatemala.

Room Tip: For an added cool experience request one of the two rooms just outside the living room. You walk int...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobynW1953
Fernando X, Gerente at Casa Encantada, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

RobynW1953

We truly appreciate your comments which inspire our team to continue providing Best in Class Service at all times. Regarding internet services, we are working on it so this will not be an issue in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at Casa Encantada for a few nights in December. The staff were very welcoming and helpful with directions and recommendations for Antigua. The hotel is about a five-block walk from the main square of Antigua, so it was an easy walk to get to all the main areas of town but just far enough away that it was very quiet.

Our room was very comfortable and well-appointed. We chose a king-size room, which can be hard to find in Latin America, and it was lovely. The wi-fi signal was also very strong and we were able to stay connected well at this hotel.

Breakfast was included with our room and was served on a little rooftop terrace with volcano views. There was a nice selection to choose from.

Staff were also were very helpful in booking a hiking trip with a local company and getting us reservations for a tourist shuttle to our next stop of Panajachel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Fernando X, Gerente at Casa Encantada, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear land_shark77,

We are glad to know we accomplished your expectations regarding quality of service.

Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Loved Loved Loved this adorable boutique hotel which, if your tying to find it online is Hotel Casa Encantadas. The atmosphere was more like being with family .. so much so that I often was in/out of my room for periods (but in the hotel) without locking it and I know I wasn't the only one doing that! All the front desk staff were very nice & helpful and a special thanks to Melvin who offered to make me tea when I arrived after midnight, tired but too wound up to sleep. My favorite person, hands down, was Maria at breakfast who was more like a cheerful mother than a server! I'm not a breakfast person but I couldn't miss out starting my day with her or the amazing breakfasts. Breakfast was served on the open sunny rooftop deck but they would also bring it to your room or the indoor lounge area if you preferred. There were lots of choices but I recommend the full one with eggs, fried plantains, re-fried black beans (with a hint of garlic and sweet onion... yummy! ) etc... It was so big that I had it with only 1 egg and no bread after my first try at eating it all :)

The room was quaint and cozy ... too hot for me despite the fan and open windows (and cool nites). There was no doubt it had the high-end mattress and quality linens that are advertised but the bed was way too hard for me. Part of my reason for choosing this hotel was the reviews on the beds. I have sore hip bones and asked 3 staff members on each of my 1st three days if they could add something on top to make it softer. Each time I was told that would be no problem but nothing ever was done... I gave up asking. This is my only significant disappointment with my stay!

My non-significant issue was the inability of the staff to get a fire going in the lounge/sitting area. This was a wonderful room with huge bouquets of calla lilies, large burning candles and comfy chairs. It was the main "wifi" room for many of us and a great place to chat and drink wine in the evening. But the nights are cold and the room was brrrrr. Only twice in the 6-nights I stayed was a successful roaring fire accomplished for all of us to enjoy.

Also be certain to take a swim in the pool at the sister hotel on the next block. I had it almost to myself the two days I went. Unfortunately the service there is terrible and expensive poolside ... $10USD for a teeny tiny Margarita that took over 30min to get and I had to ask three times! I've heard other says don’t walk home late at night but I had no issues... passed one fellow who was a bit rough looking but that was it. I guess you go with your comfort level. Definitely some seedy characters around the town square/central park at night (which is about 5 blks away). During the day it is safe so enjoy wondering & exploring this town with so much history, character and charm.

Room Tip: probably the best rooms are the two main floor ones off the lounge/sitting area
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MoEnroute

Dear MoEnroute,

We really appreciate you have giving us the opportunity to read your review, we are glad you liked our services overall, and do not hesitate we'll share your opinion to our staff, so that we'll improve and exceed our guest expectations at all times.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

It was hard to judge this hotel on-line and the price was so reasonable I was not expecting a lot. I was so impressed with the decor, charm and coziness of the place. Breakfast on the roof deck was fabulous. Hotel staff was very accommodating and made all my sightseeing arrangements. Touring the town was fabulous and hiking the Placaya volcano was a great experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Fernando X, Gerente at Casa Encantada, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Mrs. Cheryl B,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Casa Encantada. We hope to see you again in a near future.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I heard that Casa Encantada built its reputation on being the first boutique hotel in Antigua to offer high-end mattresses and plush linens. That it still impresses today goes to show just how rare and important it still is to sleep on a bed that feels a mile deep.

Add to this the quiet sanctum of a little courtyard with a stone pathway laid over water with lit candles and rose petals all around, and you have a truly romantic environment to call your own at the end of a long day of tramping around the ruins. I couldn’t hear any traffic from the streets outside, and a fan above the bed ensured absolute peace. The room felt positively cozy.

The staff came and went and I could never figure out who was who, but everyone was pleasant and attentive. Be sure to take advantage of the little sitting room where over-sized candles burn on gothic candelabras and fresh white flowers pervade the space with their loveliness.

Also be certain to take a swim in the pool at the sister hotel next door; I had it to myself one evening as two Guatemalan gentlemen dozed in lounge chairs nearby. Don’t walk home late at night from the town but get back before dark, particularly on weekends when young people come in from the city with dubious intentions, and you might fumble for the doorbell to get inside the hotel. During the day is safe, however, and Casa Encantada is located just the right distance from the main colonial square; a perfect vantage point for exploring this town with so much history, character, and beauty.

Room Tip: One of the two rooms that open off of the inner courtyard with stones laid out over a tranquil water...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Fernando X, Gerente at Casa Encantada, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Mediterranean_Girl,

Thank you so much for letting us know your perception about our services, you motivate our team to continue providing an excelent and personalized service at all times.