El Carmen Hotel
US$93
US$80
US$214
US$195
The Yellow House(Antigua)(Great Value!)
US$21
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscentral parkgreat rooftoprooftop areawhere breakfast is servedcolonial architecturethe wi fitwo nightspleasant staywe loved our staythe main squarehigh ceilingsperfect locationblockguatemalamarkettoiletriesmattress
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Spent three nights here at the end of a tour from Cancun. The hotel is situated within a couple of hundred metres of the Central plaza, however there are lots of other hotels equally close to the centre of town.

Rooms are situated with the windows looking out onto a central courtyard, which is roofed. Apparently it was quite noisy when it rained before the roof was installed. The rooms were comfortable enough and the lack of air condiioning was not a problem. A portable fan was available although we did not use it.

the room however was quite musty, although I did not find this to be objectionable and I consider it to be not unusual in an old colonial building with character.

Two main issues were the intermittent hot water, which we never came to terms with and the noise from the courtyard when other guests chose to stay up late or when staff started making breakfast at 05.30.

The roof terrace was an excellent place to relax with great views.

The staff particularly those on reception were very polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark G
El Carmen H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Carmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Thank you very much for your observations, we will work on every highlited aspect. We are constantly working to improve.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

My wife and I took a short term mission trip to Guatemala. We stayed at El Carmen. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, particularly when my wife became ill. The room was comfortable. The hot water was a bit sporadic, but other than that - no complaints. The breakfasts were great!

If given the opportunity to return to Guatemala, we will gladly stay there again!

Room Tip: Our room was a suite - facing the courtyard it was in the back on the right. The added small room acted as a sound buffer between our room and the courtyard. Great room!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DaRev
El Carmen H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Carmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2018

Thank you very much for your comments! We are happy to hear that our staff was helpful to you! We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 7 January 2012

If I hadn't been staying as part of a group tour I would have moved out. Truly dismal. I think the rooms on the upper floors are better and have windows, but the ground floor rooms were noisy, old, worrying electrics, no privacy so the bathroom window opened onto the courtyard where breakfasts were served, damp, smelly, horrible and nylon sheets, eeughhh. A travelling companion had a ceiling leaking onto the adjacent bed and had to be moved to a marginally better room. It's only benefit - location, near everything you would want to visit. Thank goodness it was only for one night.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

We appreciate your comments, we are so sorry to hear the inconveniences. We have worked to improve in each area.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

As a frequent traveler to Guatemala since 1991, I have stayed at the El Carmen Hotel many, many times. I like the location especially as I have slowed down a bit with age, and it is nice to be in such a convenient location. I love the rooftop and have often entertained friends where we've enjoyed the wonderful views, sat at a table with snacks and chilled wine and held fun conversations. The delicious buffet breakfast has often started my days and I enjoy the very friendly and helpful staff at this hotel ~ many who have become good friends. I've known the owners and they always welcome me and treat me like family. Yes, there can be some noise, but it is short lasted and doesn't bother very much. I sleep well, and I feel completely safe and should I want to read or rest in the sun, there's always that great rooftop! I will be there October 2011 and my favorite room is reserved for me!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank tiguaguy

It is always a pleasure to recieve you in our hotel! We are glad to hear that you enjoy our services and facilities every time you visit us!

Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed for 4 nights as part of a GAP tour and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.
From our arriveal we were treated really well and a few of us were moved as one or two rooms had no TV. They could not do enough for us and we were given access to their kitchen to cook, their meeting rooms, the internet and cheap cheap international phone calls.
Some reviewers comment negatively about service but I cannot agree with this. Yes the hotelis not perfect and yes there is no pool on the roof. But it is clean, safe and in a brilliant location 2 minutes from the nentral square. El CArmen is not luxurious by any means, but when you are not interested in luxury and only want to be safe, clean and well located, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bozeman-Dublin

Thank you very much for your review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you soon!