“Super but Noisy on Weekends”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Casa Rustica

Hotel Casa Rustica
Ranked #46 of 82 Hotels in Antigua
“Super but Noisy on Weekends”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I slept to the Casa Rustica 3 nights (2 nights at the beginning of our vacation and 1 night in the middle) and it was super! We had a room with shared bathrrom because when I first made the reservation, the one with provate bathroom was unavailable. I was extremely surprise with the shared bathroom: VERY VERY clean. So for the night in the middle of our trip we change the reservation for the same room. We had a room for 4 people, it's a bit small, but the beds are comfy and also VERY clean.

The only negative point I can see is that on weekend nights it is VERRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYY noisy (I heard the music even though I'm sleeping with earplugs!!). There is a bar just in front of the hotel so if you don't plan to party all night long ... plan to hear the music anyways. I asked the receptionist if there were other room less noisy (because my dad was coming later on on a friday night) and she told me all the rooms hear the music...This is the only negative point I have...

The staff was nice, the location is perfect, the beds are comfortable and all of this at a very reasonnable price.

I would go back there anytime...on week days =)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
raymore
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This place is really nice and clean. You have the option of getting rooms with private and shared bathrooms. The Private are about $25 per night for 2 people. They do not serve any food, but do have a full kitchen to use. they also have a nice pool table that you can rent for $2 per hour. They have a coffee machine, $1 per cup as well. they also have a tipico store in the front. While the goods are nice, it is better to go to market and get it cheaper. They do take ccard and the owner also owns several other hotels in antigua that are more upscale. For $5 you can go to one of those hotels and rent a hot tub and swimming pool. This place in 1 block from the main square and about 3 from the market. Highly recommend this place! If you are traveling and plan to return, they also rent out storage space where you can leave your luggage for days for about $1 per day.

Room Tip: no tips, they are all decent rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank devildog0800
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I chose this hotel because it was a Lonely Planet recommended hotel. This hotel is absolutely stunning and the location is ideal. My room was on the 2nd floor in the courtyard. Right outside of my door was the spiral staircase to the amazing roof top terrace. I regret that I was unable to spend more time sitting here. The hotel, bathroom, and room were very clean and the staff was very friendly. I do have a few complaints that may not bother anyone else. First of all, I am a very light sleeper. There is a rooster next door that woke me up very early. Also, although I was there on a weeknight the band from the hostel across the street played VERY loudly, and did not stop until about 1 am. This is not a place to stay if you are a light sleeper. Although I was aware that the bathroom was shared, the bathroom was much too far for middle of the night trips. I guess I assumed that 'shared' bathroom, meant that I would be sharing it with one other room and it would be close by. It was down a flight of stairs, around the corner, and through the kitchen. The hotel is pitch dark at night also.

Room Tip: Due to the band at the hostel next door, and the rooster next door, all rooms are noisy at night.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Brandee S
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We got a really nice room with a private bath for $30US. The private bath turned out to be very important as I got pretty sick while we were staying at Casa Rustica (unrelated to the hotel, I assure you). As a result of being sick we had to change some plans - the staff at the hotel were more than accommodating, even going so far as to get up at 4am to let our shuttle driver know that our plans had changed! We were very grateful for their help and for being so understanding.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JandB1018
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed here for one week.I would book here again because the staff is accommodating and very friendly, they have laundry/Spanish lessons (fee service) on site, billiards/drinks on site for a fee, clean kitchen, clean rooms (daily room service with towels), clean bathrooms (the shared bathroom by room #6 has a shower that clogs so the water backs up a bit).

There was a rooster next door that liked to make noise at all hours of the night, but nothing horrible. Noisy on the weekends but I would assume that it is like that way at many places downtown. The location overall is great (close to the park, close to many popular restaurants)

The price we were quoted at was $49/night for 3 people with private bathroom and $69/night for 3 people on the weekend. It was more than I was expecting and it does not include any breakfast/coffee.

Overall--great experience and a very nice facility with good management.

Room Tip: The room with two beds and a private bath was nice (#12), however #6 had three beds with a shared ba...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in Casa Rustica for 3 nights over New Years. As other people have discussed, the noise level was very high, although we did expect this having read the reviews and with it being New Years week. There was a rooster every morning that kept us up, and I know of another couple who switched hotels because of this. It didn't bother us too much, but something to note. The noise level is, as others have said, high.

That said, we thought the hotel was average. We loved the location and loved the rooftop patio. It was quiet, a good place to lie and read a book and had a fantastic volcano view. We originally booked our hotel for 4 nights and when we needed to switch to 3 in order to squeeze in a trip to Semuc Champey, we were given a lot of grief. We appreciate flexibility in hotel staff so found this frustating. Finally they agreed to let us only stay 3 nights (we hadn't paid yet, so it wasn't a matter of giving a refund, it was just changing our reservation). We emailed them this change a month in advance and they said no. In person we asked again, and had to fight them a bit on it before they finally agreed, although ended up charging us 15% of the 4th night that we never stayed. Other hotels are much more flexible so this was frustrating and made us like the hotel less. The hotel was clean; no bugs. All in all, decent hotel, great location, not so great service.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Was recommended by the non-profit I work with in Antigua. The room was smaller in size and I had shared accommodations, since I was alone, there was more than enough space. The shared facilities and property was always clean, secure and staff was great, even the friendly dogs. I would highly recommend them and have again booked a room for next month!

Room Tip: Ask for room away from nightclub, and don't let the dogs out!
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled solo