Hotel Casa Rustica
US$141
US$86
US$80
US$197
All reviewsshared bathroomrooftop terracescentral parkbar next doorhot waterlight sleepernice roomclean roomsbeautiful citythe main squareguatemala citycomputersblocknoiseearplugspatiotours
Reviewed 1 June 2013

With numerous visits to Antigua having been part of our holidays, it is seldom that we return to the same hotel. We would, however, return to Casa Rustica and would, and have, recommended it to our friends that travel. Because we consider a visit to Antigua a gastronomic holiday, nearness to our many favorite restaurants is reason enough. Additionally, in our travels we've always booked a room with a private bath.

The room we had on the second floor of the rear courtyard building was very clean,bright, and well ventilated, as was the private bath. Unlike some other reviewers, we had no issues with noise from the local bars and we slept well on quality, firm mattresses with decent linens. The shower has hot water (not a widow maker) and is fully tiled.The water closet was a bit cramped for someone with long legs, however. Not enough of a drawback that we would not return, though. Even though the room was not air conditioned we had no issues with it being hot, and would often come back between walks and watch the television for a bit whilst resting on the bed. There was in our room a small desk and chair that was useful when we needed to use our laptop to check in with the world at large. WiFi is free and available throughout the complex. We found the Owner's three dogs living in the lobby to be great fun and they would usually walk us all the way to our room when we returned. When we would sit in the private courtyard having our morning espressos they would wander over to give us a greeting. We found them charming.

Cleanliness, (a MUST), location, ambiance, privacy and value are important to us. Casa Rustica meet all of our requirements, and we will return to this quaint little Antigua gem again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the rear building behind the interior courtyard. Elevated apartments are also available (we will book one next trip).
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IntrepidTravelers2
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed here in January 2011 (I just don't usually sign up for sites like this which is why the delay...and thus the incorrect date of travel). I was looking for a place for myself and my 3 cats for an undetermined amount of time. The receptionists were really great about letting me pay each day. Once they had to change my room because of a previous reservation, but they helped me move my things to the new room. Because of the cats, the cleaning ladies were great about only cleaning the room while I was there. (The cats are skittish and there are dogs in the lobby; me being around to put them in their cage was the only real option.) I'm sure they would have even cleaned the litter box if I had asked them to, but I just asked for an extra trash bag which they willingly provided.

A lot of people mention the noise from the bar next door, but I ended up staying 3 weeks and never noticed a problem with the noise...and I was in a room which shared a wall with the bar.

This is not a very handicapped-accessible hotel. There are only 2 smallish rooms which can be reached without going up or down stairs. For me, this isn't a problem, but it's something which should be noted.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank twinklette
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The hotel is reasonably priced and in a very central location. There are really nice people running it. The free wi-fi worked all the time (which is more than I can say for the fancier hotel I stayed at earlier in my trip).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I've stayed here in several occasions, Its a nice hotel, it's really clean, i've stayed in rooms with private bathroom and the shared. The shared bathroom is cleaned very frequently which is awesome. It's a hotel to spend a nice night but honestly, if you are in Antigua it's to go out and walk and see new places, not to stay in the hotel and for that purpose, it's perfect. It's 1 block away from the park, and has great places really near by.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah_dcm_87
Reviewed 29 April 2013

For a budget hotel this is a great place to stay. Close to everything. Rooms were clean and well kept. Staff was very helpful. I would stay again. Yes the bar was loud on the weekend but it did not bother us much, quite during the week. Dogs were friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple