“Great location, great atmosphere.”

Posada de San Carlos
Nebaj, Guatemala
“Great location, great atmosphere.”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I live in Guatemala and come to Antigua from time to time. After I found this place a few months ago, I haven't stayed anywhere else. I stay in the dorm rooms usually - very clean, with really comfortable beds and surprisingly soft sheets! The price is great for the location and quality (Q75/night for the dorms...about $10). The patio and terrace area are really nice - a great place to have a beer or glass of wine and relax. You can't beat the location - two blocks from the central park and close to a lot of great restaurants and bars. The owners are a friendly, helpful couple who are able to give you recommendations on places to go and arrange tours. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BDU79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

This is an updated review after discussions with the reasonable and friendly other owner/manager Carlos.
He expressed concerns at my overly critical review. I admit I wrote my review after a very frustrating day followed up by an extra person squished in to our room.
I would firstly like to make valid Carlos' effort with customers and guests. He ensures everyone feels welcome and offers up freely suggestions and helpful hints, but the same can't be said for the female partner. The rooms although very squished are kept clean the only bathroom is also clean and has hot water always. The wifi is fast and pretty reliable. The beds are comfortable and the linen clean.

Let me say after staying I was stunned by the 5 * ratings after staying here. This was the same for the other travellers we were talking with. We stayed in the dorm for 3 nights. There were 14 beds cramped in 2 rooms. One shower only and 2 toilets. There were 4 small (daypack size) lockers for all the guests.
The second night they moved furniture to accommodate another single bed taking the total to 15 people. Absolutely ridiculous!!! You had to squeeze past that bed to get to the bathroom and out the door.
We questioned this and were ignored.
You couldn't climb up on the top bunk with the fan running or you'd lose a limb. The steps up we're right next to the blades.
The room doesn't lock. The noise from the street is unrelenting resulting in no sleep despite ear plugs and face mask. The room is also quiet noisy with people coming and going. The door doesn't lock and constantly slams.
I asked to move to a room at the back of the property but was told the dorms were only at the front and there were no other rooms available.
The female host was less than helpful bordering on arrogant. Was not forthcoming with any local information and less than approachable.
The after hours door bell is loud and also wakes you.
The location is ok but Antigua is quite small and you can walk everywhere.
The food and drinks although not tested were quite pricey.
One saving grace was the taco shop across the road (Restaurante y Taqueria El Faro) awesome tasty cheap eats.
Sure it was cheap but for a few more dollars I'd rather space and a bit more quiet.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Marewa
Carlos R, Owner at Posada de San Carlos, responded to this review, 19 October 2014
Hi J.

Thank you very much for you review. I'm happy to let you know that we rearranged the bunks in the dorm so now it fills more spacious (I don't know why I didn't do it before :-( It was an easy fix, you were right) also we had made a 10 locker cabinet for used of our guests.

Hope you come back soon and see all our improvements.

Regards,
Carlos
Montero, Santa Cruz, Bolivia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

absolutely great place- stayed recently with a group of 4 in a private room. the romos were clean and comfortable. the wáter was hot. the location is ideal. close to the market and right around the corner from great bars! the staff were amazing and really helped me out finding my way around! will definitely be staying here again when i return to antigua!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Claire M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I made our reservation thinking Hostal Posada San Carlos wouldn't meet our expectations. We were so wrong! Carlos and Hazel greeted us in a very welcoming way. Hospitality was five stars and beyond. Even my kids were treated with such kindness to the point that my son said that Carlos was one of the coolest guy in Guatemala. Carlos and my son played video games for a while at no charge. We had free wifi, clean rooms, ceiling fan, video surveillance for safety, hot water, towels and soup, daily maid service and much more. The restaurant offers great food. My favorite from their menu was the tamales, and my kids favorite were the delicious french toasts. In addition, there is a beautiful courtyard and a roof top terrace where we could eat, read, or just chill. Unfortunately we only stayed at San Carlos for two nights because we already had reservations in another hotel. And this is where Carlos went beyond. When it was time to move to the other hotel, he offered to give me a ride to the other hotel with my luggage, and he did. How cool is that!? Oh! and did I mention that this hotel is just a block and a half away from the central park? I highly recommend this place to any one. Thank you Carlos and Hazel for making us feel very comfortable.

Room Tip: The back rooms are very quiet but on weekends you might hear the noise coming from the streets. Pret...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LovingFun
Austin
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The was the best decision of our trip. A girlfriend and I were balling on a budget through Guatemala, and this place was the best find of the trip. We got a room to ourselves (which could have slept 7 more people if we wanted) for such a good price. There was a party going on one of the days...so figure that in, but it was pretty quiet at night. The best was that we went out one night, and the next morning Carlos was worried because he hadn't seen me come in the night before. It was sweet that he kept tabs.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Afton H
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a pleasant, clean hotel/hostel just a few minutes away from the central park so there are many restaurants, shops and tourist attractions within close walking distance. They have a beautiful shady courtyard and a roof top terrace where you get great views of the sunsets and surrounding volcanoes. The owners and staff are very friendly and helpful. They speak English well but they are very patient if you want to practice your Spanish. I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank bob112112
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stay in this lovely hostal four nights everything was great, carlos and hazel are such a wonderful people who truly believe what hospitality is, the rooms are clean bathrooms and they willing to go extra mile to give u the best service they made sure u feel safe! If u bored at night Carlos will make good company his such a character either watch a movie or simple have conversation or there are always groups talking about their life in the garden/hallway. Make sure u booked your tours with them, they on time very professional. I can sit here and write a book how wonderfully this place was and Antigua is like back in time lovely :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo