“Clean, comfortable and secure”

Hotel Casa de Las Fuentes
Ranked #50 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed here for seven nights and had no complaints! Because of our schedule, most of the days we had breakfast and dinner here as well. A couple of our team members were diabetic and needed sugar free food. Each day the staff made sure to provide sugar free yogurts and sugar free drinks for them at each meal. You need to let them know the day before you will want whatever meal but they are very accomodating and we found the food delicious and very substantial! Prices were of course more than you would spend at fast food (breakfast $5.50 American and lunch/dinner $8.00 American) for that you get a a full, hot meal with dessert too! With the added bonus of being able to relax in peace and quiet.

Our rooms were clean and beds were firm and comfortable. Staff was always cheeful and helpful when we needed anything. Wireless access was available in the dining area - would have been nice to have in the room but I still had a place to work in comfort and undisturbed.

We enjoyed the resident dog, Rex and the cat. Unless you are seriously allergic though don't be concerned about them - both are very well mannered and won't bother you if you aren't an animal fan.

On the whole, I would recommend this hotel very highly - clean,fairly priced, good services, gracious host who made us feel very welcome!

Room Tip: If you are a late sleeper - ask for the 1st floor, back corner-I think it was #19 but not certain! I...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 May 2011

I stayed here recently and the property was clean and pleasant. Rooms were ample and maintained very well. Door lock on my room wiggled and didn't feel very secure, but the property is gated at night.

My main complaint was the advertised rate were listed in US dollars. So I called, left my credit card and reserved a room. When I arrived, they said they had already charged my credit card earlier in the week, but instead of charging me in US dollars, they charged me in Guatemalan Quetzales (no big surprise here), but the exchange rate was very high and above the market exchange rate. Ended up costing me well over their listed rate once you converted back to US dollars on my credit card statement. To me it's unethical to advertise in US dollars and use your own exchange rate. What's to stop them from charging 10%, 20%, 30% over market rate with their so-called house exchange rate? If you're not careful or ask up front, you could end up paying a lot more than expected by using their house exchange rate instead of the market rate. Once I arrived I asked them to refund my credit card and I would pay the listed rate in cash, but they said they had already charged it and they couldn't process refunds (which didn't sound right to me).

Also, they charged me nearly $8 because they said the towel I used in the shower floor was too dirty. This was a big surprise to me when I was checking out, so another recommendation - inspect your towels and reject any that are dirty or stained or else you may be forced to pay for them.

My recommendation, pay in US dollars in person and don't leave credit cards. I went during a busy week, Easter, so I had to secure my room. But any other time and I would not leave a credit card in advance.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JazzmanUS
Reviewed 4 May 2011

During my stay at the hotel, service, cleanliness, tranquility, food and staff could find there was fabulous. A place to come back anytime. Recommended to spend a great trip. I think it's because the administration is focused by a local family and have kept the good hosts that are in Guatemala.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank karlbarreda
Reviewed 25 February 2011

My wife and I had the opportunity to spend 2 weeks here and the staff made us feel welcome and were truly pleased to have us as guests. Every wish was handled in a considerate way and we felt at home. The hotel has a beautiful courtyard and breakfast area along with large rooms.

The Hotel is a short walk to the centre of Antigua and to the market but just far enough away from the centre to be quiet at night. We will be sure to look them up again when we return to beautiful Guatemala

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank riverdevil
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Stayed one week while on a mission trip. The service, cleanliness, food, location - all absolutely fantastic. If and when I return to Antigua, this is the place I want to stay. Highest recommendation to the staff and hotel!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Casa de las Fuentes is a lovely property located across from the Parque San Sebastien. I like the fact that it is within walking distance of all the sites, but slightly outside the lively town center, which can be crowded and boisterous. It is a comfortable escape, with clean rooms, reliable hot water, and helpful staff.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Quiet rooms around a beautiful garden.
Everything is clean and comfortable.
Great staff: flexible and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends