“Very pleasant stay”

Hotel Casa de Las Fuentes
Ranked #45 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We had a great stay at Casa de las Fuentes. The staff were kind and welcoming, always there to let us in (no matter the hour) or fulfill any room needs. They speak very little English, so practice your Spanish! The hotel gardens are beautiful and make for a really lovely colonial atmosphere.

There's free wifi available, though the signal may not reach your room. There's bottled water on every main hallway and the rooms are well equipped - warm water, amenities, towels, toilet paper, etc. I found the room to be quite comfortable (just know that there is no AC) and quiet, minus the nearby roosters.

We were traveling with a big group so we didn't participate in any meals; however there's a bakery just across the street should the need arise. (We had an early morning departure for Pacaya volcano and the staff kindly made sure the bakery would open for us.)

Lastly, the hotel is definitely on the upper corner of town - not central - but Antigua is so small that it's still very walkable. I'd say the center of town is a 10-15 min walk, or a very cheap tuktuk or cab ride.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 May 2013

This was a really nice spot. Don't be fooled by the dull exterior; inside, the Spanish colonial home is a lush garden oasis filled with tropical plants and many spots to sit down in the outdoor courtyards to take in the sun. The hotel appears popular with Central American tourists and offers very clean rooms, decorated in a simple but entirely appropriate style.

The owner is friendly, and some of the staff speak English, though others don't. All are friendly and welcoming. I would recommend being armed with some Spanish if at all possible. The breakfasts are simple and okay, but you need to let them know the night before what time you would like to eat breakfast. Part of the old garden has been covered over (there are rooms built above) and this forms the breakfast room. You can eat there but it's much more pleasant to sit in the garden if the weather allows...which it usually does.

The wifi is free - just ask for the code from the desk. It's a bit weak in the rooms, so take your iPad to breakfast with you, or linger in the courtyard where there is a strong signal.

Finally...and this is important...do not forget to pack some earplugs. There are chickens & roosters next door and they start crowing and sqwaking in the middle of the night. It will drive you INSANE if you do not take your earplugs. That being said, you'll need them everywhere else in Guatemala, so don't let that put you off this charming hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrsHarris3
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Loved it here! The rooms were very clean and spacious. We stayed 5-6 nights and had no problems. The outside does not look like much but on the inside it is beautiful (that describes most of Antigua). There was usually someone there that spoke English which was nice for me. But at night I had to stumble through my Spanish. But practice makes perfect.They even helped get some flowers put in our room for my wife as an anniversary present. Everything is a walk away, though it is a little bit on the edge of town. Take a tuc-tuc if you don't feel like walking. Have the owner cut some of the fruit from the trees she has in the garden. One of them, I forget which, was really great. The staff here was the best part. The would talk to us, give us recommendation, ask what they could do to make our stay better. You couldn't ask for better service.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Behind the façade hides a beautiful and atmospheric hotel in colonial style. The rooms are arranged around 2 courtyards: the 1st courtyard serves as parking for guests, the 2nd is a lawn with terrace seats where you can have breakfast or enjoy the sun. The hotel is situated just within the borders of the city centre; it is about a 10 minutes’ walk to the heart of centre.

The rooms are tastefully decorated, also in colonial style. The beds are comfortable and pretty oversized. The rooms have a modern, clean bathroom that meets Western standards, with a well-controllable shower and big fluffy towels. And what a luxury to have toilet paper in abundance, for the first time after two weeks of travel in Mexico and Guatemala! It was a bit bothersome though that all towels were collected in the morning and the clean towels were not delivered until the afternoon.

The hotel has good breakfast with the usual choices. The cup of yoghurt on the side was a nice surprise.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yerun
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Not a romantic place but it's a nice atmosphere. Plus it's not expensive. The rooms are clean and spacious, with tv, hot water, parking... all the basics. I reckon it is unusual to find spacious rooms in Antigua Guatemala (standard rooms). Parking is a bit tricky because the gate remains closed and the parking space is a bit small, so you have to ask someone to open it for you everytime you go in and out, and be very careful not to hit the walls or other cars when maneuvering. There are some hotels in Antigua that don't have a parking space, so in the end it's better to have your car in the same building you're staying.

We didn't eat at the hotel because breakfast is not included. I read you must tell them that you'd like to have breakfast the next morning, in order for them to be prepared.

I also read that the area around the hotel is a little dangerous. All you have to do is walk carefully, use your car when going out at night or at least get a ride on a motorcycle taxi. That's what we did... walked during the day and took the car when going out at night.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed here for seven nights and had no complaints! Because of our schedule, most of the days we had breakfast and dinner here as well. A couple of our team members were diabetic and needed sugar free food. Each day the staff made sure to provide sugar free yogurts and sugar free drinks for them at each meal. You need to let them know the day before you will want whatever meal but they are very accomodating and we found the food delicious and very substantial! Prices were of course more than you would spend at fast food (breakfast $5.50 American and lunch/dinner $8.00 American) for that you get a a full, hot meal with dessert too! With the added bonus of being able to relax in peace and quiet.

Our rooms were clean and beds were firm and comfortable. Staff was always cheeful and helpful when we needed anything. Wireless access was available in the dining area - would have been nice to have in the room but I still had a place to work in comfort and undisturbed.

We enjoyed the resident dog, Rex and the cat. Unless you are seriously allergic though don't be concerned about them - both are very well mannered and won't bother you if you aren't an animal fan.

On the whole, I would recommend this hotel very highly - clean,fairly priced, good services, gracious host who made us feel very welcome!

Room Tip: If you are a late sleeper - ask for the 1st floor, back corner-I think it was #19 but not certain! I...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I stayed here recently and the property was clean and pleasant. Rooms were ample and maintained very well. Door lock on my room wiggled and didn't feel very secure, but the property is gated at night.

My main complaint was the advertised rate were listed in US dollars. So I called, left my credit card and reserved a room. When I arrived, they said they had already charged my credit card earlier in the week, but instead of charging me in US dollars, they charged me in Guatemalan Quetzales (no big surprise here), but the exchange rate was very high and above the market exchange rate. Ended up costing me well over their listed rate once you converted back to US dollars on my credit card statement. To me it's unethical to advertise in US dollars and use your own exchange rate. What's to stop them from charging 10%, 20%, 30% over market rate with their so-called house exchange rate? If you're not careful or ask up front, you could end up paying a lot more than expected by using their house exchange rate instead of the market rate. Once I arrived I asked them to refund my credit card and I would pay the listed rate in cash, but they said they had already charged it and they couldn't process refunds (which didn't sound right to me).

Also, they charged me nearly $8 because they said the towel I used in the shower floor was too dirty. This was a big surprise to me when I was checking out, so another recommendation - inspect your towels and reject any that are dirty or stained or else you may be forced to pay for them.

My recommendation, pay in US dollars in person and don't leave credit cards. I went during a busy week, Easter, so I had to secure my room. But any other time and I would not leave a credit card in advance.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple