“A wonderful hotel all around”

Palacio de Dona Leonor
Ranked #31 of 82 Hotels in Antigua
mason, ohio
“A wonderful hotel all around”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This hotel is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. We were with a large group, occupying most of the rooms, and each room was magnificently decorated. The staff was wonderful and the breakfasts were perfect every day. And the location cannot be beat. I plan to stay here each time I visit Antigua.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Basel
Reviewed 17 June 2012

An excellent hotel. Very welcoming – the manager and staff greeted us on arrival. Efficient check-in and out. The hotel, the sixteenth century palace of the daughter of the conquistador Pedro de Alvarado, is built around a central shady courtyard with a tiled, splashing fountain and lush planting. We had breakfasts and dinner served at tables here – a lovely place to eat (separate review of the restaurant). Excellent breakfast of freshly squeezed orange juice, superb Guatemalan coffee, and a choice of hot dishes all of which were excellent including a first rate Eggs Benedict. Our room was “Paula”, very luxurious, with a huge bathroom. Safe provided.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
israel
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We had a lovely time staying at the Palacio de Dona Leonor. We stayed at our beginning of tour and returned to the same hotel at the end, as we enjoyed it so much.
The hotel is in a very good location at the center next to the central plaza and cathedral.
The room was very big with two double beds, and a wonderful modern bathroom. The room looks into a lovely garden courtyard, very well maintained. The staff were very friendly and service was excellent.Very much recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The Palacio de Dona Leonor is a beautiful property with rooms that surround a lovely garden courtyard. The property is located in the heart of Antigua close to the center of town, so you can walk everywhere. Each room is very unique and different, so if you have the opportunity check them out. If you are visiting during Semana Santa, make sure and request a balcony room so you can view the processions. It is amazing to see!!! The hotel is full of beautiful antiques and artwork. We ate breakfast at the hotel every day and the service and food were good. Loved the Fried Plantains!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Marion, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We really enjoyed Palacio de Dona Leonor. The room was large and comfortable with a nice view of the garden in the courtyard. we did not eat at the restaurant but were very pleased with the referrals the staff gave us to other eateries. We would return again. The only downside is that they have no screens and there was a mosquito buzzing about one night, but screens don't seem to be typical in Guatemala as we did not find any at other hotels so I guess this is the norm. Thus, take some bug repellent and you will be fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor so you don't have to go up and down the stairs to get to the c...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
los angeles, ca
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Just gorgeous. The grounds were wonderful, the staff, beyond helpful and the rooms were lovely. We had an amazing room with a balcony overlooking the street and I enjoyed sitting out there with our baby to look around.
The main thing that made this place so excellent was the staff who went out of their way to help us and accommodate me. I had broken my foot severely the day before we arrived and was on crutches. The staff got ice for me, helped me up and down the stairs, offered to move rooms, the list goes on. They were incredibly nice and gracious. I've never had an experience where caring for myself was nearly impossible, but anyone who may have any special needs or more help for whatever reason, you will no problems here. The staff was incredible.

The only problem with this place? We didn't stay longer! I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2011
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I would love to be able to give this hotel 5 stars as I agree with so many of the other reviews here about it's great location, elegance, peaceful courtyard, outstanding restaurant and generally excellent service.

However, the devil is in the details -- and in the follow up after leaving. To the latter point: I find it unacceptable under any circumstances, especially when a hotel is as well recognized as the Dona Leonar, when the management refuses to respond to inquiries after the stay about expenses charged without explanation. In my case, they added a charge to my shuttle to the airport without telling me ahead of time or at the time I gave permission to add it to my bill. They had responded very quickly before I arrived to various questions I had via email, but they have not responded to me about this and other charges almost a week after my departure.

Similarly, I did not get an explanation of charges on my breakfast. I reserved a room with breakfast included. But the only thing they did not charge me for was juice and coffee. Anything I ordered off the menu was billed to me. When I have stayed at other hotels in Antigua, breakfast included juice, breakfast, AND an entree off the menu. At no time upon my arrival or at breakfast was this explained to me.

Devilish details.My room did not have air conditioning -- it was so warm in the room on my first night I could not get to sleep. The shower has very weak water pressure -- and the hot water goes on and off. There are iron door stops on the antique room front doors. Occasionally they slip into the holes in the ground and you get locked out -- this happened to me twice. I paid more for my shuttle than I had at other hotels in Antigua, and I did not get a van as was the case with those places. Rather, I got a beat up old taxi. And the hotel had not communicated to the driver that I had paid for the trip on my account at the hotel.

It is a shame that a hotel which is so attractive, comfortable, and well appointed in almost all regards would have these short comings and failure of management accountability. I could see the Dona Leonor easily being a slam-dunk five star hotel. But it needs to work out some kinks and become better in its communication with its clients.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo