“The best hostel we've been to!”
Review of The Yellow House

The Yellow House
Ranked #10 of 124 Speciality Lodging in Antigua
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful rooftop terrace, very clean, comfortable beds, the BEST (included) breakfast ever, very helpful and friendly staff, free drinking water, and well located. To top it off, they are very eco-friendly, with recycling, solar panels, non-toxic cleaners, and more.

Highly recommended!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was without a doubt the cleanest hostel/hotel/guest house I have ever stayed in. The cleaning ladies are just amazing - you walk out of a bathroom and they go straight in to spruce it up again! The rooms were really comfortable and nicely decorated, and of course absolutely immaculate. Breakfast was lovely (and included) - lots of choice and eaten on the roof terrace. Not a party hostel so a quiet and safe place to stay as the doors are locked at night. The staff were very helpful and helped us book our onward bus travel. We didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I moved across the street to Yellow House because my room at Casa Jacaranda didn't have an outlet in the room. I was pleased to find that my room had not one but two outlets in a very small room with a single bed. I don't really care too much about the size of the room as I'm out on the town for most of the day anyways.

The bathrooms were very clean but they were downstairs. The upstairs terrace was nice and quiet with a couple hammocks and some couches. One of the ladies at the front desk spoke excellent English was helpful with booking shuttle buses and whatnot.

The only complaint I have it that there are no locks on the doors! It's the not the end of the world because I just took all my valuables with me, but I don't see why you can't either provide a lock during check in or offer them for a price. The lady handed me a key and it took my 15 minutes to figure out that it didn't actually do anything. It just had the number on it in case I forgot which room I was staying in...Maybe bringing your own lock and key is a common thing while backpacking, but I've honestly never seen it before.

Room Tip: Make sure you have your own lock.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Charlie S
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

First place we stayed on our trip and has been one of the best so far. Nice room, plenty of clean bathrooms, good breakfast included and nice staff. Also in a good location with a nice roof terrace to relax. Didnt use the attached travel agency but a useful addition.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I spent 2 nights in 2 different rooms at the Yellow House at the beginning and end of my trip. The first night was spent upstairs in room 7, I think and the last night was downstairs in room 4.

I was worried the downstairs room would be stuffy and noisy, but it had a window facing a planted area - and other than 1 loud woman in the hallway on a cell phone once, I heard minimal noise from other guests and the wonderful women who make breakfast. The room was full of beautiful Guatemalan craft items.

In fact, the upstairs rooms can be noisy, depending who is hanging out on the roof. My first night was definitely noisier than my last.

The hostel has a great, helpful travel agency on site and a nice, helpful front desk staff. When my San Pedro shuttle (arranged by my Spanish school, not the Yellow House) was 2 hours late, they called every 15 minutes to ask without me having to suggest it. The return shuttle i arranged through Yellow House to the airport arrived pretty much on time.

The property is well located to the main square, La Merced church, the Arch, many great restaurants and bars - and the bus station/crafts market.

When I was awoken at 5:23 am by what turned out to be a 6.9 earthquake at the epicenter on the Pacific coast of Guatemala, I was glad to be in such a sturdy, cement block building. The whole building shook like the inside of a washing machine on the spin cycle, but there was no damage. Cecelia, who is either the manager or owner, told me they consider milder events like this a rumble (I forgot the word she used in Spanish), not a full blown earthquake.

Breakfast was substantial with a lot of variety. When I thought my Spanish school's van was coming at 7am (instead of 8:30 as originally stated, or 9:15 when they actually arrived), the women made sure I had food before I thought I had to be ready to go. They even made me pancakes.

The bathrooms were always spotless, and actually had hooks, unlike many other hotel bathrooms I've experienced in Guatemala. Note to future guests: one of the 2 bathrooms with showers was much bigger than the other, so don't grab the first one you see. Also, one of the bathrooms has more counter space than the other 3, so it is worth doing a little recon if you appreciate space.

There never seemed to be a big demand, or wait for showers.

Cecelia, Sofi and everyone else at the front desk were very helpful.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms are airier. Room 4 downstairs does have windows, but it's also next to one of the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank evening
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I only stayed here for one night and left early in the morning so I didn't end up using any of the common areas or getting breakfast.

The rooms and bathrooms were really clean, but I ended up going to Casa Shalom next door because here I was in a 6 bedroom dorm where people wanted to turn off the lights at 10pm, while next door I was in a 3 bedroom dorm by myself for half the price. There were also only two power outlets in the 6 bed dorm which was a bit of a pain to work around. Internet seemed to drop out constantly as well and I ended up using wifi from another hostel across the road. The tour agency was quite good and the prices were reasonable, as were the prices of the beer they were selling.

Overall a good place to stay, though I probably didn't stay long enough to get a good feel of the place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at Yellow House for 3 nights a few weeks ago. The staff there is wonderful- everyone is very friendly and took time to make sure we were taken care of. Rooms and bathrooms are very clean, and as mentioned before, they have an amazing breakfast included in the cost of your room. Our internet didn't work in the room, but it worked great in the common area. We used their travel operator to book everything while in Antigua. I believe we paid 160/170Q for a double room, shared bath.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends