“Wonderful Service, Elite Rooms, and Spellbounding Views”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Meson de Maria
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Antigua
Texas Baby
“Wonderful Service, Elite Rooms, and Spellbounding Views”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

If William Shakespeare would have been able to see some of the views from this hotel's roof top terrace, or the beautiful fountain in the back lounge area, or even the breakfast garden, he definitely would have more to say than me.

Sitting on the roof top terrace is the same feeling you might get if Cameron Diaz decided to give you a full body massage,... in her birthday suit. A feeling of ecstasy overwhelms your senses when looking around at the 360 degree view of Volcanoes. Every direction you look seems perfect in every way. Com'on Billy, help me out here. Like a dream in the midst of.... naaa. Anyway, The chairs are comfortable, the sounds are fantastic, and the way the whole terrace is set up is really inviting to say the least. I definitely spent most of my stay up there.

The location is literally amazing of this hotel. I really enjoyed waking up to great coffee, and walking 3 blocks to the central park to meet my work buddies. Another 3 blocks in the other direction and you get Antigua's famous market. 3 blocks north, and you hit the famous La Merced Church. I don't know how to explain the location any better than... '3 blocks from everything'. When a city is as small as Antigua, a safe location is very important, and although we seemed to be 3 blocks from everything, including the hippie part of town, we never noticed. Perfectly placed, and perfectly close to everything. There is also one of Antigua's oldest running restaurants right across the street from the hotel. Amazing food! The only place in Antigua where you can find upscale Authentic Guatemalan Cuisine.

Back to the sonnets with Billy... The rooms flourish my soul like a light breeze tickles the leaves on a pear tree. .... Anyway, the rooms are always very very clean. The service is hiding until the second you need them, then they are all over you like ants on a knocked over anthill, making sure you are totally comfortable. I had a pair of pants I was planning on wearing to a business meeting one evening. I noticed their wasn't an iron in the room so I called down to the front. "Just one second Mr. Manson." After a swift swig of water from the provided bottles in the room, there was a knock at my door. Within 1 hour, my pants were not only professionally pressed, but they had managed to get a stubborn avocado stain out. They told me they had all the necessary equipment on-site. "Excellent! Great Service", I murmured in my head.

I feel like I am giving away all of Antigua's secrets. Like peeking into your sisters diary when you were young and finding out her friend has a crush on you. But honestly, I feel like I have gotten to know Antigua with my time there. I have been visiting since 2000, and have stayed in many many hotels. I must say, choosing a favorite is like choosing a favorite child. You have to love them all and they each have their own charm that brings you in. I will say though, I will only stay in the Meson de Maria from now on. I really had such a perfect time, and if the owners are reading this, "Thank you so very much!".

Room Tip: Ask to see the suite in the back! Honeymoon!!?
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Bike_Guatemala

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed 9 June 2011

This hotel had comfortable rooms, friendly staff, tasty breakfast, and lots of inviting outdoor seating areas for reading and relaxing. It is two blocks from the main square and within two blocks of several restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the street.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Bikers_Mom
LaSalle, Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Large rooms, friendly and helpful staff, beautiful rooftop terrace and I think the best showers in Guatemala. Breakfast was good and the location puts it almost in city center.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank narimasu70
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed 19 November 2010

The location of this hotel and the graciousness of the staff make this a very special hotel. Family owned and operated, you truly get the Antigua experience staying here. It is located in the center of all activity...shops and restaurants. The Meson de Maria is just a block from the central plaza. In this area you will find people out late in the evening walking from restaurants and small clubs and enjoying strolling the cobblestone streets. Thirty years ago we lived in Antigua for two years...we cannot return often enough...and, when we do...it is to the Meson de Maria that we find that special ambiance that is Antigua. Everyone should experience Antigua...it is a bucket list must!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. The location cannot be beat (1 1/2 blocks from the Central Plaza. The staff is wonderful and friendly. Got a deluxe queen room upstairs for a discounted price. Small room but quiet, comfortable and great water pressure. Had all the typical amenities, safe, free water, flat screen tv, nice comfortable bed. No hairdryers in the room so ask and they will bring it. The breakfast was good and the courtyard is beautiful and relaxing (so is the roof). Would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to anyone who wants to be in a great location in Antigua. For the price I paid, I was very happy with the hotel. I do agree that Antigua is overpriced in general.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frances L
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Many times I have traveled to Central America, I always get tired of the hotels being to Marriott type. I knew hotels in Antigua were different and were going to offer me a little more comfort for my stay. But I never expected the amazing service, quality and staff service ever. I felt pampered since the day I wrote my email request, to the day I got on my shuttle to return home. I was delighted to stay in Mesón de María, and I am happy to make a review for such a charming hotel. I recommend the deluxe suites if you visit. I see that people complain about the price, but come on, it´s Antigua Guatemala!! This hotel is not only close to everything, but also quiet and relaxing. The terrace was my everyday morning ritual. The view from the hotel is a spectacular site to see and visit. Two thumbs up for this hotel. Loved it and I am definitely coming back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank JanetManson
Seattle
Reviewed 17 January 2009

Good location in Antigua with nice courtyard and rooftop and a good breakfast.

We had a slightly odd experience in check-in - they didn't have our key and other guests had stuff in the safe. But I think that was pretty random, and not typical of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank linc0635