“Great location, very friendly staff”

Posada Don Valentino
Ranked #65 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Posada Don Valentino is a great place to stay in Antigua. It is within a short waling distance to Parque Central and has a very friendly, well-spoken (English and Spanish) and helpful staff. I'd put their hospitality at the top of any hotel/accommodation that I've been to. The staff answered many questions that I had and if they didn't know the answer, they looked it up online or made a phone call - very smart indeed! Most places anywhere won't go through that much trouble. Casi and the rest of the staff have a great command of English and again, were very helpful.

There's a nice kitchen to cook or store food and a nice garden area to eat. I was fortunate to have enough time to relax on their beautiful couch in the lounge to read.

The outside courtyard looked nice. I did not have a chance to use it.

The only slight downfall are the following. The place could use some updating. My room #107 was a bit small, but comfortable. You could hear any loud talking down the hall in the lobby and/or media room, but it was done by 9am in the morning and 9pm in the evening. The rest of the time was very quiet. I was told by others that the upstairs bedrooms were a bit larger and quieter.

I felt very safe here. You can even exchange your money at the front desk. You won't get a great rate (as per any hotel), but the convenience for me one time was well worth it.

Overall this is a great place. You won't go wrong staying here. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms may be larger and quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Posada Don Valentino

Reviewed 17 January 2014

The hotel is super clean and everyone is so friendly. In love with this amazing city ' Antigua' can't wait to go back next year. My God the antique houses, Historic Arquitect, simply delighful! When with my church for a mission trip, called from houses to home. My son came with us, but would love for my husband to come with us next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank gata123
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We (couple, 40 & 50 years old) stayed at Posada Don Valentino for one night in November 2013 and paid about $40 a night. Our room was small but clean. The bathroom was also small but clean; the water was hot. There was a room safe and cable television. The hotel is quiet and has a kitchen and salon. It is about four blocks from Parque Central and one block from the market. We stayed in four Antigua hotels over five nights and this was the best one for the price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AnothersEyes
Reviewed 26 December 2013

First time we stayed here. Rooms were comfortable and quiet. A little noise on the first floor from hallway but nothing to keep me awake. Lounge area and second floor deck were very tranquil for studying and relaxing. Very convenient and close to central park and McDonald's.
Friendly and courteous staff. Used their laundry service and they did an excellent job for a reasonable fee.
We normally stay at one of their other properties Hotel Casa Antigua that I also highly recommend. It has a beautiful garden and more rustic old world feel, which we love.

Room Tip: Second floor accommodations are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This place is run-down, dirty in places, and it's apparent that the ownership lacks the incentive to invest in new things to update an old property. In our first room, both the TV and shower were broken. They brought in old sets until one barely worked.

The worst part is that we requested the wake-up call for a morning shuttle to the airport 3 times, because they seemed arrogant and confused. They didn't wake-us up! This is the first time this has ever happened to me. When I told the front office person, she told me to write complaint forms and it wasn't her fault because it was in a book that she showed me. She did seem upset, but this is a process that should work within any hotel.

On a minor note, the rooms are over-priced for what you get by Antigua standards. The policy is to serve coffee to guests only on Friday to Sunday. Please consider spending the few extra Quetzals for coffee and maybe also train the workers and get the rooms up to decent standards. Finally, the blanket looked and felt like they were last washed prior to the dinosaur extinction.

On another note, when we ordered the van to the airport, the coupon for the driver stated that there were "no exchanges or refunds for any reason". This appeared to be overall attitude of this establishment.

Room Tip: This hostel is attached to a busy supermarket that opens early. On weekends, Guatemalans choose thi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JQUEST2014
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I was in Guatemala for a mission trip building a house with From Houses to Homes. Our group stayed at the Posada Don Valentino. The trip was one of the best experiences of my life visiting Antigua. I highly recommend staying at this location really clean rooms and friendly staff. The beds were conformable, shower presser was adequate for a hotel. The staff suggestions for places to eat and tourist spots were dead on. The only thing that would have made this stay even better was if the hotel had WIFI. Looking forward to my next years stay here. Please take my suggestion and stay at this hotel when visiting Antigua.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Chris K
Reviewed 9 August 2013

After a few nights' stay at El Hostal earlier in our trip, we were really happy we decided to try Posada Don Valentino for our 2nd stage in Antigua. There's a lot more happening at this end of town, more places to eat, it's close to the parque central (central park). Plus the posada is very quiet, offering an excellent night's stay. The staff were very friendly and polite.

The only two minor issues were with the water (somewhat difficult to regulate the shower temperature, although we had the same issue at most of the places we stayed, but for this slightly pricier place, we expected a bit better) and the two rooms we got were rather dark (however, this seems to be typical in Antigua and indeed throughout Guatemala).

Note that a pool is advertised but it's in another property several blocks away. That said, it is lovely and walking anywhere around Antigua is pleasant.

Also, if you're booking shuttles to anywhere, or tours, check around at other travel agencies (there's one about a block from central park on the same street), as we found the prices for booking tours at the hotel to be more expensive (by quite a bit, actually).

If you're catching an early morning tour (e.g., a 7 a.m. bus to the Chichicastenango market), get to the lobby early as it can take a few minutes for the staff member to come to the front and unlock the door for you (note that this is a good thing as it means the hotel is very secure)

Room Tip: We stayed a total of 4 nights. The first two nights we got a tiny room with little light coming in a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family