“Very Convenient and Great Value”

and 1 more site!
Odessa Executive Suites
Ranked #108 of 275 Speciality Lodging in Odessa
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I recently stayed in the Odessa Executive Suites on a flying visit to Odessa. The apartments are very conveniently located just off the main pedestrianised strip of Deribasovskaya St, which contains many shops, restaurants and bars. The rooms are located around a courtyard and are spread over 4 floors (note there is no elevator) and were remarkably quiet given the location. Reception staff spoke great English and happily arranged a taxi for my early morning airport transfer. Rooms are functional and include a kitchen area, ironing board, TV, together with clothes washing machine (typically in the bathroom). There was free wifi throughout the hotel.

I'd certainly have no hesitation in staying at these suites again - great value and location.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank iancoles

Reviewed 12 October 2011

If you want to stay somewhere in Odessa with a great value for what you pay this is the place. It is not perfect, but it is clean and comfortable. The staff is wonderful! Irina and Julia are the most helpful and pleasant managers to deal with. Both of them speak excellent English. The perks are nice with free airport shuttle during daylight hours, a decent breakfast in the morning, reasonable mini bar prices, and a resturant that will cater to your private or public parties.

Room Tip: Check the web site for choices. The descriptions are good.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank batmanrr
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Location is unbeatable and the price is competitive. Nevertheless the rooms are below expectation. The walls are full of stains, the bed sheets are worn out with faded colors and strange smell in the bathroom. The breakfast was poor.The staff was so-so.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BC_BXL
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I stayed at the OES in the beginning of August 2011 with my boyfriend and we enjoyed its absolutely perfect location in the city centre. The room was spacious and clean, no frills, however, the bed was not very comfortable and I did miss a bed lamp and a small table by the bed. The free internet connection (cable) was a big plus.

The staff was in general welcoming and helpful. We used the hotel’s offer regarding free airport pick-up which worked fine. When we had to go back to the airport again the hotel called a cab for us, which cost 40 ukrainian hryvnia. In general one should not pay more than 70 Ukrainian hryvnia for driving anywhere in Odessa the guide working at the hotel, Julia, kindly informed us, which was good to know since none of the taxis use meter and one therefore has to negotiate the price before the trip. The breakfast was very simple and not very delicious. As we stayed in an apartment we opted to make breakfast in the room instead, even though breakfast was included in the price. There are two supermarkets very close by the OES (in basements of shopping malls).

The guide at the hotel, Julia, was very helpful and we booked a trip with her to the catacombs, which was excellent (600 Ukrainian hryvnia for two persons, private tour). Also, she helped arrange a yacht trip on the black sea, however, it was not what we had in mind as it turned out to be a tour for children with a pirate theme, not a yacht trip up the coast to along the beaches and port as we thought.

Even though the OES certainly have room for improvement I will recommend it primarily due to its unbeatable location and also considering that accommodation in Odessa is quite expensive. With this in mind the OES seems like a reasonable deal.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Annarejser
Reviewed 4 August 2011

When visiting Odessa you should keep in mind that this is not Vienna or Zurich where you can expect proper service for reasonable money. You should be prepared to ridiculous prices for shabby holes.
I have stayed at different places in Odessa and am in position to compare. I guess you can refer to QES as rather fair value/quality ration.
I have seen rooms 18, 20 and 33.
I booked a one-bedroom room with the windows facing the courtyard. When I arrived at OES I got an apartment #20 with the windows facing the street. This apartment is in the older part of the complex and the stairs look rather shabby (however this is no surprise for Odessa).
Since I arrived pretty late I did not really care about whether the widows are facing the street or the courtyard, although I should have. The room was ok. However it had two serious problems: noise from the street was just awful. I could not sleep during the night with my windows open. If you prefer to sleep with your windows closed and the air-conditioning on, then you should have no problem with this room.
The second problem was in the bathroom. FYI, most houses in Odessa don’t have central hot water supply. The apartments have gas water heater. Well… something was probably off either with the heater or with the shower cabin. The water was either steaming hot or cold. So taking shower was a challenge.
Two other minor flaws I have noticed were:
1. a hair drier that was not drying (sort of a “hello from captain obvious”). It blows but it does not dry. So make sure to bring your own hair dryer if you plan to stay at room 20.
2. the toilet was set on some pedestal which made it rather high and uncomfortable to use (sorry, if this is too much info).
Towels were indeed old and somewhat “stiff”. However I did not care. At least I was sure that they were properly washed. Apart from that, no complains. Room was clean.
Since I had a rather uncomfortable first night I complained to the manager in the morning and asked for another room. The manager was extremely nice and cooperative and immediately gave me a two bedroom apartment (33). It was much better and quieter. It seemed to have fresher refurbishment and it was facing the yard. The view from the windows was bad though because it facing the unreconstructed part of the building and was generally depressing. However I did not care as I did not come to Odessa to sit by the window. The hydro-insulation the bathroom was a bit old. But bathroom was clean.
I did not sense any sewage smell in either of the apartments (although I sensed it Londonskaya hotel which I described in my other report).
The apartment 18 was also good. It was a 2 level studio with double bed on the second tier and a sofa (non-foldable) on the first tier. Bathroom was also clean there.
The apartments I booked provided breakfast for 2 persons consisting of: 2 eggs (cooked in the form preferred by you) with 2small slices of bacon, cheese and bread, cereal bowl, a yoghurt and coffee/tee. It was all well prepared and was more than enough for me.
So I guess it is a fairly good value for the money. You can get a better price for any apartment in Odessa, but it will have no security, no internet, no free breakfast no airport pickup. And all this for $100 for an apartment that can fit three people.
I guess next time will go to this place again, but will be more precise with booking my room.
Location: it was really good! Very central! It is right next to Kompot (good value for the money) and Steakhouse (if you prefer expensive and good food) and Mcdonalds (if you prefer junk food).

Compliments go to Irina, manager of the hotel. Her client attitude is flexible and cooperative!]

Imho, any experienced traveller should be persistent and be prepared to claim what is due to him/her. Therefore if you are unhappy with the service or quality just be open about it with the hotel management, it will you good to everyone (including the hotel and future guests).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SNGV
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I had read good reviews on this place and wondered while staying here were these people nuts ofr did they just have very low criteria. This place was just awful. Arriving in the evening there was no one to assist us who spoke English (we had been told there would be) He held out his hand and said "Pay" insisted on cash. He took us into a room, up some filty broken granite stairs to a large suite. The tiles on the floor were broken under our feet. The kitchen was a nest of wires running over the stove through the passthrough to the living room. The internet never worked. There were two of us and we rented a 2 bedroom unit. (Cost 89 Euros, grossly overpriced) My bed had no sheets or pillowcases on it and there was no one to call to get any. He told us to leave the light on in the lower bathroom because once the light was on and he couldn't get the switch to work. This place was a night mare, we hated it and couldn't get out fast enough the next morning. Don't stay here. It seems though there are several sections to this place and you don't know where you will be. We talked with others at breakfast who had found themselves in the ugly section and had asked to be moved to the newer section. They said it was "OK"

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jillynilly
travelerguy44, General Manager at Odessa Executive Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

We appreciate feedback from our guests and clients. Would be curious to know which apartment this guest refers to. OES does have a very small section that is older than the rest of the hotel. However, the apartments in this section were renovated two years ago. There are no loose tiles or wires strewn about. We will post photos to indicate the condition of this apartment, and let readers on this forum judge for themselves.

Regarding evening reception and payment, our website clearly states that payment is required upon arrival. As for the linens missing from apartment, it is highly improbable as we inspect each apartment before customer arrival. If indeed, this was the case, our concierge-whom is available 24/7-has ample supply of extra linens and towels for our guests. We also try to accommodate all of our guests-space permitting-to change apartments if they are not satisfied.

We are sorry that this client did not have a satisfactory experience. Most of our clients do, and we receive substantial repeat business year after year. Often events can conspire to make otherwise minor things, worse. As any visitor to Odessa can attest, utilities such as electricity and internet are not reliable and are often switched off by local authorities for short periods. This is probably the biggest complaint of BOTH visitors and ex-pats, though it affects all hotels and apartments, from the three star properties like OES, to five star properties throughout the city.

Reviewed 13 July 2011

I just departed an extended visit at the Odessa Executive Suites. If I'm on this side of the world again, I hope to return and stay at OES. After reading the past reviews, I feel the negative ones have offered very slanted and unfair opinions. I was a guest at the hotel for about seven weeks and was overall, very happy with my stay. The owner and staff worked with me to accomodate all my needs. I found the staff very friendly, and if I experienced a problem, I only needed to speak with them and the problem was addressed.

The hotel itself is, in my opinion, a wonderful taste of Odessa. There are people from all over the world that pass through, several who I befriended. It sits right in "the center" of town, which is fixed up nicely for tourists. The opera house is down the road along with the famous stairs that go to the sea port. The hotel has very easy access to a grocery market, a McDonald's, several wonderful restaurants, entertainment for children, and beautiful gardens. Buses are within close walking distance and the hotel is right in the center of the tourist area. During the summer season, the hotel has a tour guide who is also an English translator She is very friendly and helped me out on many occasions.

The hotel also has a cafe with an outdoor courtyard. It offers a wide and very tasty selection of Ukranian food. Maybe some Italian dishes as well. The court yard sits under a magnificent walnut tree and is a very pleasant place to just sit and visit. This is also a great place to meet world travelors.

If you are looking for a five-start hotel, I understand the owner of the OES has one down the road. OES rooms are older and experience some electrical problems, but that goes with the territory here. This is not for the perfection minded. This is for pleasure seekers who are looking to enjoy the people and ambiance of Odessa.

I will definitely recommend this hotel and hope to return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business