“Surprised it's #1”
Review of Frederic Koklen

Frederic Koklen
Ranked #3 of 88 Hotels in Odessa
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I chose this hotel because it was #1 but after 2 nights moved over to the Bristol. It should be #1! The hotel is just fine...it's small...but I found the lobby and staff a bit disappointing and would not recommend this hotel to a friend.

Room Tip: I paid for a superior room but from looking at the floor plan, don't think it really was any lar...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael G
FKoklen, Управляющий at Frederic Koklen, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Michael G,
Thank you for your review. We highly appreciate your comments and we regret that we could not meet your expectations about our hotel.
Please, accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience. Your comfort and relaxation are the most important things for each of us, and particularly for me.
No doubt that we should have been more attentive to make your stay more enjoyable.
We regularly have staff trainings and we have already discussed this situation to avoid any repetitions in future.
We hope you will give us another chance next time and you will be able to evaluate our changes.
Best regards,
Tatiana Zagnitnaya,
General Manager.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed at the Frederic Koklen this weekend 28-31 March 2014. I booked my stay based on the other traveller reviews, not having been before. My experience was that as soon as I set foot out of the taxi, (not the place to review airport taxi's but let's summise that by saying, 'it's a big NO! from me') (Phone ahead and get hotel to arrange, cost me less than a third of getting back to airport as it did to the hotel and don't be charmed at the airport by Sergey Petrov and the groove in the floor he has worn that he pushes you along that starts one millimetre the other side of the Arrivals door and stops at the nearest cashpoint machine - probably only as far as his umbilical cord will stretch ). But anyway, back to the story... As soon as I set foot out of the taxi in front of the hotel the doorman sprang forward out of nowhere, grabbed my hand luggage and ushered me warmly through the front door. He then retreated in just as quick a manner and I found myself in front of the hotel reception where I was greeted with a warm smile from the hotel receptionist. First impressions do count. And that was how it was throughout my short stay. I wrote to the hotel today to thank them in person, something I have never felt I wanted to do before. But this was also because I felt that the manner in which the hotel staff behaved towards me was in fact the most positive thing I took away with me from my short stay in Odessa. I felt there was a genuine kindness there. I was a long way from home being there, but those few people I met there made me feel that I wasn't so far away. Elizabeth on the front desk even had the patience to try to teach me to count one to five in Russian and made me some herbal tea....hmmmn, maybe I missed something ;-) ! If I go to Odessa again, that will be my choice of a place to stay.

Room Tip: I was just glad to go there every night, any room!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Carl B
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Absolutely the cleanest hotel ever. Very friendly staff, everyone spoke English and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. If there is only one choice in Odessa then this is the hotel for you. I stayed in a double room which was located in the rear and it was very quiet. Centrally located and perfect for walking around the city. Parking was right in front of the hotel and I did not need my vehicle the entire trip.

Food in the restaurant was prepared extremely well and clearly they have professional chefs servicing the restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are away from the street and very, very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I was just passing through Odessa for one night. I read the other reviews and decided to give it a try. I would definitely stay here again if I am ever in Odessa again. The staff treats you like you are at the four Seasons. Not the ones in the US, which are still great, but international ones, where you almost feel awkward because they are so kind. Really impeccable service. The service in the hotel restaurant (Sophia I think) was equally amazing. I think the waiter was trained at least for some time as a sommelier. The wine he recommended was perfect.

I stayed in a French style room and the bed, sheets, and room Overall was on par with the most comfortable rooms I've stayed in anywhere. Nothing was tired or used. It almost felt like the linens were once washed and never used before placed in my room. The bathroom was fairly large and we'll designed. I can't tell you how happy I was about the shower after spending a few nights in a smaller town. Great water pressure on a spa style shower head.

The price is the amazing thing. I think I paid somewhere in the range of $100 for a night. It was definitely low season, so I don't know if that's the normal rate. I booked directly from the hotel website, and that was the best rate I found from any site for this booking. The restaurant prices were very reasonable for the food and service. It's a fancier restaurant, so don't expect a 10 dollar Steak. But expect to thoroughly enjoy your meal. I wish I wasn't traveling solo, because this would have been a nice place to enjoy with friends and family.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Bond226-us
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

You will not enjoy a better stay in Odessa than in the Boutique Hotel Koklen. From the attentive welcome and check-in service by the door staff and concierge, to the beautifully-appointed and comfortable rooms, Koklen staff pay attention to every detail of service.

I also recommend dinner in the hotel's restaurant, Sophie Cafe. The food is the best I've had in Odessa.

I will unquestionably return to the Koklen hotel the next time I visit Odessa.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My stay at your hotel in Odessa was one of my best experiences ever.
I often travel all over the world but the Frederic Koklen is one of the best I ever visited!
From my driver, Vadim that picked me up at the airport, the front office personnel, housekeeping staff as well the excellent Sofia restaurant! Food was excellent!
My suite was of the highest class I ever stayed in!
Personal were all English speaking and very very helpful.
This was almost a home away from home!
When I visit your fine city again I know exactly where I will stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DrCharles99
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed in Odessa many times, but it was the first time in this hotel. I was impressed by well trained staff. Everybody was smiling and very polite. Very good location, big parking place, very clean and comfortable. Really good design and modern bath equipments. Very comfortable bed and nice caffe on the ground flour. I did not expect to find a such good place in Odessa.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business