“Disappointing”

Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Odessa
Desborough, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This hotel claims to be four star. If that is the case, then it is very poor. The room was OK but beds were not made. Mold in the shower. Reception staff were rude. I appreciate that English is not their first language but they should know 'please' and 'thank you'. Got stuck in the lift!! Convenient for Railway Station.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DesboradoTim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This isn't a luxury accommodation. The beds could be better, the room is tight, but overall it does the trick for those budget-minded travellers who need a good location with the basic amenities. This hotel has a large foyer for groups to gather. It is at a busy interesection making it accessible to taxis and is a five blocks (European) walk to the Opera and city restaurants. Overall is is a good location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cynthia F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

An ugly tower block, a 20-25min walk from the Opera House. My room was small, the aircon was noisy, the taps wrongly labelled, I had to wrestle with the shower curtain and dry myself on rough towels, the room furniture was cheap, drab formica. A good breakfast buffet.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LDB65
Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I don't expect the same standards when I travel abroad, so I was not disappointed. I shared a room with my cousin, so we were cramped with two beds in an L against the wall. We had carry-on suitcases and really had place for only one. The shower is a tiny plastic box you step up on and wrap the plastic shower curtain around. It was clean. The water worked.
The beds had 2 sheets; one is folded up under the pillow and the bed cover is a blanket. I guess we are supposed to unfold the sheet to cover ourselves and place the bed cover on top if we want to be warmer. The air conditioner worked perfectly though the weather was great - nice sea breeze on the top (11th) floor.
The beds were made every day, but new glasses never replaced the used ones from the previous day. We asked for a roll of toilet paper one night because the one roll in the room had run out. Someone brought us a pack of something that looked like table napkins. The next day we did get a new roll.
What I did like is there is a great indoor pool and exercise facilities. I got a great massage for a fraction of the cost of what a massage costs in USA.
Hotel is on a noisy street, so if you are a light sleeper, you might want to choose some place else.
The first night I paid extra for a buffet breakfast. It was decent, but you can eat much cheaper at one of the many cafes all around.
The hotel was full of Russian speakers, so for the locals this hotel is fine. Americans might be disappointed, but since I am a flexible "go-with-the-flow" kind of traveler, it was good enough for sleeping, showering and working on my computer which I am doing as I sit in their lobby. Free, fast wifi too.

Room Tip: Top floor has a nice view and breeze.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LAmaestra
Odessa
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Fonctional , clean , air conditionner , no particular problems , just preview some Quies Balls because it's noisy !!! In corner of two big frequented streets !!! And a mask because the curtains are too short to cover all big window ... A nice restaurant on first floor and a japanese one in same area , good but a little expensive...Good situation in town ... About 10 minutes to port or beaches by car ...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Vienna
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This centrally located high-rise offers a soviet flair, with antique, kitschy furnishing emitting a smell of melting glue that fills your hotel room until your nose adjusts to it. Nevertheless, sleep quality was OK and everything functional enough, including large indoor swimming pool and professional gym. The reception and other staff was surprisingly friendly, so three stars. Would come again, but not for a splurge.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Eugene Oregon
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Odessa is a city in transition with many new buildings and deciding if it wants to put more resources into the beaches at Arkady. The Chernoye More Hotel was a pleasant, centrally located place near the very large open public market that has many many booths and vendors...

It is soviet style hotel in some ways, though is a little nicer, and eventually should remodel. The cost was very reasonable at the time, less than 59 dollars at peak season.

The Hotel was still a little askance that I was an American traveling alone, with few language skills in Russian, and they did their best to understand me. Amazing what a smile and trust will do in this regard.

The desk people in the evening were very helpful, though the security people seemed disconcerted when I found my own cab to the airport. I am sure this aspect has relaxed since I was there, though it was a problem to explain that I had arranged a cab before hand... they thought the cab driver had "invaded" their lobby. ))) There were good restaurants nearby, lots of places to sit and drink, and internet access - and the Odessa city bus system is actually pretty easy to navigate. I was even able to buy some medicine for a friend in Krim and send it DHL and used a translator name Vasyl Kuzik (who is very friendly and speaks very good english - and can deal with many situations) over the telephone to give directions to the cab and the pharmacist.

I like this place, I hope that it opens up even more! Needs more nice americans to leave people with a positive impression.

Room Tip: I had a view from my tenth floor room, and due to the city's height, I think that views are avai...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo