“Great club but the restaurant can be improved”
Review of Jazzster

Jazzster
Ranked #442 of 1,399 Restaurants in Kharkiv
Cuisines: International
Kyiv
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,038 helpful votes
“Great club but the restaurant can be improved”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Jazzster has always been among my favourite places in Kharkiv. This club is friendly, non-pretentious and is the best place to listen to the quality local music that Kharkiv is famous for. It is also very reasonably priced.

This time we had a special occasion and decided to arrive before the jazz night started, to have a dinner at their restaurant.

Jazzster is not too large, divided into two zones - the club by the bar, with the scene and small tables around the dancing space, and the restaurant with a very pleasant interior in light colours.

The portions are rather small, so we tried everything, from the starters to the desserts. I appreciated the efforts made for a presentation of every dish; they looked nice.

We started with Pink Tuna carpaccio [USD 7.25] and pancakes with salmon and cucumber, served a la Japanese rolls [USD 3.5]. Proceeded with two creme-soups [USD 4.75 each]: with champignons and with salmon and cauliflower. So far so good. For the main course, chose salmon steak with asparagus bean in the white sauce [USD 11] and roasted lamb with herbs [USD 8.1]. Salmon was a bit dry, but the lamb was tasty.

Although there was a variety of hot chocolates on a special offer, most of those I’d love to try were missing. So we had to go for a Banana pie [USD 3.4] (pretty average) and a baked apple [USD 4.75] (excellent) for the dessert.

The wine list is not too extensive here (nothing compares to Pushka; see separate review). Say, my favourite local Brut Zero sparkling wine was missing, so we ordered regular Brut. But it’s worth mentioning that espresso here is delicious (I suffered from the absence of decent coffee in Kharkiv restaurants).

The bill came at USD 35 per person, including the bottle of champagne and other drinks, but without service.

Service was the only disappointing part. It was annoying that we had to specifically ask for everything - champagne bucket, basic condiments etc.

Anyway, you don’t normally come to Jazzster for the food and service. Its best part and the main reason to come is terrific live music. Make sure you don’t miss it.

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank Cora_v

warszawa
“Super music!”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Jazzter is one of the best clubs in Kharkiv. There is a good stage for musicians, a space for dance before it, a gallery with tables and the bar around the dance space and another hall with tables in it. The menu is standard. But the main plus of Jazzter is music. Very good jazz! But not only jazz. I liked the concert of two Kharkiv bands who play folk music and some kind of rock. And they played classical symphony together with classical musicians. It was great!
The club is situated near one of the main streets - Pushkin street, it's centre of the city.
I strongly recommend this club to those who want to get acquaintance with perfect Ukrainian music.

• Visited September 2011
San Francisco, California
“A great find for anyone that loves music and finds themselves in Kharkov”
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I cannot remember how I found this treasure, but it has been around for years and has remained one of the best kept secrets of the local music scene. The food is pretty good too. A 5 for entertainment in Kharkov, but a 4 for food.

If you find yourself in town over a weekend and want to check out music in a relatively upscale location, you have to check out Jazzter (note: no "s" it appears).

Their website shows who is playing and keep in mind that it is not always jazz, so check (or call) to see what's on, before heading over...or just go for a surprise. Sometimes, it is not jazz: the last time I went, i saw an Ukrainian-Irish band playing Led Zeppelin covers, so who knows!

1 Thank gsbdiver
Shelby Township, Michigan
“Charlie Parker lives!!”
Reviewed 17 August 2010

In July of 2009 I viited Kharkiv, a beautiful city, and visited the Jazzster!! The food was good but the music was simply fantastic. I was so impressed that when the grup was finished I shook their hands.
It was a sextet and horn and sax were the very best.
My advice to you is "GO and hve some fun!!
Should I return to Kharkiv I will make this club my return every other night. The Ukrainians know and play jazz so well.

1 Thank MichiganRick