“Stop wasting time on confusing options around Kharkov and just book this place already”
Review of Aurora Hotel

Aurora Hotel
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Kharkiv
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Whether you are on your first trip to Kharkov or if you have been to the city many time, you may find yourself confused by the number of hotels and the information about them. Just stop messing around and stay here. It's the best hotel in Kharkov and pretty much has anything you need.

It's not perfect, but there are no 5-star Trip Advisor hotels in Kharkov. This is the best and it's very good.

Here's some more details. The rooms are fine. They are not up to the comfort standards of Western European or US boutique hotels, but they are perfectly fine and it's wont get better anywhere else.

The hotel's bar is open 24/7, which is great if you have jet-lag and you need a snack at 3AM. It's good too. Great selection and high quality fare.

The hotel has a gym. I was half expecting a couple of barbells and nothing more as the "gym", which is the case at many a hotel in Eastern Europe. Nope. It's pretty darn nice. There is a bike, treadmill, stair climber and even a TV to watch while you work out. There's also weights, water and towels. And I like to use a heart rate monitor. Their equipment is high-end and will work with your Polar chest-strap. Awesome.

The WiFi is better than anything else at any other hotel at which I have stayed. Other hotels may talk about Internet, but it's only in the lobby and you have to pay per kilobyte. Annoying and inconvenient. This hotel has WiFi dialed and it's excellent. It's high-speed, it's included in the room rate and they have a separate router on each floor, so you always have a good signal.

There are several computers available in the business center, but avoid those unless you have no choice. They are loaded with viruses. There is a printer and scanner that the staff will help you use.

The staff speak English and have a can-do attitude that was exceptionally helpful.

The breakfast was a huge buffet including eggs/omelets as you want them. Plentiful, excellent quality. Good espresso drinks.

The location is pretty good. In theory it could be more central, so you might be thinking "gee it looks like there are hotels closer to the action". That's a little true, but don't worry. It's really a close walk to the main square, restaurants and shops, as well as some music venues (Jazzter is excellent. Or see my other reviews for other places). I'm talking like 5-8 blocks. If you trade off for a closer hotel, you will suffer in every other respect, so just don't do it.

I've been to Kharkov perhaps 20-25 times. My last trip was the first time that I stayed here. I sincerely wish that I had discovered the hotel Aurora long ago, so stop messing around trying and book the place.

(Also they are part of a group of hotels called "Premier". I've stayed at a couple of the other ones, too, and they are also very good.)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank gsbdiver

Reviewed 11 September 2010

I've been there for two nights

It was a sound like near the disco bar when I came out of elevator on my floor (room 402),
when I entered the room I understood what deep sound comes from my neigbours. The wall did vibration when you touch it. Receptionist promised to send security to fix this problem and it took them not less than 10 minutes to get there. Guests from that number maid sound lower but 10 minutes later it was still possible to hear their music in my room.
The wall sound protection is out of standards. TV volume is not limited anyhow - I could make nice discoteque as well.
Another funny problem was in the bathroom. Having quite a plenty of space there their architector decided to install closet in 20 cantemeters distance from basin (I will attach the photo)
Water temperature was unstable in the shower early in the morning, - I had to adjust the temperature continuously (looks like deffect of hot water pipe isolation).

WiFi was available but I could not connect my laptop in automatic mode, receptionist was not able to help as well, I decided not to escalate and use offline mode

Check out took 13 minutes when I was alone in reception area at 5 in the morning. Lucky we was not a group (could take more time :()

Although sleeping was very comfortable - nice airco and very good bed
Room is big and comfortable as well

In general hotel seems not bad but some problems described above does not advise me to stay there again

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Олег П
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I was really surprised to find such hotel in Ukraine. Nice design, quite new furniture, standard doubles are not so large but cozy - with nice bathroom (bath tube) and all facilities you need. You can use free wi-fi or wire internet - it's your choice. Breakfasts are served in a french-style restaurant and are quite good. Personnel speak English and are very friendly. The hotel is really worth its 4*.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I just returned from quick trip to Kharkiv and I stayed in this charming hotel. My husband travelled with me and I have to say both of us were delighted with this lovely hotel. We do not speak Ukranian or Russian so it was lovely to have staff to speak to. Hotel is very trendy and all public areas as well as rooms are spotless. Breakfast was included with room and is served in lovely restaurant on second floor. The waitstaff are very friendly and accommodating. Downstairs in the bar/brassiere we had lunch most afternoons and there was great choices in the menu from Salmon to steak to chicken to pasta. Also guests of hotel get nice discount for lunch hours and smaller discount in evening which is a nice touch. Hotel is 5 mins away from main streets of downtown Kharkiv and there are lovely parks and zoo within walking distance. All in all I must say hotel was very trendy, clean and convenient in its location - just perfect!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. From the second we walked in the door, we were treated wonderfully. The hotel is in a nice quiet area, yet only a couple of blocks from the city center. Our room was spacious and immaculate. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable.

One little quirk in the entire stay was the TV. Apparently when people in the next room turned the volume up or down, it changed our TV also, only the volume. Overall, not a big deal unless you were there to watch TV.

Our only regret here, was that we could only stay one evening. If we hadn't prepaid our hotel back in Kyiv, we would have defintiely stayed another night.

We were leaving early in the morning, before the included breakfast began, to catch our train. We had mentioned this in passing at check-in, and the staff told us they could put together a breakfast "box" together for us at no additional charge since we would miss breakfast. We were expecting a pastry and a piece of fruit. When we checked out, the young woman grabbed two giant shopping bags to our surprise. There was more than enough food in there to keep us going for the entire 6 hour train ride back to Kyiv, and everything was fresh and delicious.

I could go on and on about how great our experience was at this hotel, but I think the other reviews, along with my comments, covers it. I don't know if my travels will ever send me back to Kharkiv, but if they do, I know where I am staying.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SofaKingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I'll avoid repeating too much of what has been stated in other reviews, instead I'll add my 2 cents worth of opinion.

The location is excellent: right in the heart of this charming little city, but on a quiet street thus avoiding too much traffic noise.

The service is was largely efficient, polite, respectful and what one would expect from a well-managed hotel. The majority of staff speak excellent English. Small but adequate business centre, ATM, currency exchange... everything the traveller might need.

Accommodation was of a good size (I had a suite) and well maintained. The beds, however, are rock solid - I say this as someone whose own bed is on the hard side. Everything seemed newly painted and, other than lacking an ironing board, well equipped.

Negatives?

Restaurant service was slow with staff vanishing for extended periods of time. The food was adequate but, by Ukrainian standards, overpriced.

Wherever you go in Kharkov, you'll find yourself doing more passive smoking than you'd like. So, more of a gripe about a national characteristic than at the lack of no smoking spaces at the hotel itself.

The over-bath shower is at a truly weird angle and needs rethinking. Water was always nicely warm and plentiful.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank csmac
Reviewed 20 July 2009

A nice romantic getaway for a weekend. Special offers at the hotel are great. The rooms are extremely spacious and clean.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple