“Great staff but dark walk to apartment”

Silver Central Hostel
Silver Central Hostel
Ranked #174 of 441 Speciality Lodging in Split
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great staff but dark walk to apartment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Lovely friendly staff greeted me late at night at the hostel as I had flown in on a late flight. The male staff member showed me to the apartment around 5 minutes walk away. I am a single femal traveller and I was pleased he was walking with me, as the small streets we walked down seemed to get darker the further we walked. The apartment is a room in a building shared with other apartments. I struggled to sleep due to the loud talking and drinking from next door and in the streets. Also, there was no electric jug you had to boil water in a pot on the stove.I left for a tour the next day, having booked to stay at the apartment again a week later. However, I cancelled the booking and told the staff I just didnt feel safe walking to the apartment at night. The staff were very nice. I think the apartment would be fine for a couple.It was clean and tidy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

This hostel was in a good location, not far from the sea and right next to the old quarters. The rooms were basic but as good as any other hostel we stayed in. The bathrooms weren't very private however, the showers were just cubicles with a shower curtain in front so I felt a little exposed and it was difficult to get changed in privacy. Other than that it was a nice hostel with friendly staff so I wouldn't object to staying there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Atlanta GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed at this hostel for one night. It's a very small hostel. It only had ONE shower in the mens room. It was a little unorganized, but I felt bad for the woman working at the check in desk, she was trying to many things at once. All in all, It was an average hostel. My biggest complaints are the bathroom (one shower), no breakfast, and no working wifi. It was a good value though. I'd stay there again if I had to.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed in the private rooms of this hostel which was not where the actual hostel was. We arrived at the hostel (which is very easy to find, and a short walk from the ferry port) and the woman there was extremely helpful and friendly and showed us to our room which was a short walk from the hostel. We were just expecting a room and a bathroom but instead we had an apartment which had a kitchen, bathroom and large bedroom with a TV. It was much more than we expected, particularly since the price was so reasonable. It was such a nice apartment and a great location. Would definitely recommend it for couples and even friends as the apartment is quite big and so you could easily fit 3 or 4 people in it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Silver Central. The staff were extremely helpful, welcoming and friendly. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated, especially the spacious bathroom (although I only saw the ladies'!). A couple of negatives -
1) noise from the communal area carries into the dorms, so when people came back at 4am and sat in the common room chatting, everyone in my bedroom was woken up!
2) the kitchen is not very well equipped, it's not really practical to make food at all in the hostel, and you have to wash your dishes in the bathroom sink.
On the whole, though, as it was such good value and such an easy-to-find, central location, I would recommend Silver Central for travellers to Split.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Direction hostel give you are easy and spot on!

Friendly reception staff all more than willing to help.

Clean hostel, great beds. Excellent wifi

Highly recommend staying here over any other hostel.

Easy to walk to sort where all sail boats leave from

Close to a supermarket and fridge available at hostel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Astoria oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

After staying at two other depressing dreary ghetto places
I moved into Silver Central and I am thrilled. It is the best place in Split for value and a good nights rest. I highly recommend it here. Meets every criteria for a good hostel.

• Stayed May 2013