“Beautiful comfortable rooms, great historic location ( although a bit tricky to find)”

Palace Suites Heritage Hotel
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Split
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Split at night feels like Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. It's so perfectly Roman that it doesn't quite feel real. The Palace Suites have a great location on the outside walls of Diocletian's Palace. It's a bit tricky to find so get good directions before you drag your bags through the pedestrian-only area searching for it.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Palace Suites Heritage Hotel

Reviewed 25 July 2011

Palace Suites is more like an upmarket pension. The hotel facilities are limited due to its size, but the location and rooms more than make up for any shortcomings. The property manager is extremely helpful in making any site/restaurant recommendations and staff are very welcoming and friendly.

The rooms are stunning and work in wonderfully with the Old Town stone foundations. In my opinion, since I wasn't expecting 5* hotel type services and facilities - only a great room in the heart of the Old Town - I honestly can't fault Palace Suites.

Some reviewers have noted the intrusive noise from the wooden staircase (no lift in the building due to UNESCO regulations) but I didn't notice and we were on the first foor. If this is a concern, perhaps go for a higher floor.

The location is perfectly central, yet quiet (thanks to double window glazing) and the hotel is well fitted out. Would stay here over and over again!

N.B. We stayed in one of the "luxury suites"

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank go_yugo
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I found this hotel online. We loved it. The rooms are exactly as pictured, and the location is absolutely perfect for exploring Split. It is literally convenient to everything you will want to do. The staff was excellent, and the breakfast surpassed our expectations. I could understand why other reviewers commented on the noisy stairs (they are wood) but we did not have an issue. Stay here!

Room Tip: Stay on the third (fourth in Europe) floor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jpdtravels
Reviewed 2 June 2011

This place was a highlight of our trip in Croatia, it was warm and friendly! We booked to go on an island cruise and was allowed to leave our luggage here for the week! :) Centre of the square as well! Only downfall is there are no elevators!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maishirlz
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Booked Palace Suites for the last night of our holiday as we wanted to be located in the old town and my first choices had no availability. The location is great and we had requested a top floor room because of comments about noise on previous posts, which was honoured. I had tried to contact the suites directly by email twice prior to our stay, neither mail was ever replied to so in the end I booked via hotels.com as I was unable to book direct. The entrance to the suites is quite unassuming, throgh the door, past some dustbins and up a tatty stairwell. The 'reception' is on the first floor, ring the doorbell and you go into what appears to be somebody's slightly untidy front room to complete check in formalities. Then up another two flights of rickety wooden stairs to our room on the top floor. I can understand how these stairs might keep you awake if you were on a lower floor. I'm not sure if this was a communal staircase with another apartment (or apartments) on the 4th floor but it was shabby and looked in need of a clean or a lick of paint.
On the plus side:
The room itself (Junior Suite) was fine, looked just like the photos on the website, had a nice rain shower. It seemed reasonably clean, the bed and pillows were comfortable. We were just above a busy bar but the windows were well soundproofed so no issues there.
The girl that checked us in was very friendly indeed and keen to offer maps, advice on what to see and restaurant suggestions ( which we took up and were pleased we did).
On the down side:
The bathroom itself was tiny though, I had to turn sideways to squeeze through the gap between the shower and the sink unit to get into the bathroom itself - and I'm only a UK size 8.
The safe in the wardrobe was locked so we were unable to use it. I guess we could have asked but we didn't want to hang around waiting for this to be fixed so we just took all our stuff with us.
Lack of WiFi - at least in our room.
Breakfast - as a previous poster had indicated the earliest they will serve it is at 0800 which meant it was a bit of a rush for us as we had a flight to catch at 1020. Breakfast was delivered to the room but as there is no table we ate it standing up. It was so-so, orange juice, lukewarm coffee, fruit, yoghurt and a croissant each (we had to toss a coin to see who got the chocolate -filled one and who got the plain one).
The 'suite' was really an average sized double room with a 2 seated sofa at one end, a narrow but in the middle where the bathroom was, and a bed,TV, wardrobe at the other end of the room. With a complete lack of on site facilities I'm not sure how it can be considered as 4 star.
Not worth the money in my opinion and I would definitely look at alternatives within this price bracket before considering staying at the Suites again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adidasfish
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We stayed here for 1 night prior to heading to one of the islands, and then returned for another night.
Our first experience was fantastic. Whilst you do have to lug your bags up a few flights of stairs, its definilty worth it. The suites are beautifully decorated, very modern and stunning features. It was such a nice change from the big hotels we had previously been staying in. We were on the top floor (3rd), so had no noise whatsoever. The bathroom was very small, but had the best showerhead!
The second visit was not as enjoyable. We were this time on the 2nd floor, the first room at the top of the staircase. Again the room was lovely, however we got little sleep. We could not believe the noise we experienced, as people were trapsing up and down the stairs all night. The staircase is wooden so creates a lot of noise - even with earplugs I could not block out the noice of people coming and going. Also our bed was incredibly creaky, everyone time one of us even twitched, the bed would let out a big groan. Make sure you request the top floor!
The staff were very friendly, and could not help enough. They provided maps, and tips and recomendations, and took a genuine interest in us and our adventures. They even offered to keep some of our luggage for a couple days whilst we visited the islands - we really appreciated this! (lugging suitcases on and off ferries is difficult!)
The location is fantastic - right next to the Palace, and in the middle of all the action. Plenty of shops and restaurants everywhere. It did take us a little while to find the Suites, so print out yourself a map before you go.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gilly83Sydney
Reviewed 22 August 2010

My sister and I stayed here in July. I found this place through trip advisor & it looked pretty good. We were not disappointed. The room was lovely. Very clean - spotless, very modern and well furnished, & I loved the look of the stone wall.
The location was good - very central, however could get a little noisy in the mornings or late at night, and is a bit of a struggle to reach with luggage - as taxis/buses aren't allowed in the square.
Service was good. All staff were friendly & chatty and were very helpful. We also managed to get a late breakfast one morning as we were tired from our travels & needed a good sleep in - which was very thoughtful.
Beds are also very comfortable.

Overall we had a great stay in Split - LOVED the town & the accommodation was not a let down by any means. I would recommend palace suites to friends & will stay there again if ever in Split.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends