“Appartment doesnt make me feel safe”

Diocletian Palace Experience
Ranked #11 of 463 Speciality Lodging in Split
Perth, Australia
“Appartment doesnt make me feel safe”
Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

Im a single female travelling alone & the apartment (which is a few mins walk frm hostel) makes me feel like well i will struggle to stay safe at night walking back to it.

The apartment smells musty & toilet downstairs with bed up spiral stair case.

I am actually considering leaving a day early because 8 dont feel safe. If i wanted this type of experience i would have chosen airBnB but i booked via booking.com thinking it would be fine..... ummm not so much

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank LusciousLemur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 5 April 2013

located within the palace walls, newly opened, the staff is very helpful ... Split a very interesting city .Diocletian's Palace is amazing, the main square Peristyle looks like you're back in Roman times

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I planned to stay here for just one or two night then move on, but it was so unbelievably good I stayed for my entire 5 night trip in Split. Staff were helpful and friendly, rooms and bathrooms were clean, every one was thoroughly lovely. The food in the resteraunt was outstanding and the buidlding itself is fabuous. Special thanks to Nicolas one of the hostel staff for being so knowledgable on the town and giving us a tour, we had just a fantastic time here and I cannot wait to return. I highly recommend this hostel to anyone travelling to Split, I actually think they are missing a trick and could charge far more than they currently do!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We didn't stay in the hostel, but went there for the free walking tour and then went back for lunch. Maria took us and about 10 others on a walking tour of Split. She was fabulous. She provided all the history you'd expect, but was also willing to share some stories about her own family experiences. It lasts about 90 minutes. Please on't regard this as a free tour. If you can afford to tip Maria, the other tours charge 11 to 15 Euros. This seemed a much smaller and less stuffy tour group than the others we saw.

There was no expectation that we return to the hostel to eat. In fact the tour didn't end there. We did go back though and had a great lunch, local beer and free wifi.

The tourist info office has a map that shows how to get there.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beachlovernow
Reviewed 24 September 2012

A new pretty swish hostel in a beautiful city. We booked a double room and were surprised to find that meant a private apartment, great! The agency staff really looked after us, booking bikes and advice on Island hopping after we left Split. Except for the thumping Euro house played in the cafe I'd highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment - same price and lovely.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

My friend and I booked two separate nights here at either end of our trip to Croatia. I was initially confused as I emailed an agency regarding private apartments and the reply came from the Diocletian Palace Hostel. I asked them to confirm that we were definitely staying in private apartments and not a hostel, which they did. On our first night we had a fab apartment with sofa, stereo, tv, kitchenette and double bed. We were told we would have the same apartment on our second stay, however, we're instead given private use of a 4 bed hostel type studio with bunk beds. I was quite disappointed as this is not what we had been promised.

The agency arranged for us to be collected /returned to the airport for 250k each way which was hassle free. We hired bikes for 4 hours for 50k each and the bikes were in good condition.

I would stay at the apartments again only if I were guaranteed the private apartment and not the bunk bed room.

• Stayed August 2012
Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2012

My group of friend's and I stayed here for one night before beginning a sailing trip. It is located within the walls and admittedly the check in lobby and stair way looked very impressive because of it. The room was roomy enough. The sheets were dirty upon arrival, there was no breeze from the window and it was incredibly hot. The shared shower was terrible, one of the showers had no light, the other was over the top of the toilet with no space for clothing/towel to be kept dry whilst showering. At night the bar downstairs was really popular but we did not eat or drink there as we opted for an early night before sailing off.

Overall - average. Nothing special but certainly not the worst place I have ever stayed. It did the job.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends