“Adequate if unexciting”

Ranked #41 of 55 Hotels in Split
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
“Adequate if unexciting”
Reviewed 6 April 2008

Just stayed in Hotel Marjan for my final night in Croatia, before flying home out of the Split airport on my 2nd trip to this country. My experience was better than what others on this site apparently experienced. Positives: the hotel apparently had been recently renovated, everything was clean, the bathrooms were nicely furnished, room was huge (bigger than most US hotel rooms), there was no cigarette smell (all too common in Croatia lodging), and quiet with little road noise. Downsides: tiny (13") TV, scratchy bedsheets, tiny beds, cheap but serviceable furniture, marginally friendly staff. Room included a balcony overlooking the bay, and a couch, which was a surprise. As I left at 3:45am, I can't judge the breakfast quality.

It is a 10-15 minute walk to the Croatia Airlines bus pick up location (pickup 90 minutes before the flight), on the waterfront. I did not experience bad smells from the gas station. Much of this is par for the course in Croatia lodging, such as tiny beds, and less than friendly service.

Value for money is hard to judge. I find ALL hotels in Croatia to be overpriced. I paid 650 Kuna for this room (about $140 US) for accomodations equivalent to a Days Inn in the US. In most places, private accomodations are the way to go. You get the same quality for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost.

• Liked — perfectly adequate for my needs
  • Disliked — tiny bed (narrower than a standard twin bed in US)
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank kevin_from_AKandCO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 November 2007

A friend booked this hotel for us and we were checked in mid-afternoon by surly staff who, when the elevator tried to kill me, paid no attention to my scream. Upon climbing the stairs to the rooms, we found lighting so dim that we couldn't even figure out where to place our baggage. Since our friend was waiting downstairs, we dropped and ran. When we returned later that evening, the lobby was deserted. It felt totally unsafe for women. Upon arrival at the room, I discovered the lighting was impossibly dim and the pillows were down. Being allergic to feathers, I finally located a desk clerk who said he had no other kinds of pillows. My colleague and I were not happy with the unhelpfulness, the old, scratched furniture (even though this low-rise part of the hotel was supposed to have been refurbished not too long ago), and we decided to leave. The desk clerk argued with us about payment and giving us back our passports. We argued back and he insisted on checking our rooms to make sure we hadn't done anything to them. Since we seemed to be the only people there, it was a bizarre and unsettling experience. We then found accommodations at the Hotel Park, which I can highly recommend. With so many other choices of hotels in Split, I can't imagine why anyone would stay at this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Split hotels

Gore, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 September 2007

Stayed one night here. Rooms basic but had a balcony with a view over the Split waterfront that was spectacular.

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank NzSam
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 21 June 2007

First, you should believe someone who stayed in this hotel, rather than someone who just looked at the outside of it. The hotel served as a refugee location during the wars in the early 90s and they trashed it. The owners have renovated the low-rise portion and the rooms are VERY clean and pleasant. They are beginning renovation on the high rise and pool area. We had two rooms, overlooking the harbor, and only booked a standard double room. It is an absolutely perfect location for the wonderful town of Split (five minute walk from the Palace). The breakfasts are huge, the food is nothing spectacular. The staff, as in much of the Balkans, don't know that smiling can be part of service, but they are not rude, just cool.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cold efficiency
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank RichardinOhio
Prattville, Alabama USA
Reviewed 31 March 2006

I stayed at the hotel as part of a tour group and it was fine. It is in a great location and the rooms were clean and the bathroom had a full size bath/shower combination. The breakfast was adequate. The hotel is fine for a short stay. The tall part of the hotel is not open and does appear to be a bombed out building, but the part open for guests is not bad.

• Stayed March 2006
11 Thank pcbdoug
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 11 October 2005

I must first admit that I did not actually stay at the Hotel Marjan. I was here on tripadvisor reviewing another hotel in Split and was shocked to see that the Marjan is actually an operating hotel. You see, when I was in Split I passed by the Marjan and thought it was a very curious-looking huge old condemned building. In fact, from the outside the building was covered in graffiti, looked like it had many broken windows and doors, and was in a general state of disrepair. It was a bit reminiscent of those bombed-out hotels you see in and around Dubrovnik. I am surprised to see that it is actually inhabitable! I didn't go inside, but from the looks of the outside, I wouldn't touch the building with a ten-foot pole!

• Stayed July 2004
13 Thank Nacozari
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 August 2005

Having found this site by accident, looking up the hotel as a possible recommendation to others, I wonder what the previous reviewer was expecting. I too spent only one night at the Marjan but found the room comfortable and clean and the staff friendly and helpful. The petrol station view was a limitation (and we were exactly opposite but smelt no diesel, perhaps it was the sulphur springs drifting downwind!) but the position was good and it was easy to find when returning at night!

• Stayed July 2005