“Hard to find”

Ranked #31 of 55 Hotels in Split
Lisbon, Portugal
“Hard to find”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We got there from the airport with a transfer arranged by the hotel, so the driver knew where it was located and saved us from going around for a long time trying to find it. But the transfer van could not enter the old city walls and had to park outside. So we had to pull our luggage all the way though the shopping arcade set in the old diocletian cellars, down the stairs and up again into a smelly back alley with garbage cans that had not been emptied, to get to the reception. There is no lobby and the reception is quite small, Our group of seven people and luggage did not fit into it. Only one small elevator and no stairs from the reception to the rooms. So, the first impression is really not good. The room was good enough, though! Big and comfortable bed and linen, big windows and a spacious bathroom. If you are one of those people who, like me, would rather have the window open during the night instead of sleeping with the air com on, then you are in trouble. The narrow streets around the hotel are packed with tourist groups from early in the morning until late at night. You really need to keep your windows closed if you want some peace and quiet. To find the restaurant for breakfast was another challenge. But it was worth the effort as the buffet was very good and you could also order your eggs. We checked out early but needed to leave our lugage behind for a couple of hours. The luggage room was too small to keep all of ours and we had to leave some of it in the reception. Fortunatelly it was all there when we came back, but a 4* hotel should have a large enough room for that purpose. All things considered, the hotel does not meet all the standards I believe a 4* hotel should, but we were not sorry for our choice due to the fantastic location within the diocletian walls, a lovely, clean and comfy room, welcoming staff and plentiful breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank patricia1955

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Swindon
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in early June. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you would like a special holiday in Split!
The hotel is situated within the palace and by the very nature of the beautiful winding streets and narrow cobbled areas, it is a little tricky to find. I emailed the hotel before we left home and the manageress quickly responded and offered to arrange a taxi to collect us from the arrivals area in the airport. The taxi cost EUR40 and the driver was waiting for us when we landed and helped us and our bags to reception. We found this a very useful service and meant we didn't have to look for the hotel. The hotel is however within 10 minutes walk of the bus station, so if you are on a budget, just ask for directions from the station before you go.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff. As I had mentioned an anniversary, a lovely box of chocolates and rose petals awaited us on the bed - these are the little things that make this a special hotel! Thank you!

The location is spot on - close to all of the attractions but without any loud music late at night. A quick left turn from reception will bring you into the main part of the palace; take a right once in the palace and you are out on the promenade. There are shops, patisseries, bars and beautiful architecture within a 30 second walk of the hotel. Perfect. Even the beach is just a 15 minute walk away.

The staff were amazing! The cleaners do a fantastic job and the room was left spotless with clean towels every single day. Even the mirrors and fittings were cleaned daily. Brilliant.
The staff on reception were welcoming and friendly and very happy to have a chat and hear all about your day. We had some helpful recommendations and help arranging some activities.
The manager, Dragana, is lovely. She is warm, friendly and loves to chat. Nothing was too much trouble for her.

The room was lovely. The decor is very specifically antique style, but done with charm and warmth. The room overlooked the outside court yard and breakfast area. The windows block out nearly all of the noise for a good night's sleep. The air conditioning was effective and kept the room a nice temperature.
The bathroom was well appointed with a jucuzzi bath and there was lots of hot water.
The beds are nice and firm and very comfortable with high quality linen. There is plenty of storage. The bathrobes and slippers are a lovely touch! Tea/coffee facilities would be nice but are not common in Croatia so no problem.

Breakfast was lovely. The eggs-to-order were amazing and the buffet food, although not my usual style, were delicious and fresh.

Well done Dragana and staff - a beautiful hotel!

Orlaith and Wayne x

Ps. Have you tried the zip-lining yet? :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PaddyOTravel
Dragana E, Manager at Heritage Hotel Diocletian, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Orlaith and dear Wayne,
Thank you very much for Your visit!
We were extremely glad to have You as our guests, and we do hope You will come to stay with us soon again. 
We really hope You have enjoyed every minute spent in our hotel, as well as in Split, especially because You were celebrating very important anniversary.

Now, zip lininig.... We haven't try it yet, 'cause we are not brave enough, so that's the main reason You have to come back- to convince us it's not that scary (I mean, if You convinced Wayne, convincing us will be piece of cake!)!

Thank You for being top-notch guests! :-)

Looking forward to Your next visit!

Warm regards from Split,
Dragana and staff!
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

First impression was amazing- not my style really I am more for modern art.
Location great, in the city center, food fine, room clean. What makes me wonder a lot is what kind of people work here and take care of your room while UR in.

My business trip finished, I changed accommodation in the city to beachfront. 2 days after I left Diocletian I realized I forgott to take all my clothes from the room. I was not really wondering as...things like this are happening, 4* property should have sth like Lost &Founds office. First I wrote an email, and the next one....no reply, the very next day I called to Diocletian. The receptionist confirmed, yes, yes U have it here. Unfortunatelly it was not mine...it was an old shabby men´s coat ( ready to spend its next period in the rubish)
Andy my clothes: Skirt, trousers, dress and vest? Well ..."Madamm, we are sorry, we did not find anything..." Are U shure U left it it here? ( Excuse me????)

Is it normal and reliable service to keep the quests stuff? To lie! To do not play fair?
I am travelling quite often, never happened to me so the hotel staff was so ignoring, not helpfull, without any offer for compensation.
Pls. be carefull when booking this hotel and staying there, might happen your things can get lost.
Patricia, SK

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Patricia V
Dragana E, Manager at Heritage Hotel Diocletian, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Mrs. Patricia,

Thank You for Your review, and thank You for staying with us.
We are glad that You liked our hotel, but also sad that loss of Your clothes spoiled Your vacation.

Two days after You left hotel You find out that You have lost Your clothes.
Have You ever thought that maybe You really don’t know where You have lost it?

As You said it Yourself, when You arrived, staff have showed You some men's coat which was found in the room- it turned out it wasn't Yours, but if we kept some other people's forgotten stuff;why would we hide Yours?
It happens , very often, that people forget their values (money, jewelry, ipods, very expensive mobile phones, laptops, even credit cards) and we have never had any problem to send it to theirs home adress or to any other requested adress.
What I'm trying to say is; hotel staff have never found anything and fail to report it in our Lost & Found book. Accusation for stealing and lying are very serious so I really hope You will find (or You already have found) Your clothes, and this all will be one big misunderstanding.

Kind Regards
Dragana Eterovic
Hotel Manager
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The first thing is that it was difficult to find. There is no signs for the hotel and that the reception is down a back alley, not great when arriving in the rain as it took 20 mins to find. We were greeted with a frosty reception, so i would not recommend this hotel to same sex couples (I am not the sort to play the gay card). The room was lovely if a little gaudy with the gilded furniture but was exactly as described on the website. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room would make this vastly better, something that i would assume would be standard with a 4 * hotel. Breakfast was odd and the coffee machine at breakfast produces only artificial stuff that tastes strangely like Tia Maria. The room and the bath room were great I would advise people to get the room with the terrace (500) as the junior suite that I was in (307) was good but would have loved to be able to get outside and enjoy the view.

Room Tip: go for room 500 it is by far the best room
4 Thank V1go
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We had a really good time in this lovely hotel and the amazing good fortune to get room 500 with its terrace overlooking the old town - an unique location which really made our holiday. Spent several evenings just admiring the view of the town and the sea and enjoying the music from the main square.

The room has a fun double whirlpool bath. Double glazing keeps the room quiet when needed. Bedroom has very efficient air con which would be a must in high summer. Staff were friendly and attentive and breakfasts generous. Great central location. highly recommended hotel and very highly recommended room!

Room Tip: Room 500 without a doubt.
3 Thank DavidJ025
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We spent three nights in room number 500, which is located in the attic of the hotel. The room is small, but with an amazing terrace with view of the old town and the sea. Every morning we were woken up by cathedral bells, which tower is right next to the hotel. The unique atmosphere of this place emphasize singing of street artists. If you like comfort and luxury and appreciate the history this is the place for you. Little tip for the hotel. Staff is very nice and helpfull, but you should more coddle your guests. Small chocolate or local sweetness and a bottle of water often leaves lovely memories of such a special place. I'm sure, that we will back there someday!

Room Tip: Pay extra for room no 500. Stunning view is worth of its price. Eat breakfast at the terrace with a...
3 Thank KubaiWojtek
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have traveled all across the United States, plus Brazil,
Argentina and nearly all the major European towns. But this hotel was the
best of all. I'd go back to Split just to stay there.

Hotel Diocletian is originally  Marko Marulic's (!!!) house in heart of
Diocletian Palace, and it's been beautifully renovated inside. Our room was
very spacious by even U.S. standards -- an even rarer find among older
European hotels.

A word of advice, however:. Make sure you get very detailed instructions
for finding the hotel, the best is to contact lovely hotel staff which  will
be more than happy to  help You with what ever You need.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple