“A gem in Diocletian's palace” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Slavija

Hotel Slavija
Ranked #11 of 57 Hotels in Split
Montreal
“A gem in Diocletian's palace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I was very happy with this hotel. Its a gem in the Diocletian Palace area of Split.
The reception by Mirjana Svaguša was fantastic. She was helpful, engaging and made my one night stay fantastic. She provided a tour in the evening and was very knowledgeable on her city. An unfortunate incident midway through the tour forced her to leave with other people on the tour for the hospital. Someone fell and injured herself, and Mirjana was fantastic in how she dealt with the situation. Take the tour the hotel offers, its worth it.

The hotel is a bit hard to find, but ask directions to the local merchants, they all know how to get to it. A wonderful little café on the street outside offers affordable coffees, and other fare. The hotel's breakfast was efficient, and complete, satisfying everyone's palates in our group.

Room was great, with an out door terrace. The AC was working fine, considering it was 40 C outside, the washroom was large, and everything spotlessly clean. Water Pressure was good.

One side note, the hotel does not have an elevator, its in a protected building and probably cannot have one installed, if you are on the last floor, you are in for a bit of a climb. Split is not a wheelchair friendly destination, in general, lots of old stairs, so make sure you are in shape before coming :)

I will come back to Split, probably with my parents, and will stay here again, mainly because of how I was received by Mirjana.

Room Tip: Pay for the room with a terrace, its worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank StevenLazaroff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I stayed here as a single traveler for one night as my group split (no pun, honest!) to go our separate ways. I have never stayed anywhere overseas on my own before and was a bit nervous. I got to the hotel early but my room was ready and I was made to feel very welcome. Someone carried my bag up to my room while the receptionist checked me in and organised a cab for me to get back to the airport in the morning. There is a bar just further round from the hotel called the Ghetto Bar, great place for cocktails!

The room was neat and modern. I loved the touch above the bed which showed which area of the palace I was sleeping in and how it used to be laid out. The bed was comfy and the aircon was very welcome.

I woke up the next morning and discovered ants in my room and around the bottom of my bed! I didn't have any food in the room so not sure what attracted them. Breakfast was very basic and not worth the & euro.

The taxi driver picked me up on time and carried my bag to the car and whisked me off to the airport.

I would stay here again, its right inside the palace, the staff were very friendly and gave me some good recommendations of where to eat and where to get tickets from to do the tourist things that I wanted to do.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Michellehill22
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel was excellent the location in the Diocletian palace is amazing.The staff are exceptional especially Mirjana who helped organize a very complex transfer at a great price with a great driver.The hotel has a wonderful bar/restaurant located at the steps to the entrance great for breakfast and delicious cocktails.I would definitely recommend staying there .

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Susan P
connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

You can not beat the location of this hotel inside the old palace/city. Arrived early and rooms were ready. Front desk arrange for a tour of the old palace, our guide who also worked at the hotel could not have been nicer. Only stayed two nights bit would have loved to stay longer...would highly recommend to anyone looking to stay in Split.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Bike2011
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed about 1 week at the hotel and it was excellent! The location is the best possible in Split, right in center of the palace, 2 minutes away from Riga, the cathedral and the main spots, 5 minutes from the bus to the beach, or 10 from the port to the islands. The people at the hotel are incredibly nice, probably the best I ever saw in a hotel. All advice they gave was right on spot.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
11 Thank Miguel2013jul
Alabama, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

We were met at the airport by a driver who took us directly to the hotel. When checked in, the lady at the reception gave us much options and info. She wrote the time table for ferries, buses, where the beach is, and what time do museums open... Where can we go and what can we do. She gave us the book with descriptions of places near Split and explained which bus to take...
First day just relaxing and walking around. But for the next 5 days we have been to Trilj, Sinj, Trogir, Imotski, Makarska... all small places really near Split... all with bus... the book was all about buses.
I can really say we sow true Croatia, not just the tourist places but real people in their real life...
This hotel is true representative of their country not just Split... They really do care and treat you like a human bean... Hotel is in a terrific location, rooms are clean and really nice. Breakfast room is small but they offer everything you may need. I sow one of the comments regarding staff smiling to their colleagues and guests.
I hope that the owner/manager will read this review... The staff of this hotel really makes difference. I have been traveling all my life but never, ever have felt this welcomed, and treated like a person in any of the hotels I have ever stayed.
Thank you all for helping us have an amazing week in a beautiful town and reviling a spectacular country in a different way.

Room Tip: Where ever You stay, You will feel welcomend and treated really nice
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank sara s
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

This hotel has a fantastic location in the heart of the old town. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We were staying on the third floor and due to the age of the hotel there is no lift but one of w staff helped us with our bags. The room we were in had a terrace overlooking the rooftops which was a relaxing place to sit. Be aware that this hotel is above a very popular bar and you will need to keep your windows closed if you want to get a y sleep. Bathrooms are small and could do with some updating.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a terrace for a great view over the city.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple