“Beautiful apartment, welcoming owner”

Zephyrus Boutique Accommodation
Ranked #16 of 173 Split B&B and Inns
“Beautiful apartment, welcoming owner”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband booked this apartment based on the great reviews on TripAdvisor and it was even better than we expected. Right from being met at the airport and driven to the door (apparently taxis won't attempt the narrow street outside the apartment) we felt very welcome.
We stayed in the two bedroom apartment which was the perfect size for our family. The lounge area was well furnished with comfortable sofas and satellite TV. The kitchen area was well equipped (not that we cooked anything!) and the fridge was thoughtfully stocked with juice, milk, yoghurt and preserves. The only slight moan we had was that the master bed was quite soft (we prefer harder beds) and quite squeaky which disturbed our sleep when either of us rolled over!
The balcony was a wonderful place to sit and watch the varied rooftops of the city but at 37 degrees when we visited it was too hot to sunbathe out there - thank goodness for the aircon in the apartment!
Antonia was the perfect host - available and helpful but not intrusive.
The location of the apartment is perfect - just outside the walls of the old city and within walking distance of the main sights, including Marjan Hill and the ferry port. Despite this, it was not at all noisy at night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JoJomax

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We can't begin to tell you what a wonderful host Antonia is. This apartment was just superb. The location perfect and Antonia could not have been more helpful, directing us by phone as we drove around the back streets of Split trying to find it. Then trudging up the hill to help us with our bags when we finally arrived, recommending restaurants for dinner, which were superb! The apartment was immaculately clean, fruit, yoghurt and juice in the fridge, drinks in the courtyard made us feel very welcome within minutes of our arrival. I would not hesitate to come back and stay here, my only regret was we had only booked 1 night and not 4! Coming back for sure as soon as possible!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We were amazed from the start to the finish with our experience at Zephyrus. The host came and jumped in our car upon our phone call inquiring how to get to the hotel and expertly got us a safe place to park and walked us to the apartment. She was very helpful in terms of ideas about what to do in the city to helping us with directions to the airport. I can't say enough about the beautiful apartment. We had a large apartment with a terrace and beautiful kitchen and bathroom (the bathroom even had a rain shower- I love it!) I can't recommend this place enough. I will be back when I have more time to stay to enjoy the beautiful town of Split and the lovely accommodations! The center of old town was only a 5 minute walk and everything just seemed so easy to get to.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My daughter booked us this amazing apartment after much research ( family of 4 adults). The communication with Antonia from London to Split was impeccable and very reliable. Antonia arranged a transfer from Split airport at a cost of 35 euros and the same for our return back to the airport - a real bonus which took away the stress. On our arrival we were given a very detailed overview of the area and solid guidance on what to and not to do, where to visit, shop etc ...

We were amazed at the standard, thought and care taken into making guests feel at home. We had the two bedroom apartment which was so comfortable, clean and spacious we didn't want to leave once our stay was over. The rooms are perfectly air-conditioned and always clean. Great wifi and cable tv too. We really appreciated the extras of tea, coffee, fridge necessities and everything was of a high quality. The location is just perfect! It is literally a 5 minutes walk from everywhere you need to be. The catamaran is about 5-8minutes walk but easy to access. The main supermarket also this distance. We stocked up the first day and really enjoyed having family breakfasts and lunches on the balcony.

Antonia really made our stay very special and so stress free. Like many tourists I was all excited about visiting xyz.... Antonia guided us so impeccably that had I followed my own plans we would not have had such a wonderful holiday. I know many guests who plan ahead worry so below I will list some of things that will take the planning stress away and what we found helpful.

Our stay was for 4 nights in Split and 2 nights in Hvar

Pay in Kuna the national currency where possible, you get more for your money. There are 2 exchange rate hubs around Split and the rate is pretty good so you can pop over as and when needed. Hvar also has these hubs.

Split Excursions ( office at the bottom of the road but also online) - offer fantastic excursions. I arranged mine before arriving in Split and was given a 10% discount for 4 people. Anita again is very efficient and helpful. We highly suggest everyone who can take the trip to the National Park - Plitvice Lakes. If you can get Earnest as your guide even better, very intelligent, helpful and informative. It is so beautiful you will be amazed. Its a must see! It is a lot of walking, some uphill, but as its in a forest environment its a little cooler. Take a good packed lunch and water. If I can get through it trust me anyone can! MUST WEAR COMFORTABLE WALKING SHOES, infact I suggest you bring a pair even if you don't make this visit because Split and Hvar do involve substantial walking. The stopover on the way back at the restaurant is great - fantastic homemade Croatian food ( spit roasts etc) The excursion to Dubrovnic is several hours and in peak season the city is mobbed - avoid. Allow 3-4 days between each excursion because they are full on and tiring.

Trogir - Can be covered in half a day . Antonia gave us a timetable of all the times the boat and buses travel to Triogir. Take the boat its such a relaxing ride and you get a beautiful view of Split.

Travelling to Hvar - I know this was my biggest fear - trust me its a lot easier when you are there. The timetables online are sooo confusing! BUY YOUR TICKET THE DAY BEFORE BY 8.15AM peak season their offices open 8am but people queue beforehand. Basically the Catamaran which is only a walk away from the apartments as it is close to the harbour. The ticket office is there at the harbour too. Antonia was very kind and picked us up our tickets the morning before as she was out early and we were still recovering from the walking at the National Park.There is a 6am, 9am, 11am and 1.45pm ish times. Getting to Hvar is not a problem but if you have a flight to catch and you need to get back to Split in time then I truly suggest you plan carefully. Hvar itself is very eclectic with a mlx of backpackers, young, old, families, something for everybody. We stayed at the Amfora, great pool and views but the rooms maybe over priced for what you get. breakfasts good.

Our flight was 8.50pm and the latest we could leave Hvar was 1.45pm. YOU MUST BUY YOUR TICKET FROM THE JADROLINA OFFICE THE DAY BEFORE - BEFORE 8.15AM. Tickets are 60 kuna each person (easy to find on the harbour where you get on and off the catamaran). Your hotel can get them for you but like ours will want to double the price so I just walked down myself. If you need the 6am, 9am or 11am Jadrolina catamaron back please make sure you go there 7.30 am the day before you leave and queue to ensure you you get a ticket. When I got there 8.30am the day before all the earlier seats were sold out.

Should the Catamaran seats be sold out don't panic - the ferry does have seats and doesn't sellout like the Catamaran. but is a 2 hour trip as opposed to around 1 hour. Also check out a private company called KRILO JET who travel to and from Hvar and have some alternative times - competition for Jadrolina who want people to stay on the island.

If you have the energy do go up to the fortress in Hvar - its a stunning view and the walk is relaxing if taken slowly although is uphill. Take the route ate the side of the pharmacy up the stairs, its easy from here. There an amazing wind tunnel halfway which was a welcome breather. At the Fortress there is a place to have an ice-cream and cold drinks and there is a lovely breeze and time to relax. This is by the cannons.

Must eat out in Split at Paradox wine bar ( great cheeses) The local bakeries and supermarket is also neat Paradox and the cakes are so good! especially the custard slices made Croatian style- Seprun - Split ( spelt wrong I think) fish restaurant . Giaxa - Hvar Island ( wow amazing overall and tucked away down a side street this is a 5 star restaurant) - HVAR must try their lavender ice-cream ( available by the harbour) - amazing. The fish dishes are paradise for fish lovers - not much lobster though but there is an island nearby that specialises in this. Mainly sea bream and sea bass, prawns and shark even. The fish platter to share is good. Pizza is also very good in Hvar and Split. AVOID THE RESTAURANT -FIFE - in Split - its cheap, tasteless food which is badly made. Feels dirty in there and we all felt unwell afterwards. Terrible corny service with no character.

Shopping - I love crystal jewellery so this was heaven for me. Zacs is good in the palace shopping area and the local shops are great. The market and gallery also sell crystal jewellery but it is not sterling silver. Some great local products, but do shop around and enjoy. Trogir had great BRAC stone items ( local stone like limestone) we loved the yin and yang candle holders. bring bubble wrap and wrap carefully if buying this - I had a couple of causalities on my return to London because I ran out of bubble wrap whilst there. Trogir also sells blue coral but red coral is available everywhere. There is a great stall in Hvar which sells handmade sterling silver crystal jewellery , you cant miss it !

I know my review is pretty long but I hope it helps someone in someway because I know myself reading a review and others experience can take the worry out of some aspects of a trip. Have fun because Croatia truly is one of the most beautiful places I have been to. The old towns are still untouched and idyllic. The water is so clear and clean you can see the bottom. We just loved it and will return. A huge thank you to Zephyrus and Antonia for making our stay so memorable:)

Room Tip: If you are a family of 4 the 2 bedroom apartment is just perfect. It has a great balcony and the ent...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ruari888
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My wife and I had the privilege of staying here for three nights. The apartments are top top class, with everything you need. I have never slept in a more comfortable bed. The sheets etc are Egyptian cotton , the air conditioning is quiet, the layout is superb...simply luxury.
Enough about the apartment....! Antonia is one of the friendliest and most helpful hostesses on this planet. Split has to be my favourite city now (used to be Barcelona) . It is bustling , entertaining, and kept extremely clean. Also, very easy to visit the islands or drive south to Dubrovnik, or just to go to the beach. Thank you Antonia, and thank you Croatia for a very memorable holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are same standard.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Prague
Reviewed 7 July 2013

If you are driving don't stay here as its almost impossible to find and I have driven up narrow streets in my travels.nice room ,no Internet,owner couldn't reboot as people were sleeping in room she needed to reboot.said to go to an Internet cafe! At 130euros a night not good enough. For breakfast had butter jams ,honey in the room but no bread! Very average. Would not recommend you stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry L
Essex, Uk
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My wife and two friends stayed at this apartment and met up with me and their respective other halves half way through our sailing holiday. All three were very pleased with the apartment, it was ideally positioned tucked up a small street but only 2 minutes walk from the bustle of the old city waterfront. It has all the mod cons available, including internet and air con. I also met Antonio and she was a delightful lady and made me very welcome even though I wasn't staying there! We would definitely recommend these apartments and will use them again if we visit Split again, which we probably will.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends