“Wonderful stay in August 2011”

Hotel Vestibul Palace
Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Split
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed at the Vestibul Palace in August 2011 before and after a week-long stay in Hvar. Our flights didn´t allow us to go straight to the island, and this was a blessing in disguise.

All I can say is that our expectations were easily surpassed !

The email exchange with them regarding the rooms and our plans was quite nice and left a great impression. We asked them to pick us up at the airport as we were arriving on a national holiday.

When we were getting out of the plane, I saw my suitcase being thrown out by the handle, and I got a bad feeling, that was confirmed upon pick up. The handle was partially broken and I wasn´t going to be able to use the wheels. I could have asked for a replacement or a repair, but it was going to take longer than our vacation time, so we headed out to meet our driver. He told me not to worry, and off we went into Split. We parked ... and he picked us both our suitcases (mine by hand) and we followed him underneath the Diocletian Palace, among all the tourists and the stairs.

The hotel is right in the middle of the Palace, but it is quiet and has a lovely small square in front of the entrance where you can have dinner or breakfast. Our room was at the very top of the building, with open stone walls, a small bathroom and so comfy beds ...

They gave me some duct tape to try and semi-repair the suitcase so that it could survive the holiday, and then they told us not to worry about next day ferry tickets, that they would buy them for us. That day we went for a walk near the beach and then into town and end up having dinner at Konoba Atlantida, near the harbour, a place recommended by some friends.

In the morning we had a great breakfast, and then we headed to our ferry, again with our driver (I don´t remember the name, but everybody was extra-nice) carrying our luggage. He helped us to get the suitcases at a good place inside the ferry, specially given the state of my poor suitcase.

Our return was similar. They were waiting for us at the ferry, picked up the luggage and off to the hotel, where we got the same room as the week before. We decided to have dinner at the hotel, which was nice and entertaining because of an american couple who fussed over the aperitif they had ordered, end up with a glass of spanish cava although the husband maintained that it was croatian, and left having drunk the cava and not paying at all ... and complaining quite loud ;)

The following morning I woke up very early to get to the farmers market. It is quite near from the hotel, and I truly recommend it specially if you have a short flight home. I bought cheese, plums and wild rucola, and they were a hit at home because everybody in the family remembered our time in the former Yugoslavia back in the Eighties.

The only thing I can say it is that I have been recommending Vestibul Palace to all my friends. Some of them complain about the price, but the service is amazing and so it is the place, right in the middle of Diocletian Palace. A brilliant stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 June 2013

This is a tiny little hotel, 2 rooms per floor, no elevator. We were upgraded to the penthouse suite and the sleeping area is a loft above the sitting area and bathroom. Very well located for being inside the place walls and close to all the activity, shops, restaurants and Marina with the boats coming and leaving. The staff are wonderful, and the buffet breakfast, which was included, was spectacular. A great introduction to Croation food with proccuto and cheese as part of the extensive selection from the buffet, or eggs made to order should you desire. The only slight hitch is finding it late at night after a delayed plane flight from Gattwick airport in London. The taxi has to drop you opposite in the public parking area, as no cars can drive into the walled area of the palace. You have to walk through a market area, and up a flight of stairs to get to the entrance. Once you arrive though, your bags will be carried to your room, and if you inform them you are there, (call when the taxi drops you) they will come down and meet you and help you bring your bags. You are truly in Emporer Diocletian's former dressing room (Vestibule) as pieces of the original palace walls have been incorporated into the very modern design.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hilary S
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My interest in Croatia began with Diocletian's palace. Hotel Vestibul is built within it, with the Roman walls exposed. The rooms and dining room are very attractive. We loved staying in this hotel! The breakfast consisted of many varieties of fruit, ham and sausage, bread, yogurt, cheese, eggs made according to request, cereals, etc. We dined often in the hotel's courtyard across from the Ethnographic museum and only had to walk through the roman remains of Diocletian's vestibul to sit in the lit up peristyle, listening to guitar music. Magical!
Light sleepers should request a room with windows not facing toward the roman vestibul.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should choose a room without a window facing directly towards the Roman vestibul.
1  Thank elizabeth L
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I didn't really know what to expect when we were making our way to the hotel in the center of the palace. Once we were checked in and settled in, we were just amazed. I am weird when it comes to cleanliness of hotel rooms, and let me tell you...this room was impeccably clean. The room is a bit small, but when you realize where you are staying, you understand there is nothing they can really do about it. Breakfast spread was great, and after the first day I didn't even have to ask them for a coffee because they remembered what I wanted. The hotel was well staffed at all times of the day, and the staff was friendly and always making sure you had what you needed. In the morning, there are musicians singing right around the corner which was a nice thing to walk out to. I just have too many great things to say about this hotel. I would recommend it to anyone, and hope to stay there again some day.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

First I have to say that I LOVED Croatia, all of the people are kind and want nothing in return. This hotel is located INSIDE the palace walls-next to the old dressing room of the emperor where the atrium is and a beautiful quartet sings lovely Croatian songs daily. (this is to help you find it) We wouldn't have been able to find it alone, but asked a waiter on the main promenade, who not only told us where-but lead us to the place & helped with our luggage. I've been in tourist traps before where people do this sort of thing only for money but when I tried giving him some payment, he refused outright and said he wished us a stress free vacation which is why he helped us. Wow, people are like this all over. The hotel is SO charming, thankfully I was able to get a room as there are only 7. My room had 3 windows, a nice size for Europe and for inside the palace walls. It is all seemingly new & very well kept inside the hotel. The checkin was very easy quick & the front desk arranged a tour with a local named Goya. Do not get a tour in the square with 50 other people, this tour was SO worth it! Goya not only told us the entire history of Split but also his own personal history having grown up there...he is an elder of the community but don't let that stop you, we were keeping up with him for sure! (& We're healthy fit people). Perfect hotel, only complaint I have is the AC is set not to go lower than a certain temp and it was warm at night even with the windows open in May, so I imagine it'd be quite hot in mid-summer. Breakfast was included in my room and was very good. Eggs to order, fruits, breads, etc. Upon checkout I accidentally left our passports and all of our currency in the safe! They were holding our luggage waiting for our driver & we went to lunch. Not only did they immediately tell us (as I had also realized and was running towards the hotel) but every last penny was there. Great people, great place. See my other reviews for the rest of Croatia (including where to eat!)

(no fitness or pool but I couldn't figure out how to deselect them below)

Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

All a hotel should be- very comfortable modern room in iconic ruins of Diocletian's palace. Staff who are so helpful you wish they would be the team at any hotel you stay in. Great fresh, local food used at dinners. And they park your car for you at a garage - there is no parking at the hotel. But that is no problem- the staff will meet you in central Split and take you to the hotel with your luggage, then park the car.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank york1000
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We spent 3 days here and thoroughly enjoyed the location and the excellent service of the staff. The hotel is located right off the vestibule of the Diocletian Palace right in the center of the key historic pieces of old town. It gets the echoes of the singers who perform almost every day in the vestibule. We were in a normal room and while it is quite small the bathroom is comfortable and we were able to maneuver around in the room adequately. There was lots of light and openable windows which helped add a feeling of space. We did find enough space for clothes, our toiletries in the bathroom and other stuff. There was a desk that was good for cameras, travel folders and books and the all important charging space for electronics. Good light though it could have been slightly better. Bathroom was big, well organized with a bathtub and shower. The bed was comfortable. In hot weather the air conditioning might not have kept up, but when we were there, though warm the open windows at night cooled the room to a very comfortable temperature. Good buffet or cooked breakfast in a nice room that they carved within the landmark buildings. The staff really makes it even a more pleasant place to be. Not intrusive but friendly and helpful with suggestions. We also ate dinner there in the quiet city plaza and thought the food was good, and it was a nice choice after a very crowded day in Split.

1  Thank Chicago60604
Vestibul_Management, Director of Sales at Hotel Vestibul Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank You for such kind words. Singers You have heard are the most popular group of "A Cappella" singers in Croatia, and they do perform every day, specially during breakfast. I am glad to hear You loved our standard double room, within the Diocletian's Palace. Our restaurant "Diocles" offers You intimate atmosfere just in the heart of the city, in the emperor's quarters and I am trully glad You did have a chance to try some of the food it offers.

All the best,