“In the old city which is both good and bad”

Hotel Vestibul Palace
Ranked #18 of 56 Hotels in Split
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night on return from boat charter and had to leave very early the following morning. The location is both good and bad. It is right in the heart of the old Palace so really convenient but the drawback is with the free concert staged on a Saturday night was a little noisy. Probably not the case if you stay any other night. Staff were helpful in organising transfer to Trigor for lunch and also to airport at 4.00am in the morning. Compared to other small luxury hotels we have stayed at this was the most expensive and missing the little touches, especially tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Judita Palace far far better and less expensive.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank homeawa
There are newer reviews for Hotel Vestibul Palace

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Another terrible choice made by me to stay in this 'Palace Hotel' The website shows the hotel and the rooms to be so good and modern but in reality the hotel rooms seem a bit run down and smaller than it seems on the website.
The Double Room in the adjoining part of the Vestibul Palace the Villa Dobric, the bedroom is up a narrow staircase but theres only the bed, the bathroom and other utilities are on the lower level.
This hotel also boast of being part of the SLH, but id really like to question the Small Leading Hotels Organisation to review this hotel!

5  Thank JPHazarat
Reviewed 18 June 2013

the room itself is quite average really for the price you are paying but then i guess it really is location location and location. there is also the special charm that the hotel is part of the old palace itself. sleep quality wise not very good. pillows are not soft neither were the linens, i think they can improve on that, again for the price that the guests are paying. breakfast was quite nice though. i usually skip breakfast as i get up very late but then somebody mysteriously knocked at my door at 9 am so. and then some neighbor's alarm went off at 5 am so that didnt help with the sleep either. the hotel is very inflexible about checkout time. i got a call at 12.08 noon. i mean they could be a bit courteous i thought but then it is a tiny hotel with only 7 rooms so i think i kind of understand. staff are extremely friendly and helpful though.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed at the Vestibul Palace in August 2011 before and after a week-long stay in Hvar. Our flights didn´t allow us to go straight to the island, and this was a blessing in disguise.

All I can say is that our expectations were easily surpassed !

The email exchange with them regarding the rooms and our plans was quite nice and left a great impression. We asked them to pick us up at the airport as we were arriving on a national holiday.

When we were getting out of the plane, I saw my suitcase being thrown out by the handle, and I got a bad feeling, that was confirmed upon pick up. The handle was partially broken and I wasn´t going to be able to use the wheels. I could have asked for a replacement or a repair, but it was going to take longer than our vacation time, so we headed out to meet our driver. He told me not to worry, and off we went into Split. We parked ... and he picked us both our suitcases (mine by hand) and we followed him underneath the Diocletian Palace, among all the tourists and the stairs.

The hotel is right in the middle of the Palace, but it is quiet and has a lovely small square in front of the entrance where you can have dinner or breakfast. Our room was at the very top of the building, with open stone walls, a small bathroom and so comfy beds ...

They gave me some duct tape to try and semi-repair the suitcase so that it could survive the holiday, and then they told us not to worry about next day ferry tickets, that they would buy them for us. That day we went for a walk near the beach and then into town and end up having dinner at Konoba Atlantida, near the harbour, a place recommended by some friends.

In the morning we had a great breakfast, and then we headed to our ferry, again with our driver (I don´t remember the name, but everybody was extra-nice) carrying our luggage. He helped us to get the suitcases at a good place inside the ferry, specially given the state of my poor suitcase.

Our return was similar. They were waiting for us at the ferry, picked up the luggage and off to the hotel, where we got the same room as the week before. We decided to have dinner at the hotel, which was nice and entertaining because of an american couple who fussed over the aperitif they had ordered, end up with a glass of spanish cava although the husband maintained that it was croatian, and left having drunk the cava and not paying at all ... and complaining quite loud ;)

The following morning I woke up very early to get to the farmers market. It is quite near from the hotel, and I truly recommend it specially if you have a short flight home. I bought cheese, plums and wild rucola, and they were a hit at home because everybody in the family remembered our time in the former Yugoslavia back in the Eighties.

The only thing I can say it is that I have been recommending Vestibul Palace to all my friends. Some of them complain about the price, but the service is amazing and so it is the place, right in the middle of Diocletian Palace. A brilliant stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This is a tiny little hotel, 2 rooms per floor, no elevator. We were upgraded to the penthouse suite and the sleeping area is a loft above the sitting area and bathroom. Very well located for being inside the place walls and close to all the activity, shops, restaurants and Marina with the boats coming and leaving. The staff are wonderful, and the buffet breakfast, which was included, was spectacular. A great introduction to Croation food with proccuto and cheese as part of the extensive selection from the buffet, or eggs made to order should you desire. The only slight hitch is finding it late at night after a delayed plane flight from Gattwick airport in London. The taxi has to drop you opposite in the public parking area, as no cars can drive into the walled area of the palace. You have to walk through a market area, and up a flight of stairs to get to the entrance. Once you arrive though, your bags will be carried to your room, and if you inform them you are there, (call when the taxi drops you) they will come down and meet you and help you bring your bags. You are truly in Emporer Diocletian's former dressing room (Vestibule) as pieces of the original palace walls have been incorporated into the very modern design.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hilary S
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My interest in Croatia began with Diocletian's palace. Hotel Vestibul is built within it, with the Roman walls exposed. The rooms and dining room are very attractive. We loved staying in this hotel! The breakfast consisted of many varieties of fruit, ham and sausage, bread, yogurt, cheese, eggs made according to request, cereals, etc. We dined often in the hotel's courtyard across from the Ethnographic museum and only had to walk through the roman remains of Diocletian's vestibul to sit in the lit up peristyle, listening to guitar music. Magical!
Light sleepers should request a room with windows not facing toward the roman vestibul.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should choose a room without a window facing directly towards the Roman vestibul.
1  Thank elizabeth L
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I didn't really know what to expect when we were making our way to the hotel in the center of the palace. Once we were checked in and settled in, we were just amazed. I am weird when it comes to cleanliness of hotel rooms, and let me tell you...this room was impeccably clean. The room is a bit small, but when you realize where you are staying, you understand there is nothing they can really do about it. Breakfast spread was great, and after the first day I didn't even have to ask them for a coffee because they remembered what I wanted. The hotel was well staffed at all times of the day, and the staff was friendly and always making sure you had what you needed. In the morning, there are musicians singing right around the corner which was a nice thing to walk out to. I just have too many great things to say about this hotel. I would recommend it to anyone, and hope to stay there again some day.