“Stay in the Palace and be Treated Like Royalty”

Hotel Vestibul Palace
Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Split
Plymouth, Minnesota
“Stay in the Palace and be Treated Like Royalty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

This is a wonderful hotel run by very nice people situated within the walls of Diocletian's Palace in Split. As previous readers have indicated, it can be a bit tricky to locate but follow the directions carefully and it will all be worth it. It is an oasis of calm in a very frenetic part of Split. The location is exceptional and puts you on the doorstep of everything there is to see in the old and very interesting city of Split. If you come by car, park temporarily in the small area at the edge of the Riva (just north of the ferry docks) . Do not plan on taking your luggage to the hotel on your own. The always accomodating staff will lug it up the stairs and will also park your car for you (good idea as parking is in short supply and requires a long walk). You can expect a very warm welcome and staff willing to help you with any need you might have. The rooms are very stylish as are all public spaces; great care and thought went into creating this charming small hotel. Breakfast was excellent and is served in the small restaurant or outside on their patio. This is a fairly expensive hotel, but the location, charm, style and warm wlecome make it good value.

• Liked — Great service, location, stylish design
  • Disliked — lots of stairs, no elevator
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Korean first
Bebington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2008

I have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Vestibul Palace hotel in Diocletian's Palace in the centre of Split and what a wonderful experience it was! I had seen the hotel's website and also had seen it from the outside the previous year on a day trip from Trogir and thought the location was excellent. I am so glad that I decided to spend a week here this June. The hotel is small but the rooms, reception and café bar/restaurant are excellent. The aircon throughout the hotel was especially welcome after the 30°+ temperatures outside during the entire week! Whilst the room I stayed in was not huge (Room 4) it was plenty big enough for me, although next time I stay here (which I definitely would), I think I'd upgrade to a room with a seating area (rooms 2 and 6?) although I didn't really spend that much time in the room. Sitting outside for breakfast every morning listening to the klapa singing round the corner was fabulous! I ate dinner at the hotel 2 evenings during my stay and the food was fantastic. Thanks to Branimir for excellent service especially on my last evening when I arrived back at the hotel around 10 (when the kitchen is due to close) and they were more than happy to set up a table for me in the restaurant. Reception staff were excellent ; thanks to Marijana, Marija (whom I'd met the previous year when she was working in Trogir), Ana and Anita and the young guy in the evening who always remembered my room number (and whose name I can't remember) and the young guy who helped me with my luggage on departure. The hotel can be diffficult to find but just phone them when you get to the Riva and they will be more than happy to send someone to help you with your luggage; and escort you to the hotel; fortunately, my taxi driver on my arrival helped me with my luggage and escorted me to the hotel. Whilst the hotel is not cheap, I think that it was worth every penny and I would have no hesitation in staying there again!

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — nothing (apart from having to leave to come home!)
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
Northeastern US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2008

I stayed in the Vestibul Palace in January with a group of friends.

Like the previous reviewer, we also arrived at night, and were grateful that the hotel was able to supply a driver to pick us up at the airport and to help carry our bags through the streets to the hotel. As we walked through the gates in Diocletian's city wall and up the steps to the plaza leading to the hotel, we were amazed not only that so much Roman architecture still exists, but that so much of it has been incorporated into the modern city - or vice versa.

To enter the hotel, one walks through the ruins of the domed entrance, or "vestibul" of Diocletian's palace. We lingered for a moment in this dramatic cylindrical space and marveled over the 2000 year old domed ceiling with its open oculus.

The hotel is modern and minimalist, with only a few smallish rooms finished in dark brown wood. Mine had two windows that opened, but without notable views. The bathroom was sleek, with dark stone finishes and a shower stall but no tub. The lobby has a small cafe where breakfast is served, but there are also a few tables on the sunny plaza outside the hotel. Breakfast was fresh fruit, pastries, and very good coffee. The service was excellent.

The hotel is well located, in the middle of picturesque Split, and within easy walking distance of the riva and the ferries to the islands. The route from the hotel to town winds through spectacular ruins, including the domed vestibul and a colonnaded plaza leading to it.

One of our group was excited to find that his room had a window facing directly onto the ancient vestibul. However, he soon learned that the vestibul is a popular place for students to hang out to drink and play music late at night. Even in my room, around the corner from the vestibul, the kids were roaringly loud, amplified by the acoustics in the domed space. My friend tried calling the front desk several times, but the hotel staff said there wasn't much they could do. The kids eventually dispersed around 3 am. Unless you're a true night owl, I would advise asking for a quiet room in the back of the hotel.

• Liked — Setting within the walls of Diocletian's palace
  • Disliked — Being kept awake by street noise
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

We stayed at the hotel Vestibul Palace for the first two nights of our honeymoon in Croatia. The hotel is totally tucked within Diocletian's Palace. We arrived late at night and our travel agent had secured a private car service; our driver called ahead to the hotel and an attendant came out of the Palace and down to the Riva to meet us. Thank God. We would've NEVER found the hotel on our own. I definitely recommend you do the same.

The hotel staff was very personable and courteous. The rooms were clean and beautiful, albeit small. But I enjoyed the smallness of the hotel. The breakfast was absolutely beautiful. And the location was wonderful. Really, 2 days is all one needs in Split and this is the hotel to spend them in.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2008

Beautifully designed boutique hotel right in the middle of Diocletian's palace. Friendly staff, tasty food at the restaurant, comfortable bed, well-appointed bathroom. My only quibble is that the room I stayed in (#4, one of the two single rooms available) had a freakishly low ceiling - I'm 5'11", and the ceiling was just a couple of inches over my head (taking a shower, I kept hitting my arms against it!). According to the hotel staff, this is the only room with this problem - meaning if you're over 5'10" and staying in a single room, you might want to ask not to be placed in #4. Also, as other guests have commented, the hotel can be tricky to find from the Riva, which is where most guests will be coming from - make sure you call/email the front desk to get detailed instructions on how to get there (or just read the following: you have to take the Iron Gate through the market in Diocletian's basement, go up the stairs, then turn around and take the second set of stairs right behind you, go through the palace vestibule, and you'll see the hotel on your right).

• Stayed May 2008
Southern U.S.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2008

A true gem of a small hotel inside the Palace. Staff is excellent and for the first time in Croatia, the lounge was non-smoking.

A little hard to locate, but patience and persistence make it all worthwhile.

Rooms are great. . . wired internet at no charge, air conditioning you control, Towels have a lavender scent.

Breakfast is good.

The front desk is exceptional in helping with directions, restaurant suggestions, tour information. . .

This is a first class operation!!!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hard to drive there
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
Beverly Hills, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2007

I stayed here for several nights...it was amazing! Not a big Hotel, just a few rooms, but the staff treats you as yiu were the only Guest, alltough they seem quite busy with tipps&tricks, phones, internet & stuff... Rooms are not very spacious (seen 2 suites, but did not stay in one), but extremly well fitted:great bath, leather bed and chail, nice wood...and the walls are (as they say) original from the Palace...and it really looks great!!!

The girls and guys at the reception spoke excellent english, very friendly and helpfull..they seem to know everything and are ready to find and provide you bus, ferry and plane tickets, accomodation all around croatia..Great Job!

Will definitelly reccommend this to all...

• Liked — staff & rooms, location
  • Disliked — no elevator, hard to reach
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple