“Loved the Location and Hotel”
Review of B&B Kastel 1700

B&B Kastel 1700
Ranked #26 of 55 Hotels in Split
London, United Kingdom
“Loved the Location and Hotel”
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Perfectly located within Diocletian's Palace complex in the heart of Split City, walking distance to ferry terminals. Booked a single room but I think was "upgraded" to spacious double room. Didn't have breakfast. Fridge & kettle in room but Tea bags were chargeable (about 40 euro cents). Felt like a mini apartment. internet at reception at reasonable price. Room clean and beds comfortable. No complaints. Well worth the money. Loved it! Would stay here again.

Word of warning: No lifts for those unable to walk up stairs or with plenty of luggage.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
London
Reviewed 6 September 2009

After reading mixed reviews, we were able to develop our own after staying here for 2 nights before traveling to Hvar. We were surprised with how comfortable to rooms actually were. The views from our window were amazing (not all rooms view the water). Beds comfortable and facilities were all good.
We also came back and stayed another night in another room slightly smaller at the end of our trip and the standards were still high.
Both rooms had good working air con and the staff were helpful and friendly.
We did read a review about room number 1 being noisy and it must have been as it backed straight onto the foyer area. Worth asking not to be placed in hear unless you're a heavy sleeper!
Smack bang in the middle of Split town - you can't go wrong here. We were there in peak season and rates were what we'd pay anywhere else in Europe.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Attached to a corner of Diocletian's Palace, just off the Riva, the Hotel Kastel is very well located for visiting Split. It was somewhat further from my ferry's arrival area than I expected - closer to a mile than a half mile - but my ferry docked at the furthest pier, and that added to the distance. Fortunately, the walk was flat, making it easy to get there. I didn't have trouble finding the hotel - once you reach the southwest corner of the Palace, turn right, turn right again, and then right again and you will be facing the single flight of stairs to the hotel's entrance.

The room I had on my one night there in late May was large and generally comfortable, but it was not ideal. It was a Friday night, and there were many people enjoying nearby outdoor cafes, so there was some noise. I could largely block it out by closing the window, but then I needed the air conditioner. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a comfortable setting for the air conditioner - the room fluctuated from too hot to too cold during the night, forcing me to get up to try to re-adjust it multiple times. Too, the bed could have been a bit more comfortable.

I chose to have breakfast at the hotel and was glad I did - the buffet offered a reasonable array of options an a nicely decorated setting. Also, the nearby outdoor cafes were very, very busy, so the hotel's breakfast was a convenient option.

The reception desk was not staffed 24/7 when I was there, but when there were staff on duty, they spoke English well and were helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 17 July 2009

after paying for what i thought would be a lovely hotel to end our trip at, we were surprised when we arrived at the hotel. it was quite hard to find, and the appearance at first glance is pretty poor - cant see they would attract many travellers who havent booked. however, inside was much nicer and our room was very nice. Had we paid Split B&B prices not london hotel prices) we would have been very happy. Breakfast wasnt included either which was a kick in the teeth. room (room 4) was sizeable and the bathroom was ok, but our aircon unit did not really work so the room was very hot. we had breakfast one day and it was standard croation buffet breakfast - not bad and plenty to go round. it must be said the location is ideal - 5/10 min walk from ferry, 1 min from town centre, 30 secs to promenade.

liked our stay but couldnt help thinking about what we should have got for the money we spent the whole time - would recommend but only pay what you would be happy paying to stay in a 2* (out of london) in the UK.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed 7 June 2009

The room was great, had everything you could need, kitchenette etc. The staff was very helpful and pleasant and the location was perfect. It is a bit hard to find as the cabs can't drive all the way in, but the tourist centre was very helpful in helping me find my way there. That probably wouldn't have been a problem if it hadn't been late and dark out. I would highly recommend the place.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed 21 May 2009

This B&B has an excellent location in the old-town and is close the ferry/bus terminals. We stayed here on our way down to Dubrovnik/Montenegro and then on the way back on the way home. The receptionist Ana was very helpful and gave us excellent advice on where to eat etc and basically could not have done more for the guests.

one thing -AVOID ROOM 1 !!!!! It's basically in the lobby -we stayed in this one on the way back and whilst we were informed it was smaller, we were not told you may as well have slept in the lobby due to the noise.

The hilarious thing is that we did complain about this, when we went to pay for the room ana was goine and owner's daughter was there -she would not let us pay for the room by card and told us we had to pay with cash as this was the hotel policy (even though we had paid by card on our initial stay) - There was nothing on the website to state this at the time and the daughter started to accuse us of lying and siad that if i had email confirmation she could prove it...well - this was not my first holiday so i duly pulled out my email confirmation minus the policy of which she spoke of, no matter!! even though it was their mistake we had to go and get cash. She came across as rude and spoilt and i am not sure if she was meant to be there but i have to write about it as she was the one thing (apart from the boom box that is room 1) that spoilt our stay.

I would still recomment this B&B as it is in a great location and Split old town is great too - just avoid room one and pray you get served by Ana......

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abergavenny_Belfast
Kuttawa, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 December 2008

It was raining hard and at night when the taxi driver dropped me off by the old city and said, "walk 50 meters, turn left, then walk another 50 meters and turn right". After wandering around the old city soaking wet, I ventured to ask a couple of young women for help. Fortunately, one of them spoke English, and they helped me find the hotel. Perhaps that was what made the hotel seem so wonderful. Or the stocked bar. Or the wonderful staff. At any rate, I loved my stay here. In fact, as I was leaving, I went ahead and booked another night later on. For the old city, the location is incredible. BUT, I strongly suggest you arrive during the day, because the location is a bit difficult to find.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — Difficult to find at first
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)