“Highly Recommended”
Review of B&B Kastel 1700

B&B Kastel 1700
Ranked #28 of 58 Hotels in Split
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We arrived at Split Airport jumped straight on a bus into the main town, found the hotel immediately just off a beautiful bussling boulevard filled with eateries and bars. The room was spotless, small bathroom but very comfortable. The breakfast basic but filling (croissants, bread, ceral, cheese, ham, eggs).

I am very fussy where I lay my head to sleep and had no problem catching 40 winks. The place has so much enegy people sitting drinking coffee and eating and 15 minute walk to the nearest beach.

Very close to the bus station and ferry port. Plenty to see and do, but if you just wanna chillax then take a seat at one of the many bars and watch the world go by.

Plenty of shops to browse around and if like me you love shoes, well this is the place to be!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 April 2010

we have stayed here a few times when our flights have been too late for the boat to Hvar or vice versa. Although it's £80 - £100 a night this is not too bad for Split. It's clean and comfortable... It can be a little noisy but anywhere in the middle of anywhere is bound to be - anyway, the fact you are in the walls of Diocletian's palace make up for it!
We've never bothered with breakfast as we always head around the corner to one of the cafes on Riva... probably even more overpriced but such a pleasant way to spend a morning!
I stayed here when I was pregnant and it was OK but I was a bit wary of the stairs as all the stairs and pavements in the palaca walls are extremely slippery when wet.
This hotel is great if you:
Want to be in the middle of things
Can walk up stairs (roman architecture is not too wheelchair friendly i'm afraid)
Want some where which is (relatively) well priced
Need to be near the port (e.g. getting a boat over to one of the islands) or near the bus/railway station (e.g. buses to Bosnia, Serbia; trains to Zagreb)
Want somewhere clean but not luxurious
Want to be near good restaurants, cafes and bars
I would recommend this as a great 1 or 2 night hotel for seeing Split... for any longer I would consider staying out of Split centre so that you can go to the beach and get a bit more peace and quiet!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fiona_mama
Reviewed 11 December 2009

Yes, this hotel is centrally located. Due to this, it can be noisy until 1 to 2 a.m. or even longer. Our studio was rather small. Everything was in working order. The AC worked well but was too noisy, so we had to turn off when staying in the room. Breakfast was on the poor side, very basic and instant coffee was offered (this should not happen in Croatia, where excellent coffee is well known and appreciated, be it espresso or turkish coffee).
We stayed three nights. One night we found our room untouched except for new towels. This should not happen either. Having said this, I found the room rate too high for that was has been offered in turn.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Location is the best in town.Public parking is close by.Rooms are relatvely small but very clean and comfortable.Management is very friendly and ready to help.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Perfectly located within Diocletian's Palace complex in the heart of Split City, walking distance to ferry terminals. Booked a single room but I think was "upgraded" to spacious double room. Didn't have breakfast. Fridge & kettle in room but Tea bags were chargeable (about 40 euro cents). Felt like a mini apartment. internet at reception at reasonable price. Room clean and beds comfortable. No complaints. Well worth the money. Loved it! Would stay here again.

Word of warning: No lifts for those unable to walk up stairs or with plenty of luggage.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2009

After reading mixed reviews, we were able to develop our own after staying here for 2 nights before traveling to Hvar. We were surprised with how comfortable to rooms actually were. The views from our window were amazing (not all rooms view the water). Beds comfortable and facilities were all good.
We also came back and stayed another night in another room slightly smaller at the end of our trip and the standards were still high.
Both rooms had good working air con and the staff were helpful and friendly.
We did read a review about room number 1 being noisy and it must have been as it backed straight onto the foyer area. Worth asking not to be placed in hear unless you're a heavy sleeper!
Smack bang in the middle of Split town - you can't go wrong here. We were there in peak season and rates were what we'd pay anywhere else in Europe.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Attached to a corner of Diocletian's Palace, just off the Riva, the Hotel Kastel is very well located for visiting Split. It was somewhat further from my ferry's arrival area than I expected - closer to a mile than a half mile - but my ferry docked at the furthest pier, and that added to the distance. Fortunately, the walk was flat, making it easy to get there. I didn't have trouble finding the hotel - once you reach the southwest corner of the Palace, turn right, turn right again, and then right again and you will be facing the single flight of stairs to the hotel's entrance.

The room I had on my one night there in late May was large and generally comfortable, but it was not ideal. It was a Friday night, and there were many people enjoying nearby outdoor cafes, so there was some noise. I could largely block it out by closing the window, but then I needed the air conditioner. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a comfortable setting for the air conditioner - the room fluctuated from too hot to too cold during the night, forcing me to get up to try to re-adjust it multiple times. Too, the bed could have been a bit more comfortable.

I chose to have breakfast at the hotel and was glad I did - the buffet offered a reasonable array of options an a nicely decorated setting. Also, the nearby outdoor cafes were very, very busy, so the hotel's breakfast was a convenient option.

The reception desk was not staffed 24/7 when I was there, but when there were staff on duty, they spoke English well and were helpful.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo