“A study in contrasts”

Authentic Luxury Rooms
Ranked #26 of 56 Hotels in Split
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We booked a reservation in Authentic Luxury Suites, now called rooms, in July 2013. Our driver could not find the place and no one he asked had ever heard of it. Finally we reached a cell phone which I had copied down and Mario (who was super helpful) found us and brought us to to their location. As mentioned in other reviews, the place is a collection of rooms. We arrived in front of a run down building, and discovered we had 3 steep flights of stairs to climb. This is not the image I had from the glowing reviews I read. The interior of the building was dark and dirty.
The room on the other hand, was lovely, very modern, clean, and recently refurbished. The jacuzzi was a welcome plus, and we received a bottle of champagne.
Our real shock came when we saw the price! Beware of booking with "Booking.com" The price was quoted in US$ , but the confirmation was in euros. I did not double check the confirmation because I assumed if I was quoted a $ price I would pay a $ price. It was an expensive lesson. The management was very nice, but let us know that they always quoted euros and our problem was clearly with "Booking.com" even after we showed them the dollar price they quoted us.
We were lucky and had good weather so the 3 block walk to breakfast every morning was not a problem. The room and the staff were fine, but the building, the steps, no services available in our room, did not match the high price we paid. We had to go out to find ice at night.
The staff, especially Mario, went out of their way to be helpful.

Room Tip: The room with the jacuzzi is nice.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

This place seems to be an oddball collection of rooms scattered in some buildings in central Split. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it makes for perhaps a riskier stay than other hotels. This experience yielded a couple strong positives and a couple strong negatives.

The positives -- Our room was really very nice. It was modern, somewhat stylish, and very well lit. Bathroom had one of the most comfortable jacuzzi tubs I've seen in quite a while. Also the manager was very friendly and helpful.

The negatives -- There is no front desk here really, just an office that was about three blocks from our room, and one that is usually not staffed. The manager gave us his cell number to use any time, but frankly, that is way inferior to being able to go to a desk. I don't really use my phone when traveling, it costs a fortune to make calls, and I don't even always know how. Also, our room was in a building that was very poorly lit at night and required a walk up 51 steps. Nothing terrible in that, but other people might be quite uncomfortable with either of these. Breakfast was a bit minimal compared to other hotels in this price range.

Given what I've written so far, I'd say the positives and negatives make it a wash and would have given an 'Average' rating. But one surprise tipped the scale below average. They don't take credit cards. I have experienced this at very inexpensive places, but never at a hotel as expensive as this one. (We were here at peak season, and our room was not cheap, despite the downsides). I guess it saves them a little money to not pay credit card fees, but totally at our inconvenience. I do not see how this could possibly be justified.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ProNomad33062
Mario T, Receptionist at Authentic Luxury Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Sir,

thanks for your review.

When you booked with us through a third party page you have seen the rooms are located in 2 different locations, just 100m away one from another. Also it is stated that no credit cards are accepted, so no surprise at all (as you wrote)!
Our E-Mail conversation before your arrival is a good opportunity to clarify all questions that are bothering you - unfortunately there were no questions.
Thanks again for your time to write this review.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

The location of the hotel couldn't be better. It's in between of the Bacvice beach and the city center (Diocletian's palace & Riva etc). Only about 5min walk to each. The harbour is close aswell if you want to make a trip to Hvar or other beautiful islands near Split.

The rooms are spacious, clean and the air conditioning worked very well (you'll need one in August!). Beds we're a bit too hard for my taste but other than that everything was perfect.

The owners and the staff was very friendly and helpful (especially Maja - she's amazing!).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DanDee82
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the spacious rooms. Great quiet location, 5 minute walk to centre where there are restaurants and shops. Staff are very kind, especially Mya who made a little take away breakfast for my friend and I who had an early 5:30am departure. Used their laundry service, very quick and reasonably priced. Would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Kylie M
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is a great way to spend the night in Split. The rooms are built with in combo of the traditional and authentic style with modern amneties. Great serviceminded staff and a very central location. really recommended.

2  Thank flaksen
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Hotel Authentic Luxury Rooms was absolutely amazing. The room we received was spacious, clean and the best B&B I stayed in compared to others in Croatia and Italy. The owners are EXTREMELY helpful and are very easy going and easy to talk to if you have any questions regarding where to go for the best food, getting around, etc. Every morning our bed was made and we were given fresh towels, which was essential. The shower was actually a normal shower in Europe, not the ones where you have to bend down, lather yourself up first then hold the shower head to rinse yourself off. I would definitely recommend this place as my No. 1 for those who are staying in Split and want to be walking distance from the city centre. There is also a quaint cafe right across the street from Hotel Authentic, so that came of convenience. Thank you again Hotel Authentic for everything you've done for my husband and I, we are truly grateful :)

2  Thank Ari_Stefan
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Thanks a lot to Mario, Maya and the rest of the staff for an excellent week in your charming hotel with a personal atmosphere! Thanks for good advices and service with a personal touch. The 300 year old newly renovated building made the rooms special and more than an ordinary hotel. The beds were good, quiet nights, delicate and clean rooms and a simple breakfast with everything you need. The only thing we missed was drawers for our clothes!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends