“You need a day just to relax here, didn't want to leave”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Kazbek

Hotel Kazbek
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Dubrovnik
San Francisco
“You need a day just to relax here, didn't want to leave”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

One of the top places we have stayed in our travels, and not sure if I can rave enough about it. To note, it is outside the old city, but that was fine with us. We liked the more peaceful atmosphere and it was an easy bus ride.

When you hear the story of the place and the owner, you will be even more impressed. It was so pain stakingly remodeled, with every detail taken into account that you know it was definitely more a work of love then a business.

They have the finest staff of almost anywhere, both the lobby and restaurant staff. We stayed three nights, but would have loved to have stayed four just to spend a whole day at the hotel. The pool is inviting, the restaurant with the cave atmosphere is not only visualy delightful, but the cuisine is worth a visit even if you are not staying there.

We had a room with the view of the pool. There are not rooms with harbor views, but it really is ok. It's one of those rare places that it is actually even nicer than the website. We enjoyed a night drink on their roof top which has a view of the harbor.

The breakfast...a class of its own. We had such a wonderful selection, and then, they offer to make you anything you want. It's all personal, table service.

We loved Croatia, and thought it would be a once in a life time trip, but we will go back, and definitely, we plan to come back to the Hotel Kazbek. I regret I didn't make the time to send a personal note to the owner on how wonderful his team is there and how much we enjoyed his hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel has so many great spaces, that it is the one time, the room location was less important to...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
21 Thank ViaggiatoreSF
PMiloglav, Director of Sales at Hotel Kazbek, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Dear ViaggiatoreSF,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of your stay at the Kazbek hotel in May 2011 and for being so gracious to share it with all the Tripadvisor users.

I can’t tell you how much we all love receiving such amazing reviews about our guests experiences when they stay with us, it really makes us all very proud of what we do.
We can’t wait to welcome you back…

Warm regards,

Sales and Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 29 October 2011

This is the first time that I provided feedback on the web. Most of the time I really don't bother.
My recent stay at Kazbek, however, was so pleasant that I felt it almost my responsibility to share it with the rest of the world.
Wonderfull location, building beautifully restored...once of these unique experiences where thre reality matches the marketing/website pictures.
Moreover, the friendly and helping staff provided the cherry on the cake.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
11 Thank pieter d
PMiloglav, Director of Sales at Hotel Kazbek, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear pieter d,

You review made me very proud to be a member of the great Kazbek team.
Thank you so much for posting it.

We look forward to welcoming you back some day!

Kind regards,

Kyiv
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,022 helpful votes
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Looking for accommodation in Dubrovnik, we wanted a place outside the Old Town (we had a car), very comfortable (stayed between two busy driving days) and quiet (love boutique hotels). Kazbek seemed to fit perfectly.

BOOKING

But for our last-minute trip we succeeded to book the only remaining room (Deluxe) for no more than 1 night; the hotel was fully booked. Many other places we researched didn’t allow short-time (i.e. 1-2 nights) stay at all.

Booked directly through the hotel’s web-site and were pleasantly surprised by the special offer of 40% discount; good deal.

LOCATION

If you look for the closest possible stay to the sights and/or the beaches of Dubrovnik, Kazbek is not your top choice. The Old Town is in about 10-15 min drive away (depending on traffic). And the waterfront of the hotel is a no-swimmable small harbour with moored yachts and boats.

Kazbek is situated on the narrow one-way street. We overshot it upon arrival and, being followed by a public bus, couldn’t back up. Walked back to ask where their parking was, and a hotel’s staff member kindly offered his services to drive our car back to the hotel around the quarter of one-way streets. It was much appreciated after the long day of driving.

PARKING

For such a small hotel, there were amazingly many parking options in Kazbek, from an open air large lot in front of the hotel across the street to a private garage by its right wing. Our car was given a space in the outdoor covered garage. It was wonderful to have it not heated by the sun before the long driving next day. Parking is free of charge.

Willing to explore Dubrovnik with no need to rush back, we checked out early. Wanted to go by taxi, and were once again pleased to learn that Kazbek allows their guests’ cars to stay at their parking up to three days after check out, at no fee; must be excellent for the islands trips.

ROOM PLUS BATHROOM OF MY DREAM

Can’t tell what exactly made the room look cosy and welcoming – at first sight, it seemed to be a typically decent hotel room. But it was the room we were hesitant to leave. It appeared larger than expected based on reviews and pictures, and consisted of the room, small wardrobe room and huge bathroom. Can’t think about a single amenity I normally use that was missing there.

Also, Kazbek was one of the two out of six hotels we stayed in Croatia that offered Wi-Fi in the rooms, and it was free, and with decent speed.

The bathroom was truly the one of my dream! Very spacious (rather long than wide), it was divided into the bath and the shower areas, with ample space around the sink and a mirror wall. Impeccably clean.

Large king-size bed of a proper hardness promised perfect sleep. Sadly it wasn’t; for two reasons.

There were several windows at two opposite walls of the room, one facing the hotel courtyard and entrance and the harbour behind it, and another turned to the pool area and the city. We arrived on a very windy day, and the shutters and window frames were clattering loud all night.

ROOM SERVICE: BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ORDER!

Another reason was the food poisoning my travel partner got that evening. We suspect the anchovy’s salad that we ordered for dinner through the room service. We spent all day on the road and ate nothing else that could cause any stomach troubles. My partner being a doctor, we didn’t call for emergency, but the night turned into a nightmare.

Not a seafood lover, I was luckier – everything I had for dinner was good.

Room service wasn’t too fast, and the staff accepting the order didn’t speak confident English.

SWIMMING POOL

There are no open hours for the swimming pool, and I was glad I could go there later at night upon arrival for a swim before dinner.

The swimming pool is rather small (you can’t expect anything large in a boutique hotel, anyway). And it was not heated. On the windy October night the water was very chilly. No wonder there was nobody by (let alone in) the pool, and I enjoyed a refreshing swim in privacy.

BREAKFAST

My partner was still suffering from poisoning, so I went for breakfast alone and was the only guest in the restaurant that early in the morning. It was still very windy, but not cold, and the breakfast was served outdoors, in the hotel courtyard.

I cannot say I found the way the breakfast was arranged very comfortable. I join those who prefer to see what they can have rather than being asked what they would want. If I fancied borshch or pyrogy, any chances I would get them?

But everything eventually served was fresh and delicious. Espresso deserves a special mention as really good and strong. Service was fast, but non-intrusive.

STAFF AND SERVICE

The only minor issue that we noticed was lack of porters. Once I had to carry the bag taken later out of the car myself as there was no one around, the other time the most enthusiastic lady – front desk manager – gave us a hand.

Otherwise service in Kazbek was the best out of all hotels we dealt with in Croatia, and very personalised. And I can’t praise enough both front desk managers that were on duty during our stay.

RECOMMENDED?

For the nearly sleepless night that we had I was inclined to give no more than an average rating. But fairly, despite this and few other minor issues (fully compensated by the top notch customer service), the hotel was really good.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
17 Thank Cora_v
PMiloglav, Director of Sales at Hotel Kazbek, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Dear Cora_v,

Thank you very much for your very nice review and for mentioning so many positive details about your recent stay at our Kazbek hotel.

Although the title of your review is a bit shocking we are actually very proud that you as an extensive traveler and review writer found our hotel really good with excellent customer service.

We are however very upset about your statement regarding the food poisoning and knowing how sensitive this subject is, we have an obligation to give our side of the story.
Namely our hotel implemented Hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) and is used in the food industry to identify potential food safety hazards, so that key actions can be taken to reduce or eliminate the risk of the hazards being realized. Although we are taking the actions to minimize food poisoning, there is always a minor chance that it happened in our Kazbek hotel, but honestly neither you nor we can say that with 100% accuracy. Furthermore we had anchovy salad ordered from other guests the same night and we served it as well as a complimentary starter in our restaurant those days and nobody reported any similar problem.
In any case we are very sorry and we deeply apologize for all the troubles your travel partner and you went through due to stomach problems and we hope that your stay with us will remain in a good memory.
Thank you and all the best.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Kazbek for three nights and absolutely loved it. The hotel is small, set in an old house or castle (not sure which) and it is located right on the inner harbour. Although this might not be as popular as a hotel near the Old Town, we thought the location was perfect. It is a very pretty walk to and from the hotel, and the view of the harbour is picturesque. And there is a bus that goes right by if you decide not to walk.
The hotel has a gorgeous pool out the back if you need to relax, and we enjoyed one afternoon there. I wished I'd had more time to spend there!
The rooms are tastefully furnished and we found them very quiet. We enjoyed the extra touches the hotel provided such as the fruit, the free internet and the chocolates. The amenities in the bathroom smelled really good. And the housekeeping was very prompt in making up our room in the morning.
Meals in the hotel courtyard were lovely. The food was good and the service was very attentive.
We found that it was the staff at this hotel that really set it apart though. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted personally and made to feel really welcome. They were very helpful and friendly. A real pleasure!
I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and would definitely recommend it to others.

5 Thank onewing604
Dear onewing604,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you consider us as an excellent choice in Dubrovnik.
We specially appreciate your kind words towards our staff.
It is great to know that you will recommend us to others and I sincerely look forward to seeing you back to Kazbek very soon.

Best wishes,

Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 4 October 2011

For the price, this was a very good deal, and a very memorable experience. My only complaints were 1) on a windy night there was a faint rattling sound from the shutters and 2) a smell of mildew in the hallways on the upper floor (but not in the room).

The room was very tastefully and elegantly adorned. The A/C and bathroom looked to be almost new. The complimentary bathrobes were a little on the thin side, but to be fair, no one is going to be overly chilly in Dubrovnik during tourist season.

Some other things are worth mentioning. While this almost-oceanside (separated only by the street) hacienda-styled hotel is gorgeous, and sits in an attractive port area (a huge cruise ship was moored across the inlet during my stay), there’s no view of the Dubrovnik city fortress. That is actually a 10 minute cab ride (10-15 USD) away. However, I’m guessing that a hotel of the same quality located just outside the fortress would cost well more than twice as much, so I think Kazbek is a reasonable trade-off. Also, even though there is only one floor above ground level, some stair navigation seems unavoidable, so that this hotel might not be the best option for those on crutches or in wheelchairs.

Also, there are some pleasant family-style beaches about a 15 minutes walk from the hotel. Now, I realize that if you are the kind of philistine who wastes precious time in Dubrovnik by sunbathing, you really shouldn’t have bothered going there in the first place. However, assuming you do drag your knuckles off to said beaches, you will be leaving more room inside the city walls and other such sites for everyone else, so such information is well worth passing on. I suppose you might also consider just locking yourself in your room and watching reruns all day, to spare yourself the skin cancer, but that’s up to you.

Back to the hotel itself: what really sets this place apart is the warm and professional staff – for example, the complimentary chocolates and check-up request on the first night, and the delicious made-to-order complimentary breakfast (which I’m guessing is probably a buffet style during peak season). Even by Croatian standards, the staff were exceptionally friendly and cooperative -- really delightful.

As long as one is aware of the distance between the hotel and the city walls, I would favorably recommend Kazbek to anyone.

5 Thank auslanderh
PMiloglav, Director of Sales at Hotel Kazbek, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Dear auslanderh,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about us and share your thoughts with other Tripadvisor members and followers.
I am truly delighted to know that your stay with us was a memorable experience.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

With warmest regards and best wishes,

Pave Miloglav,
UK
Reviewed 25 September 2011

This is an attractive, small boutique-style hotel, created from what was formerly an aristocratic home by the waterside in the Lapad region of Dubrovnik (about 3 km from the old town). The staff are very pleasant, helpful and of course get to know you quickly because of the small size of the hotel. The majority of the rooms are described as "superior" but this actually means "standard" and they are rather small - a couple of metres longer than the bed and about a metre of spare space on either side of it. Ditto the bathroom. The lighting and aircon controls in the room are maddening - complicated electronic switches and the instructions for the aircon in the in-room book are for a different system. We could not turn off the thing (which is very noisy) even though the control said "OFF".

The service, and a number of aspects of the hotel, are 4 star rather than 5. For example, the housemaid removed used glasses and teacups but did not replace them; the complimentary water and fruit are not replaced daily (though we were eventually given some more on request after some discussion as to whether it'd be free or not). However, the hotel delighted my wife by recognizing her birthday (we'd not mentioned it to them) and leaving a present in the room.

Breakfast is not a buffet; you must ask for what you require and it's brought to the table. The food was good, but I'd prefer to see what I'm being offered. One of the great delights of a 5 star hotel is, for me, a wide-ranging, high-quality buffet.

Overall, it's quite a nice place but much more of a 4 star hotel than a 5 star establishment. Given that, it's very highly over-priced in my view hence the low score on that count.

7 Thank UkMarlin
PMiloglav, Director of Sales at Hotel Kazbek, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Dear UkMarlin,

Many thanks for your review. While 'average' is not something, we very much appreciate both positive and negative comments from our clients and take them seriously.
We were very pleased to read that you found our hotel attractive and our staff pleasant.
We are however very sorry to hear that you consider us as a 4 star rather than a 5 star establishment.
All of our rooms are actually pretty much spacious (the smallest one is 25 sqm), uniquely decorated with so many great conveniences of modern life, including the smart room system, so we felt a bit sad and disappointed after reading your comments.
We very much apologize regarding the glasses and cups that were not replaced and for the misunderstanding regarding the replacement of the water and fruit. We actually offer it complimentary on arrival, but are happy to replace it on request and without charge. I am very sorry there had to be some discussions about it with our front desk. I was upset to hear it and I would like to assure you that this is not reflective of our usual high standards.
It is so great to hear that your wife was delighted with our small present for her birthday. Once again best wishes for a Happy Birthday from all of us.
Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your views on Tripadvisor. We sincerely hope you will give us another chance so that we can prove that we can be much better than "average".

Best regards,

Leicestershire
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We spent a week at the Kazbek and were delighted with the hotel. It is well situated and well-appointed, with attentive staff and an excellent menu. The small number of rooms means that the pool is never crowded, the view from the terrace is delightful, and the service second to none. I could not fault breakfasts or evening meals, although my wife, as a veggie, found her options a bit restricted. The only thing I missed was a decent cup of tea, but where can you get that south of Dover?

4 Thank Tiresias
PMiloglav, Director of Sales at Hotel Kazbek, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Dear Tiresias,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review and including so many great details!
It's especially nice to know you liked our food and for the vegetarian offer, we will definitely add some more choice to our menu - thank you for mentioning this.
And for the tea, I can only apologize and promise to have a wider choice of tea flavors in our offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime in the near future.

Kind regards,