“Can't keep away!”
Review of Hotel Kazbek

Hotel Kazbek
Ranked #1 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 31 July 2013

6th to 13th July was my fourth visit and my daughter's second - just can't keep away!

Everything was spot on as usual. It was great to be greeted like old friends, by the same lovely staff as on the previous 3 occasions, and the service, food, and attention to detail was, as usual, second to no other hotel I have stayed in!

It makes me sad to read the negative review posted on the 11th of July, and I feel I have to speak up for the Kazbek team. I can honestly say that EVERY member of staff at the Kazbek is not only competent, respectful and attentive, but actually bend over backwards to be friendly and helpful, no matter how hot and tired they are themselves, and no matter how demanding or rude their guests. As for the food, the Kazbek restaurant is superb! Never in four stays have I had cause to complain. The freshness, quality and creativeness of the menus, and the readiness of the catering team to accommodate dietary intolerances is one of the reasons I would recommend this hotel to anyone with an appreciation of the good things in life!

I have nothing to add to all the positive comments left by happy guests, except to say thank you to everyone and...

... we'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Audrey59Cumbria
PMiloglav, Director of Sales at Hotel Kazbek, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Audrey59Cumbria,

Wow, what a wonderful review! I don't think I can even respond properly except to say THANK YOU for being our lovely and loyal guest.

Can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I spent two nights at Hotel Kazbek at the end of a week long trip which started in Mostar, took in Sarajevo and ended in Dubrovnik. I couldn't have been more happy or relieved that my "5 star" hotel didn't need the quotation marks after all. I'd booked Kazbek because, after joyfully hostelling it with pals in Bosnia, I wanted a bit of luxury and security (since I'd finish the journey alone), a place I could truly relax, before I had to return to work. Kazbek seemed the perfect choice for me. When booking, I did balk at the price for a two night stay; on arrival, I thought the price was more than reasonable.
As others have already commented, the hotel is very quiet and favoured by couples. If you're a lone traveller looking to meet other people, I'm not sure this hotel is for you despite it being lovely; however, if like me, you want some time to read, lounge, relax - happy in your own company, Kazbek is a good choice for you. On arrival, the place was so quiet, it felt like I had my own villa but with the perks of a hotel.
My room was finished to perfection and the bathroom was in immaculate condition. The turndown service is a lovely touch, as are the welcome biscuits. The air conditioning is loud - as others have commented - but it didn't bother me too much.
The pool and sun lounge area is, for me, the hotel's selling point. (Beach is not an option in the area.) Plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas, a shaded table area for a pool side lunch. Bells are placed by each lounger so bathers can call an attendant for drinks or food. You do have to have to call a few times before an attendant arrives; however, it is a small point. Good things come to those who wait, after all.
The breakfast was lovely. I wish the milk had been chilled but on the second day I asked mine to come with a couple of ice cubes which resolved the issue. Breakfast is fully waitered and outside. There was a bit of a wasp problem when I was there so I took my breakfast inside - a welcome retreat from the heat.
I walked to the Old Town one evening - it took me 30-40 minutes at a comfortable pace and the views were track-stopping. You can also take the number 6 bus, which is easy and direct. You pick it up just behind the hotel and it drops you home just in front of it. (You're not allowed ice cream on the bus; fortunately they're regular so you can finish your scoops and catch the next one.)
If you don't like big hotels, you do enjoy peace, and relish a day or two by the pool sipping daiquiris, Kazbek's the place for you. As I texted my friends, 'I'm sure Dubrovnik is lovely but I'm not convinced it's worth leaving Hotel Kazbek for.'

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank sanchezg4

Dear sanchezg4,

Thank you so much for your glowing review - I loved reading every minute of it.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return soon for another great stay.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed three nights at the Kazbek. Staff are very friendly and welcoming. We liked the clean and quiet pool area a lot. The hotel is located out of the old town, which is a real pleasure during the high season, when all the huge cruise ships stop and their hordes flush into Dubrovnik. Breakfast is a pleasure. We felt that the aircon in our room was very noisy (which meant we turned it off at night and the room was very warm) and we were able to hear the other guest come home at night. Overall we were happy with our stay.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Aztlan24,

Thank you so much for your kind review.
I am delighted that you had a good stay overall and we do apologize if you felt that our aircon was noisy.
Thank you again and we hope we will see you again in the future!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 20 July 2013

First of all, I hate big, commercial hotels that have no personality in them, and wherever possible, I try to stay at smaller, boutiquey hotels. This one was no exception. It's a former noble's summer retreat, and is very classy. The people at the main desk all spoke great English, and were very helpful in answering whatever questions we had. Our room, number 11, was right across from the elevator and right over the main lobby, so I had fears that it was going to be noisy. I couldn't have been more wrong! It was very quiet, and I slept like a rock! The hotel is right across the harbor from where all the ships come in (we used it to stay the night before our cruise on the Adriatic Pearl), and so is just a short cab ride to that departure point. Also, while it looks far away from the old city of Dubrovnik, it's really just a short cab ride (10 minutes maybe?) for about 65 Kuna, or almost $11. You could probably walk it, but it was hot, and it's a little hilly, so why do that? Also, the lady at the hotel told us that we could take the bus back (the number 6, right in front of the Pile Gate), so while it was a little crowded, it wasn't too bad and was kind of a fun adventure.

The hotel's food was very good (we had the complimentary breakfast), and you basically tell them what you want off of a very big menu and they bring it!

They do a lot of little things that bump them up to the top, like umbrellas by the door if you want to use one, or chocolates on the pillow or things like that.

Room Tip: You can take the bus back (the number 6, right in front of the Pile Gate) from the old city if you...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maybesomeone
PMiloglav, Director of Sales at Hotel Kazbek, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear maybesomeone,

We are so happy that you chose to stay at Kazbek and thank you for sharing your positive experience with Tripadvisor users. We all absolutely loved your comments and would really love to welcome you back!

Reviewed 19 July 2013

This hotel is lovely and the service is very cheerful and cooperative. The room was certainly adequate. The meals were excellent - tasty, well-presented and bounteous. There was also free parking although it sometimes is full. We were delighted with this choice. The only disappointment is that it is a good distance away from the Old City. While taxi service is available we chose to walk and it was a bit longer and more arduous than we anticipated, much being uphill on a day where it was almost 100 degrees farenheit. Were I to return to Dubrovnik I would surely consider staying at this hotel again.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marc F

Dear Marc F,

Thank you so much for such an excellent review about our Kazbek hotel. We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Right, it's not really pleasant to walk to the Old city on hot days and a better solution would be to take a short taxi or bus ride.

Thank you again and it is so wonderful to hear that you would consider staying at Kazbek if you return to Dubrovnik. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Based on the superb reviews, my husband and I decided to choose Kazbek during our stay in Dubrovnik.
What a vaist of money.
Check in was a twenty minutes torture, although we were the only arriving guests in the hotel at that moment. The young recepcionist was not familiar with his PC, did not know how to proceed with required actions on his computer. After twenty minutes of waiting, we told him to give us our room key and to finalize the procedure without us. He started to shout on us and the complete atmosphere was terrible.
Later, at dinner, we had to wait 15 minutes for somobody to come and offer something to drink or eat. The fish was overcooked and the shells were old and had a very bed smell.
The hotel has no beach of its own, although when booking, we were told there was a private hotel beach for the hotel guests. On the spot of the place when we complained about this, they told us it was a missunderstanding. Disgrace.
Everthing else was of the average quality. There are better hotels in Dubrovnik, so go somewhere else and enjoy this beautifull city.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charlotte Ebi O
PMiloglav, Director of Sales at Hotel Kazbek, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Dear Charlotte Ebi O,

Thank you for your review although it is not very good.
I am sorry your stay with us was a waste of money, but I believe we should also say our side of the story:
SHELLS: you mentioned they were old and had a bad smell, but we absolutely DON'T HAVE shells on our menu so there is no a chance you could order or eat them.
STAFF: our staff is our main asset and just like it is visible from other reviews, they are all very polite, professional and knowledgeable. We are all in the hospitality industry which highly depends on the human factor and some mistakes are possible, but we simply can not accept that any member of our staff shouted at our guests. Furthermore I personally spent hours and hours inspecting the surveillance cameras from our reception and I couldn't detect that any of check ins lasted as long as you mentioned and it also didn't show any unnatural gestures of our colleagues at the reception during communication with our guests.
BEACH: I guarantee that none of us ever said that we have a private beach because it is not in our interest to spread around the misleading information.

We thank you again for your opinion and we are very sorry about your dissatisfaction with your stay at the Kazbek hotel.

Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Every thing was perfect, the location just outside the busy part of town, the service, the rooms, the food. Perfectly managed and wish we could stay longer. Great pool and lounge area and really nice people. Hope we can return one day.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank PMRIZZO
PMiloglav, Director of Sales at Hotel Kazbek, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear PMRIZZO,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review. You have made us all very proud to be the members of the wonderful Kazbek team.
We do hope to see you again soon.