“Infestation”
Review of Hostel & Rooms Ana

Hostel & Rooms Ana
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Unfortunately, my daughter was badly bitten by bedbugs during our stay. Whilst this is regrettable (to say the least) we are disappointed by the Hostel's attitude. They firstly said they would refund if I sent them my account details; but a month later I have still not received anything. Though they responded to a couple of my emails they have failed to deal with my concerns, and referred instead to my "uncomfortable" stay with them! Also, we did not stay in the hostel itself but in rooms in the old town. Sleep was interrupted by jazz playing at a nearby bar and in the early morning carts travelling on the cobbled stones disrupted our sleep. Whilst Dubrovnik is a wonderful town and well worth visiting, I would definitely not stay again in any property owned or managed by this hostel.

Room Tip: Be wary about any accommodation in the old town that adjoins one of the main streets. There are many...
Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Chris1962_12

Reviewed 11 October 2012

I slept in the Central House in Kovacka 4 on the third floor. The room was nice, clean and spacy. That was 10 meters from the main street, so position is excellent to enjoy in the beautifull city. Ana was really friendly, she helped us everything, told us where is best to eat, go out and where to buy, all with reasonoble prices. I really enjoyed my stay in Dubrovnik, and I will come again fore sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ivana A
Reviewed 10 October 2012

The accommodations were excellent value for money and the location could not be better. It was under 2 minutes from the main gate into old town and less than 5 minutes from the main square. The host was very friendly and knowledgeable. We were a family of 4 travelling with a 3 year-old and an infant. Unfortunately at the time we were there they did not have a baby cot available or I would have rated it 5 out 5. However the bed was big enough for the baby to sleep with my husband and I and my son was given his own room! We also had a private bath and a kitchenette. We highly recommend these accommodations and would not hesitate to stay their again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I met Anna but I worked more directly with here sister Magdalena. I had no clue about Dubrovnik but she helped me navigate my entire stay. The prices were extremely reasonable for the experience I had. Magdalena always had my best interests at heart. I know this because in the process I did my own research. These are some of the things i can think of to mention very clean rooms, Clean sheets, wifi, laundry, site seeing. Magdalena even helped me figure out my journey when I left to Prague. I highly recommend both Ana and her sister. They work together as a team and together helped me have the best experience in Croatia.

Room Tip: I chose Ana randomly but after talking to other travelers about their experiences. I know my choice...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Donnamomana
Reviewed 9 September 2012

No discussion: my room was ok.
Got problems with my booking, but that was not the lady's fault.
Ana, I mean the hostel and the lady, not always easy to find. It took a while after I rang the bell before the door was opened and it took much longer before the lady arrived.
I got a lot of help which I already got from others: Ana gave me a map(I already got one from the tourist office) and so on...
I don't agree with the proprietor's system that tourists are often given a room in another building at another place in the old town, than where the booked for.
Indeed not help at check-out: I just could go and leave the key on the table....
And honestly: my old leg suffered a lot: 51(fifty-one)steps up to the room and 51 down, huhu, ( times a day....
Not really cheap neither. My big question is: is a lodge within the old city walls necessary? The old walled city is only 385 meters in length and prices are much cheaper...
Just think about it...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank 2jerome
Reviewed 28 August 2012

The owner of this hostel violently confronted myself and several other people with a half size baseball bat (rounders bat size) and took money from us. I can't recommend the hostel.

I wouldn't normally bother to write a review of a hostel, if it was bad I would simply put it down to one experience and laugh about it. This however was so bad I have to write something.

We had a twin room booked for 2 nights, when we got to the hostel the room and beds were nothing like any of the pictures on the website, I considered it to be an overpriced rip-off that we could live with for 2 nights, my friend who booked it however thought we should bring our issue up with the owners out of principle. She spoke with them and just stated the bedroom and beds were substandard - the single bed was a 30 year old camp stretcher, when you lay on it half your body sat on a pile of springs on the ground, the room was sloping at such an angle it would also be difficult to stay in the bed, and the price of the room, judging on other accommodation was overpriced we thought. There also was no bathroom in room, the bathroom was right outside the owners door which we were next to (I don't know if it was shared). The lady we spoke to told us "I wont drop the price or give you another room, thats what we get for our rooms, if you don't like it I don't want you here please go". The conversation was slightly more protracted than this, but those were her exact words. So we left.

We walked back to the gate and found some locals on the corner who had a friend with an apartment, their friend came and collected us and took us to view it, it was like a palace compared to Hostel Ana, and significantly cheaper. While we were discussing the details the owner received a call from her friends back on the corner, they were distressed, stating that some very aggressive people were there demanding we come back as we had left without paying or stole money from them. We figured it was some misunderstanding and returned to the corner apprehensively.

At this stage the people on the corner looked quite worried and pointed down the street, the husband from Hostel Ana was quickly approaching, the only way I can describe him is Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. He was pale and clammy, eyes bulging and red, he was visibly insane with rage and had something tucked into his waist. The locals around us actually signalled for us to put up our fists, they believed he was going to walk right up and start knocking people over, but in some ways it was even worse than that. He came right up in our faces and started shouting, accusing us of stealing from him, staying in his hotel and running away without paying. He was actually shouting "I washed your towels, I washed your sheets, you stole from me". We'd only arrived in Dubrovnik 2hrs before and had been told to leave when we questioned the room, but there was no reasoning with him - he was like an out of control drunken street thug. He was very aggressive and told us he would have 10 men there with one phone call to 'deal with us'. He told us he was ex Army, he showed us his ID and told us we weren't safe in Dubrovnik any more, that he had family all over the town, that we owed him money and he demanded it. My friend who booked the hostel was hysterical and in tears, she paid him the amount he was asking for. As he walked away he pulled from his waist the bat and waved it menacingly, once again stating he had people all over town and would be watching us. I can't adequately convey how aggressive he was. His hostel is adorned with military portraits and photos of himself holding large guns which really added an element of authenticity to his personality.

This episode ruined our stay in Dubrovnik.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
24  Thank bowlday
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My friends and I stayed in Ana's apartments and it was the best time! The location was fantastic, in the heart of Dubrovnik. Ana helped us by telling us where to go, where to eat, what to see. The apartment was very clean and well equipped. We felt as if we were really living in Dubrovnik! I highly recommend these apartments!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends