“Almost perfect, but not quite”

Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I rate this hotel a four out of five. It was almost a five out of five but they let us down a little bit. I will start with the bad part while I have your attention and then go on to list the many high-quality elements.

We booked a double sea view room with the hotel and when we arrived we were given a lovely room (4072) which had a gorgeous view and an absolutely huge double bed. We were delighted. However, that evening we were not so delighted when we could not get any sleep. The room we were placed in was directly above the hotel reception area, foyer and lobby bar and boy oh boy was it a noisy place to be. On our first night, there was a piano playing in the bar and eventually I had to ring reception at 10 past midnight to see when it would stop. The man on reception was very pleasant and he said it would stop immediately. We had been awake and travelling since 4am and were very much looking forward to a good sleep on our first night. Even after the piano stopped it was not to be. It has been said many times here before that the hotel is a business orientated hotel, catering for conferences. There is a lot of coming and going at all hours and because of where room 4072 is situated it soon became clear we were going to get disturbed continually. At 1.15am the noise in the hotel foyer with large groups of conference attendees chatting and laughing was just too much for us to bear and I had to get dressed and go to reception to complain. The man on reception was friendly and he said he could not move us that night but that they would see to it for us in the morning. We did end up getting a little bit of sleep that night, but we were awake for almost 24 hours before we go the chance to settle. It was not a good start to our trip.

The next morning after breakfast we went to reception to see if they had another room for us and they said they would have one in the afternoon. When we went back in the afternoon they had a room for us and we had to pack all of our things again and move rooms, with no offer of any help. When we did move room it was to room 2072. Unfortunately this was 2 floors down on the original and the view was not as good and the balcony was about half the size. I would have been happy enough with the view and balcony if I could get sleep but what I was most annoyed about was that it was a twin room. I went straight back to reception to say I had booked a double room but the particular fellow I was dealing with (Toni as far as I remember) said that it was a twin or nothing. He didn’t even offer to put us into a double when one would become available. I was really annoyed and somewhat upset about this. The twin beds were nowhere near as big as the double we had in 4072, and there was a 2 inch gap between the beds which could not have been pushed any closer together. Simply not good for a young married couple. The whole saga spoiled the first 2 days of our trip.

I have to say apart from the problems outlined above the hotel for us had no other faults and I really was most impressed by all of it. Our first impressions of the hotel were great. It is new, stylish, modern, contemporary and spotlessly clean everywhere. It is a sophisticated hotel and the clientele were quiet and respectful. I really think it could well be higher up the trip advisor list than number 12. We saw quite a few hotels in the area while we were out and about and none appeared to as impressive as this one.

The rooms were large and bright, with views across to the Elafiti Islands. The sunsets to be observed from the room were simply stunning. The rooms were very well equipped with lots of luxuries such as flat screen TV with plenty of channel choice, ironing board and iron, tea/coffee making, shower and bath, glasses to drink from and a fridge/mini-bar. The rooms were cosy and comfortable and I felt very much at home here. Room 2072 was also reasonably quiet and we did eventually sleep well in the somewhat comfortable twin beds. The room was very well serviced by 2 lovely maids who never disturbed us once throughout the trip.

We originally booked B&B but we upgraded to half board and we were just so glad that we did. I thought breakfast was good, with plenty of choice but dinner was even better. The quality of the food was spectacular, fresh fruit every day, beautiful salads, fresh vegetables and good quality meats and fish. It was delicious every single time we ate in it and it was amongst the best hotel food we have ever experienced. The staff in the restaurant were second to none. They made us feel so welcome and they were so friendly. They were also extremely efficient in their work and the place ticks along like clockwork. I was so impressed. The terrace for eating outdoors is beautiful, with beautiful sunsets over the ocean. It was a magical place to eat every evening and sometimes there was a traditional Croatian band playing live in the background. The wines on offer were good value and delicious too.

The outdoor pool at the hotel is a haven. The views from the sun loungers over the mountains and ocean are beautiful. It was quiet by the pool – there were no rowdy children or families. There were always plenty of sun beds no matter what time of the day. The sun loungers were really comfortable and they had a little panel above the head area so you could cover your head and read a book without the sun blinding you which was clever. There was also 1 umbrella on offer for every 2 beds, so no fighting for cover from the midday sun. The indoor pool was situated right beside the outdoor pool which was a great idea. If the sun is too hot you can slope indoors and take a break, on a lounger beside the indoor pool. There is a towel service here as well which is excellent so don’t worry about packing your own beach towel. The pool bar had a good choice of snacks and drinks and again the staff were excellent. The pool was spotless and it was a lovely depth for swimming. There were speakers by the pool and there was music played each day but it was decent music at a nice level for listening to in the background. There was no poolside entertainment which was a big positive for us. We were able to sunbathe all day long with no one to hassle us.

The beach is about 10 minutes away at the President hotel. Go straight through the President hotel foyer and take the lift from floor 7 down to the beach. The beach was very busy during our stay and although we are beach people on this particular occasion we preferred the atmosphere by the pool. The sea was quite choppy and not ideal for swimming in, but it was crystal clear. There is a beach bar by the beach offering lots of choice of food and drinks. The beach is shingle so make sure to take good beach shoes for getting in and out of the sea. There is also a towel service down there. The beach is kept really clean and the sun beds and brollies are free to use by hotel guests’. There are toilets in the beach bar. The scenery is stunning by the beach and there are plenty of ships going by.

There is not a huge amount to do in the immediate surrounding area which suited us beautifully but it might not suit everyone. The hotel is situated on the Babin Kuk Peninsula which is reasonably underdeveloped as yet. There are a smattering of Valamar Hotels all only a few hundred metres apart. They are all joined by a lovely stone pathway which gives a feel of a small village. The facilities of any of these other hotels can be utilized while staying at the Valamar Lacroma Resort. There is a restaurant directly behind the hotel called the Komin and a little mall area behind the hotel and to the right for a few hundred metres which has bars, shops and restaurants. There are lots of roads and paths to walk around the Peninsula if you fancy exploring. On the road to the Lapad beach resort, there is another restaurant which is situated right down by the sea and has fantastic views over the ocean. It takes about 20-30 minutes to walk from the hotel to the Lapad Beach Resort which is a lovely pedestrian promenade with bars and restaurants leading directly to Lapad beach. Gruz Harbour is also within walking distance coming directly out the front of the hotel, up the little hill and a 20-30 minute walk to the left, down the large hill will take you towards the harbour which is well worth a visit and has plenty to see and do. Trips to the Islands can be purchased at the harbour and at Lapad Beach resort for about half the price of those offered by the companies in the hotel.

There is a bus stop in front of the hotel and a bus stop behind the hotel. The buses run every 10-15 minutes and a journey to Pile Gate @ Old Town takes about 15 minutes and costs 12 Kuna per single journey per person on the bus. At Pile Gate a ticket for the return journey can be purchased for 10 Kuna per person from the Kiosk on the street. The buses can get a little crowded, but they are much cheaper than taxis.

Croatia is a stunning holiday destination, with mountains, lush greenery, turquoise waters and plenty to see and do. It is an unspoilt gem without concrete hotels everywhere and was a safe, relaxing place to holiday. Croatian people are warm and friendly and welcoming.

Had it not been for the problem with the noisy room and twin beds situation this would literally have been the perfect hotel break for us. Thanks so much Valamar Lacroma Resort, but you need to do just a little better next time.

Room Tip: Avoid room 4072 if you like to sleep well @ night
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TAmember13
ivankarlic, General Manager at Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Dear Madam,
Firstly, our sincere thanks on your kind words regarding services and facilities in our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed all of them and that your stay with us was comfortable and enjoyable.
We are also sincerely sorry about your experience with noise below your room and having to change your accommodation during your stay with us.
Our Receptionist Toni is an experienced member of staff and he should have provided you with more accurate information regarding the accommodation situation in the hotel during your stay. I am sure that the lack of attentiveness on his behalf was more due to possible language barrier and the fact that at the time the hotel was so full and no double bedded rooms were available, rather than the lack of his willingness to assist you.
Should you decide to come and stay with us again, we would be thrilled to have an opportunity to greet you again and make sure your stay is 100% enjoyable.
Ivan J. Karlić

There are newer reviews for Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik

Reviewed 1 July 2011

Summary:
Very beautiful and modern hotel 10 minutes drive from old Dubrovnik walls. Excelent buffet and indoor/outdoor pools, but over-fluffy matresses and pillows didn't favour a good night sleep. I would try somewhere else, next time.

Detailed experience:
Site - very modern and beatiful, spacious grounds and an enjoyable garden. Large indoor and outdoor pools;
F&B - Excellent buffet (variety and quality) and the desserts were something unusually good (4 tables of dessert buffet, most of them very tasty);
Service - Nice and helpful staff;
Rooms - Spacious and stylish, but... For me, sleep quality is very important and this room didn't provide. Although very quiet and climatized, the negative points are related with the matress and the pillows (too soft - I woke up before my alarm due to back pain). In addition, the "duvet trend" is something that I oppose completely. No sheets, no blankets, only the duvet... Either you sweat with it, either you feel cold without it. I ended up taking the darned duvet out of its cover and using the cover as a sheet. Plus, the bathroom had no bidet. I am aware this is something which is regarded as obsolet for some people/cultures, but not for mine!

Thus, If I ever go back to Dubrovnik, I would be inclined to try other places to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,
Many thanks on your complements regarding our hotel facilities. We are very sorry your sleep experience was not as enjoyable particularly in the view that we offer pillow menu option to your guests free of charge in case they find our feather pillows too soft.
We hope that this inconvenience did not prevent you from enjoying your stay with us and we would be glad to greet you sometime again in future. Should you decide to put your trust in us again, we would make sure your bedding is prepared as per your requirements.
Ivan J. Karlić

Reviewed 22 June 2011

We visited Dubrovnik in May 2011 and chose to stay in Valamar Lacroma Resort because of a business conference. The accomodations were wonderful and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The views of the ocean are spectacular! The hotel rooms are spacious and comfortable. There is an inexpensive public bus that makes frequent stops outside the hotel and provides quick transportation (10-15 minutes) to the old city. The beach is only a 10 minute walk from hotel. We recommend skipping the hotels near the old city and staying at the Valamar Lacroma Resort instead.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank NJ_traveller_oh

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking time to write of your experience @ Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik. We are verly pleased and proud of your comlemets and are looking forward to having an opprotunity of greeting you on your next visit to Dubrovnik.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed here 5 nights, and it was a great holiday and hotel. The hotel is fairly large, with a good sized pool indoors and out, there is also a gym, and a very nice relaxation/ spa area, with saunas, mist rooms, jacuzzis, massage rooms, and the 'Ice bucket' shower. ( I had a good a few times, most invigorating). The breakfast is very good, with plenty of selection, there was also an a la carte restaurant, which we didnt use, as we ate in the old town, which is about a 12-15minute bus ride away or in a great local restaurant. Buses run every 10 minutes or so, so its very handy and cheap. The room was very spacious with comfortable beds, and we found the hotel to be very quiet, we also had a nice private balcony area, with a sea view, which gave us some amazing sunsets. The staff at reception where very good and polite, as where the breakfast staff, the staff in the bars by the pool, where a little slow in taking orders and bringing the orders out, but other than that the hotel is a good place to stay, and very reasonalby priced. The beach is again around 12-15 minutes walk away, if you want a change of scenery, and there are some shops close by in a little mall/arcade in the Babin Kuk area and in here is a great little little Croatian restaurant called Konoba Pivnica Dubrava, if you sit out the back there is a massive grill/ oven where they cook meats and seafood on, it really is worth a visit and do try and sit out the back, I can recommend the local sausages and there was a chicken dish which was very good also, but my memory fails me for its name.. The hotel is good I believe we did go for a room upgrade to have the sea view and maybe reading some other reviews about noisy confrences this maybe a good bet, but we never had any problems with noise ourselves. Overall it was a very good hotel.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are worth it....
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jamo_The_Tank
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I arrived with my husband for a week's holiday, the hotel is excellent from the breakfast to the cleanliness of the building. Located outside Dubrovnik it is not a problem as the bus is easy to catch running every 10 mins.

Sadly for 7 nights we stayed at the hotel we did not get much sleep, this hotel takes conferences and for the duration of our stay TU representatives were arriving on a regular basis, approximately 4 coaches at any one time, not only did we have to put up with the noise from the disco until approximately 2.00am we had to listen to the loud speakers bellowing music out in reception during the day when they arrived and departed. For these reasons we would not recommend this hotel to anyone and would certainly not stay there again as we came home feeling more tired than when we had arrived there.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank staley7
ivankarlic, General Manager at Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2011

Dear guest, Thank you for choosing the Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik, it was a pleasure to have you staying with us. We are especially grateful for the time you have taken to give us feedback as we always take the thoughts and wishes of our guests very seriously. We are very happy to hear that you liked our breakfast and were satisfied with the cleanliness.

I was very concerned to hear about the unfortunate occurrences that you faced during your stay with us. Therefore, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. The event that took place during your stay is a one off event which takes place only once a year and every year in another city and country. You may rest assured that this matter has received my full attention and adequate measures have been taken in order to prevent such incidents from re-occurring in the future.

We hope that this unfortunate experience will not deter you from using our hotel in the future and we will be looking forward to welcoming you again. Ivan Karlić, General Manager

Reviewed 10 May 2011

I stayed at Lacroma for a conference in May 2001, but stayed on a few extra days for leisure. Let me say first that the conference facilities are good and it's certainly a beautiful spot for evening drinks receptions, pool-side meetings, etc.

The pools are good, as is the spa and gym. Easy access to the Old Town and an excellent breakfast buffet. Wi-Fi was touch and go in the room but good in public areas.

After my conference ended another, much larger one began. I had the misfortune of having a room (4114) overlooking the business centre. This conference had two discos - one on Saturday night and one on Sunday night. The music on Saturday night was not a problem as I was out myself until late and the party ended at midnight. However, on Sunday night another party started up, this time with much louder music. I am not exaggerating when I say that my windows and walls were literally rattling from the music and most especially from the bass. I called reception several times but was essentially told that this conference had the run of the place and there was nothing they could do. The party continued at full volume until 2am. Not ideal if you have to get up at 6am to catch a flight!

If you do stay at this hotel, I would recommend paying the extra money for an ocean-view room well away from any business centre activities. If they have a conference of 300+ people, they're really not going to put a priority on a few other guest complaints.

Room Tip: Stay away from the business centre!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Anna M
ivankarlic, General Manager at Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2011

Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to share your impressions of your stay at the Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik Hotel with us. We were particularly pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet, spa and conference facilities. This is indeed the main ingredients for a successful hospitality effort. We apologize and send our regrets for your experience during the last night of your time with us. You can rest assured that we will share your comments with our colleagues and we look forward to welcoming you again to our Hotel. Yours sincerely, Ivan Karlić, General Manager

Reviewed 17 November 2010

A one-night stay allowed me to appreciate
- very friendly staff
- excellent and plentiful food
- the great suitability of the hotel for conferences and tour group holidays

The weather was appalling (non-stop heavy rain) which prevented any enjoyment of the outdoor facilities.

Was Wi-Fi available in rooms? I regard this as essential in today's world.

Is there any chance of arranging more frequent bus services to the Old Town?

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank dbs087
ivankarlic, Manager at Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2011

Dear Sir,
Many thanks for your time and effort to complement our hotel services and we are very grateful you have found them all to your satisfaction.
We are pleased to inform you that we are working on the technical requirements to enable Free Internet access for our guests and hope that this issue will be solved if not for this coming season than certainly for the next.
As regards to the more frequent bus service, we have already approached the local bus company with our request, however this is highly dependent on the available business and as you can appreciate during winter the bus time table is adapted to the winter demand, whilst during the summer the busses run much more frequently.
Nevertheless we will keep on the pressure to maintain more frequent bus service at least until the end of the conference season.
Meanwhile we thank you for your custom and look forward to greeting you again in our hotel.
Ivan Karlic