“A special report on Langusto Fine Dining”

Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
London
“A special report on Langusto Fine Dining”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I decided to spend a few extra Kuna and try out the smart Langusto restaurant.

My package was half board and the main restaurant is a very large and somewhat noisy series of self service buffets with a huge variety of choices and one really can have as much as you can eat. The quality is pretty good too for mass produced food which might be feeding a several hundred people in an evening, but I wanted to see what the hotel’s a la carte service might manage.

The Langusto is on a separate floor above the main dining room. The indoor part of the restaurant with it’s lobster tanks was empty and there were just a few tables occupied outside on the moonlight terrace. The tables were well spaced and there was a very tranquil atmosphere outside with tasteful background music offering privacy for most conversations.

Service very languid, perfect for a date or long evening of conversations with friends, Less appropriate for single diners and I did feel a bit abandoned at times, despite there being two staff on duty but generally the terrace was entirely unattended except for when they were delivering or collecting dishes. It made it hard to just catch someone’s eye, but I guess none of us could have felt intruded upon or hurried!

After choosing from a suprisingly limited menu, I chose the set four course menu at 150 HRK I was brought a basket of home made breads: an olive bread and walnut bread served with a lemon butter. The were both very nice and the butter complemented each style well.

My appetizer was a trio of dishes: finely sliced fennel and anchovies, a single prawn on a bed of lettuce and something else I wasn’t too clear about. Lighting wasn’t great (candle light) and it wasn’t particularly distinctive.

The next course was described as a "Delicate Fish consommé" which I thought was perhaps a euphemism for under seasoned fish stock with julienne of fresh vegetables which had been cut far too long to comfortably eat and I didn’t feel inclined to try and take a knife and fork to my soup! This might be something the chef would like to consider in future.

The main course was a nice crispy sea bass fillet on a bed of spinach and squid (a bit tough). This dish was both rich and flavoursome but I could find no sign of the advertised accompanying capers.

Dessert: ricotta cheesecake had everything thrown artfully at it, a toffee sauce with highly acid blackberries, a fresh fig, a scattering of sultanas, a few blueberries in creme anglaise, the baked cheesecake was garnished with a mint leaf. Visually it looked impressive, but lacked cohesion and left one feeling a bit gaudy, and unimpressed. The flavours didn’t quite come together for me.

I thought the meal represented value for money and provided an interesting alternative to the main dining room, but one visit there was probably enough for me to go alon e.

My overall impression of the staff at the hotel is generally very high. Whilst it’s true some of the male waiters might have smiled a bit more, this is the Balkans after all and smiling isn’t central to the culture here as it is in other parts of the world. But leaving that aside “Your welcome" was the most commonly used English phrase, I heard virtually all the time. I got the distinct impression that the staff appreciated that we were on holiday and wanted you to have a good time, enjoy yourself and rate the hotel well on TripAdvisor! The Lacroma is currently 7th in the league of hotels on Tripadvisor, which for a place this size, is I think damn good and well deserved.

My major criticism is that the Wifi coverage is very poor and erratic. Even 3G was poor.
As somewhere which sets itself as a major international convention centre this is something that needs attention as in this day and age, fast, efficient an reliable Wifi is necessary. It was good to find it was free though! Thanks for that!

Room Tip: Try and avoid the 5th floor as apparently the aircon isn't so good up there, I had the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Ivica S, General Manager at Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Dear Guests,
It was a pleasure to read you in depth report on Langusto restaurant. Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience of dining in Lacgusto, thank you for your complements and thank you for pointing out to us certain areas where we can do better. We are also pleased that our staff were helpful and professional in performing their duties with some exceptions we will most certainly look into. As much as we value all our guests’ comments on Trip advisor and other numerous on line facilities we strive to make our guests’ stay enjoyable and provide them with the best possible service because we value their custom and respect their choice. From a wide variety of establishments our guests could choose from, their choice is Valamar and Lacroma and we take this trust they put into us most seriously. As our core business is hospitality this is our priority as you have kindly pointed out in your review “…staff appreciated that we were on holiday and wanted you to have a good time….”.
Thank you again for a delightful, informative, sincere and most objective review and we hope to be able to greet you again on some other occasion in Lacroma or some other Valamar property. It will be our honour and pleasure. We promise to fix the WiFi promptly!

Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed here with my husband for 7 nights on a Newmarket Holiday. Room was excellent ( 4th floor with balcony and side seaview) and very quiet.
The room had tea/coffee making, iron & ironing board, good airconditioning, mini bar, free safe, & comfortable bed.
Staff were on the whole very good, although some of the waiters were a little off-hand.
Pool area was good, with plenty of sunbeds, umberellas & towels. Pools were not heated.
Didn't use the Spa but looked good and quite reasonably priced for standard of hotel.
We were half-board, with a good selection of food, although the carvery meat ran out quite early and the food in general could have been hotter. We ate outside most evenings as the weather was so good, waiter there very friendly & efficient. The hotel had very acceptable wine for 65kona a bottle (£7).
Had drinks on the terrace where there was usually live music. (The last evening was a very good tenor)
Watched the sunset from the terrace of the President Hotel.
Used the local bus into Dubrovnik (12kona each way, buy your tickets at the tobacconist in the hotel)
We also discovered on the last day a lovely walk to Lapad Bay (turn right at the main road, follow road to left and down steps to paved walkway to Bay) which takes about 30 minutes.
All in all an excellent holiday. Loved the old town, where we walked the walls, took a boat trip around harbour and island, bought a museum pass (70Kona each which covered 4 museums and lasted for 7 days) Also went on organised trip with our tour operator to Mostar, Montengro (both excellent value) and tour of Dubrovnik (poor value)

3 Thank Cullercoats
Ivica S, General Manager at Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear Guests,
Thank you sincerely! Very complementary, informative and objective review with lots of valuable information for any guests planning to visit Dubrovnik. We are very proud you have chosen Lacroma for you stay and are delighted your stay was enjoyable. Thank you for complementing our facilities.

Frankfurt am Main
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I want to say right from the start: The facilities are absolutely amazing. Everything is new and modern and kept very very nicely. The bitter disappointment comes in the form of the staff though, and the general feel of the hotel. Overall, my 5 night stay with my girlfriend was pleasant - air conditioned room, very spacious, enormous and comfortable bed, choice of pillows, which was amusing to see, but taken advantage of, and again, the pools and other facilites are spot on. But there is that feeling that nags me, that makes me feel that everything can be a bit better. A good example of this was the lobby bar - I had, or wanted, the 'battered fish and chips'. What I got was breaded sardine, which I'm now sure used to be canned, and potato salad. I didn't mention anything then as I just wanted to eat. So I ate, and soon after, fell ill, and spent a day in bed.
Since we had half board booked, we took advantage of the dinner buffet, which was nice. There was a good variety of already prepared and freshly grilled foods, a nice cold starter spread, and nice desserts. Only after eating there, my girlfriend got sick. We know this must have been the hotel food because we ate only in the hotel. Luckily, both of us recovered within 24 hours. Nevertheless, this was an annoyance. The breakfast buffet had everything one could ask for for breakfast - eggs, cold cuts, cereal, you name it. The juices are a bit sad, but anyway, it tastes nice and seems fresh. Matea is my favorite egg chef and makes a wicked fried egg, and for dinner makes great steaks - be sure to visit her if you go! All chefs generally were lovely. The service personnel though is a bit hit and miss. Once in a while you get a grumpy waiter of whom you are afraid... sometimes someone nice. Also, twice, there were issues concerning the waiters, and the person in charge made no effort to hide his anger and told them off without even taking them to the back of the restaurant or somewhere where it couldn't be heard. It made the atmosphere of the restaurant relatively unpleasant.
All in all, a decent hotel, but the price seems a bit high for what you get in terms of service - in a hotel it really is the standard of service which makes the guest feel welcome. I would have happily stayed at an establishment with half the facilities and lower quality furnishings if I'd felt more welcome.

2 Thank dkuntin
Ivica S, General Manager at Valamar Lacroma Dubrovnik, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy to hear that during your stay there we mostly “hits” you kindly commented on and we are sorry that you have encountered some “miss-es” during your stay with us that have influenced your overall impression of Lacroma. We were sorry to read of your dissatisfaction with the food at the Lobby bar. We believe this could have been a result of a misunderstanding between the battered fish you have ordered and breaded fish which is listed on the menu. We are sorry we were not able to assist on this occasion and provide you with the food you have requested.
Every night in our Lacroma Restaurant we have three to five hundred guests eating from our buffet. We make sure all food is prepared to the highest hygiene standards under strict HACCAP regulations. We are therefore genuinely concerned that you have felt ill. We had no similar complaints of reports from any other guests.
Please accept our sincere apologies for any unacceptable staff behaviour you have experienced during your stay. We have taken your comments seriously and have discussed them with our staff. We will put all our efforts into improving on these issues and we thank you for pointing them out to us.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed in the Valamar Lacroma in Dubrovnik and had a blast. The whole place is really modern and sleek, and the service is brilliant - real 5* stuff. The rooms are massive, the beds are so comfy, the bathrooms wonderful and the balcony views are terrific.

It shares a private beach with its sister hotel, the President, and it's a lovely spot with great waters to swim in. It also a fabulous private infinity pool of its own, which is long enough for some proper length swimming and which has a snack bar right next to it.

You have two options for dinner - the 'fine dining' and the main restaurant. We went for the latter (pregnant women not having much choice in the former!) and it was £20 for a buffet dinner of epic proportions. Fabulous food, and the local wine is also really tasty. Breakfast was also in the main restaurant, and again it was top-class.

All the little touches in and around the place make this a brilliant place to stop over at. It's quite heavily populated with tour groups, but you'd struggle to find big hotels in Dubrovnik which don't have these groups of 'silver travellers' everywhere - and besides, they're perfectly nice and don't hog the pool-side chairs.

The only thing I'd say that the hotel isn't that close to the Old Town, but if you can handle a 20-minute bus ride or a slightly shorter taxi ride, then it's still convenient. I'd definitely come back here in a hurry!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel should look out onto the sea, which is stunning
Dear Guests,
“Awesome review! Thank you very very much! We are thrilled you have enjoyed your stay in Lacroma and Dubrovnik and have found the destination and our property to your liking. We most sincerely hope you will be able to come back and stay with us again. Should you need any help with your travel and accommodation arrangements for your next visit, please feel free to contact us – we would be only too pleased to assist.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Good location! Great staff! First a smiling and very helpful receptionist tried to welcome me during my first night! The room was very clean and spacious but it was not facing the sea! So I requested a room with a view.The next day I had a phone call from that kind receptionist saying If I was still willing, I could move to the room with a sea view. The restaurant had all different kinds of food but the air was so heavy and stiff from the kitchen! Other than that the waiters were so attentive and helpful as well! Overall, very good experience! Thanks Valamar Lacroma to make my Dubrovnik stay a memorable one!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guests,
Greetings from Lacroma and a very big and sincere Thank you on your fabulous review. We are so pleased we were able to oblige with the room type of your choice and that our Reception staff took good care of you. We hope to maybe greet you again in Dubrovnik and Lacroma on some other occasion. Until then, we remain,

Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

I went there for a business trip and was quit curious to see this place as its advertisement on the web appeared to me enormously positive. I must say, most aspects are really, really nice. It is in a great location with a wonderful architecture. The facilities in the main building are simply great. The pools are very, very clean (in and outdoors). The bars are nice. The a la cart restaurant offers few but very good meals and wine. The rooms are nice and clean. Only a few aspects were below my expectations: the path to the sea is not nice at all. They were actually building a big tent so that one had to even find a detour by oneself. For the beach one actually needs dedicated shoes, because there are too many stones. The water however is wonderful. The breakfast was not convincing. The juice was clearly substandard and other things, like the ham, taste better in most other places. There was plentry of stuff, but unfortunately not good enough for being great. Still, a great place to stay.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lerche35
Dear Guests,
Thank you for choosing Lacroma and thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay overall and we have also picked up on a few details we can do better on. Regarding the tent for a large conference we were hosting, we expected to be somewhat of a disruption in communication through park pathways hence we have placed several signs at the Lobby area directing our guests to the President beach via alternative routes. Still we appreciate the disruption caused in some cases and we would like to offer our sincere apologies.

Vitoria, ES
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel during 4 days in August. It was a great sea view bedroom, unforgettable!
Every night we had dinner on the outdoor bar with alive music under the stars.
There are 3 beaches you can go from the Lacroma: Cava, Copacabana and one in front of President Hotel (also a hotel of Valamar group).
Is very easy to go to the Old Town from the hotel: take bus # 6 (every 15 min, until 1 am).
The Old City of Dubrovnik is a dream!!!

Room Tip: Rooms with sea view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CintiaNeves
Dear Guests,
How romantic! Thank you for your great review, we are happy your stay with us and in Dubrovnik was unforgettable! We would be thrilled if you decide to come back for some more Dubrovnik – Lacroma romance on some other occasion. Until then we remain,