“Overpriced apartment in the old town”
Review of Pavisa Apartments

Pavisa Apartments
Oslo, Norway
“Overpriced apartment in the old town”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I had some expectations for the apartment, considering that the price was more than 100 Euros per night. I understand that real estate in the old town of Dubrovnik comes at a premium, especially in the summer. However, I was still shocked when I saw the size of the room I had been assigned (it was a room and not an apartment!). It barely fitted two single beds put together, a miniscule desk and a tiny television set mounted on the wall. There was an air conditioner above the door, but otherwise there was no ventilation in the room besides two small windows. The apartment faced Stradun (the main street of the old town), so due to noise the windows had to remain closed at night. The drainage in the shower cabinet was poor, so after a few minutes of showering it became like a small bathtub. On the positive side I would mention the location (stepping out of the building you're right in the middle of the old town), it was clean, and wireless internet was included. However, none of these factors outweighed the fact that the apartment was grosely overpriced.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Janki77

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stayed in the Viktorija apartments for 8 nights over the July/August 2011 period. Frankly, if you want to self cater, then I can't imagine a better spot. The view from the apt was absolutely breathtaking. Why eat out when you can enjoy views like that!?
It's a picturesque walk to the Old Town with great views along the way and when you don't feel up to that, it's good to know there's bus stop right outside the apt. In fact, we took 3 tours with Adriatic Explorer who picked us up and dropped us off at that bus stop. So over all, the location is very convenient as well as offering stunning views.
As mentioned by another reviewer, the apt was simply but comfortably furnished with sat. TV, WIFI, air con, fridge and two hot plates. For washing clothes, there's a laundrette at the entrance to the Old Town. For groceries, there are 3 mini-markets nearby where you can get all the essential things.
The hosts were charming and thoroughly reliable. I have no hesitation in recommending this apt to any TA readers. I sincerely hope I have the chance to return to these apts at some time in future. I expected Dubrovnik to be good, but my experience of the place was much better than I imagined. It is simply magic.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Dubrovnik is a MUST SEE while in Croatia. It's hard to believe that less than 20 years ago they were under siege when they declared their independence from Yugoslavia.
Pero and Davorka Pavisa have several Sobes in Dubrovnik. We stayed in one uphill from Old Town. About 20 minutes downhill to old town, 30 min coming back. The apartment was quite comfortable and had a nice little balcony that overlooked the harbor. The Pavisas are delightful people and very helpful. If you do not want to walk to or from town, you can catch a bus rig t outside the Sobe.
Old town is fascinating and well worth the price to walk the wall.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed in Villa Victoria which is about a ten minute walk outside of Dubrovnik's Old Town, the apartment was big enough for three adults to share without getting in each others way and had great views from the balcony.

Although it is not in the Old Town itself, it is not hard to get to all of the attractions: the walk into town isn't too strenuous (though there is a fairly big hill) and the bus stop is literally at the front-door. There are there good beaches nearby.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Two Words: Bed Bugs. Though the reviews of this apartment were promising, things did not turn out as we had hoped. We booked two nights at Apartments Pavisa during our June holiday, expecting one of the rooms shown online. However, we were given a room managed by one of the neighboring apartment owners. Apparently, Apartment Pavisa works with various other owners so you may not receive the room you expect. We were met at the gates of Old Town by a nice gentleman who was kind and willing to show us around. Though the hospitality was great, it still does not erase the fact that there were bed bugs. We were bitten in the middle of the night and forced to vacate immediately. Unfortunately, the only vacancy in Old Town was a five star hotel. Needless to say, this turned our mid-range holiday into a very expensive one. Though were given a full refund and many apologies, the inconvenience and paranoia nearly ruined our vacation. We have debated for weeks on whether or not to write a negative review but at the end of the day, we wanted to warn travelers who decide to book apartments to be careful. Also, we were asked specifically not to write a review...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anonymous167
Kaslo
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We stayed for 23 days! If you are visiting the lovely city of Dubrovnik for 3 days or 30, arrange to stay at the Pavisa Apartments where your warm and friendly hosts, Pero, Dvorka and Antun Pavisa will welcome you, provide you with tips on everything from car rentals to restaurants to not-to-be-missed sites or tun you to the bus depot or the airport. The two apartments available in this restored historic building have a balcony where you can sip your morning coffee or afternoon drink, overlook the Adriatic and the island of Lokrum as well as offer magnificent views of the old city (a 10-15 min. walk) and dramatic sunsets. Each apartment is very comfortable and is finished simply but attractively with a kitchenette, separate bedroom (with king bed) and tiled bathroom. Excellent value at a reasonable rate!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 9 October 2010

The owner met me at the Old Town gate and walked me to the apartment. He carried one of my bags. This was very helpful, as I had just arrived from the States and was very jet-lagged. I would have had a difficult time navigating and finding the apartment in my condition.

The apartment wasn't fancy, but it was clean, and the location was great -- with a view of the main square, statues, clock-tower and Stradun.

I switched to another apartment in Dubrovnik during my stay due to availabilities (no problem with the accommodations), and the owner again led me there and carried one of my bags for me -- up some very steep steps.

Stayed September 2010, travelled solo