“Lovely location and great service - mediocre food”
Review of Aquarius

Aquarius
Ranked #269 of 396 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely location and great service - mediocre food”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My girlfriend and I spotted the rooftop garden while on a tour of the city walls and headed back there for our evening meal, attracted by the restaurant's location just outside the hustle and bustle of the centre. The location is fantastic - the garden is peaceful and, when we were there at least, not too busy either.

Our waiter was friendly and attentive, offering to explain anything we didn't understand on the menu, and providing just the right level of attention over the course of the meal. The food, however, was not so good. I opted for the frogs' legs - a new experience for me - and was disappointed to be served battered, bony, meatless lumps. As I've not had them before I can't give a fair impression, but they were not great. The waiter even apologetically explained that in "his country" they are served in a stew, and much better for it. It's probably fair to say that if a waiter has to make excuses for the quality of his restaurant's food, it's not a good sign.

My girlfriend had a chicken salad, which was an undressed, rudimentary combination of chicken, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onion. Our mains were a local spiced sausage dish and a shark steak respectively - both disappointed, being too salty, and the potatoes served with my shark were under-cooked.

The meal was not cheap, but then, being in Dubrovnik, I didn't expect it to be. Overall, despite the flawless service, it's impossible to recommend Aquarius when there are so many other, superior dining experiences available so close by. Go elsewhere.

• Visited June 2014

• Polish first
  • Thai first
Leeds
“A great secluded location with helpful staff”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We saw this restaurant from the harbour wall and retraced our steps to go there. A nice courtyard location away from any hustle or bustle. The staff were very helpful and answered out special requests well, like diced garlic and oil for our bread. The Adriatic fish platter was very nice, although one potato was slightly undercooked. Altogether a very nice meal.

Northolt, United Kingdom
“An oasis away from the tourist trail”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We happened across this quiet unassuming eatery whilst passing through from the harbour area to the old city, I promised the proprietor that we would visit in the evening, we did and were treated to very friendly and sociable service from a waiter by the name of Andrea, who suggested to fish dishes that were popular and went well with the red house wine that we had ordered, my wife plumped for grilled fish seafood plate, as my wife is Filipino and does miss her rice, Andrea was more than happy to supply plain rice, I plumped for a fish and potato dish cooked in white wine called ‘Popola’, the dish was rustic plain and simple and hit the spot, it may be easier to be churlish and say that the food was not up to international standards of restaurant fine dining, but for me at least it's about more than just the food, it's the so called ambience, and this was the key in our choice, as well as a very chatty waiter who gave us some history and background to Dubrovnik, along with informing us that the business was only 2 months old and that he would like some suggestions as to how they could improve the dining experience, that counts for a lot I think, oh by the way my wife adored her fish platter immensely and finished it all up, so top marks!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Northolt_John
newbury, berkshire
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I visited this restaurant on 12th May, we were in the harbour area and having not eaten here before we thought we would try it out, we have been to Dubrovnik numerous times and never had a bad meal. I ordered the seafood salad, one of my favourite foods when in Croatia, and as we were right by the sea i thought it would be yet another amazing meal. No, it was not to be, it seemed to be a defrosted mixed seafood bag (like you would buy in Tesco) plonked on a bed of lettuce and tomatoes nothing else, no dressing, oil or herbs - it was inedible! I returned it stating that it wasn't good, I was offered another meal but it had put me off eating for a while. The gentleman next to me had also ordered this so was interested to see how his turned out...yep just like mine, awful. He too sent his back. All other food looked fine, my husband had cevapcici, which was ok. The setting was fantastic in the roof garden and the staff were really friendly and very disappointed that we didn't enjoyed the salad.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We spotted this beautiful rooftop terrace while walking the walls, it looked fantastic, lovely green canopy - an idyllic spot. Hubby ordered black risotto and I ordered chevapchichi. The risotto was overcooked, rice was mushy. Chevapchichi was tasty, although portion was small (half of what we received at a similar restaurant also within the walls of Old Town). Chevapchici came with boiled cabbage covered in raw garlic and fries. The fries were sitting in the juice from the cabbage and were totally soggy and barely edible. When we were ready to leave we were told that their credit machine didn't work and we would have to pay cash, which we didn't have. They wanted to keep a piece of ID while we went to an ATM - we said no. Went to get the cash, returned and expressed our disappointment at the meal and credit card situation - they reduced our bill by 20% - a nice gesture!