“Good location but I'm not coming back.”
Review of Villa Amfora

Villa Amfora
Ranked #140 of 184 Dubrovnik B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Here are the good things:
- Location: A very short 5-10 minute walk from the bus station and very easy to find.
- Neighbourhood: Not too noisy even though it's on the main road. A restaurant and bar is attached to the hotel so you can always eat there. Supermarket and bus stop (to Old Town) is nearby.

Here are the problems I had with this hotel.
- I got to the hotel after a long day of travelling on the bus. Needless to say, I was exhausted from the travel. I knew the hotel is also a restaurant/bar. When I found the entrance to the restaurant, there were no clear signs indicating which area is considered to be the reception for the hotel. I walked in and past a few dining tables, saw a small counter and thought it was part of the restaurant where customers pay for their meal. So, I thought that I would go upstairs to look for the reception. I got halfway up the stairs and a staff indicated to me that the counter I saw was in fact the 'reception'. As this was my mistake, I told him sorry. When I got back down the stairs, he muttered that "you have to check in before you can go to your room". The way he said this indicated that he thought I was going to just plonk myself in any room without checking in. Which wasn't the case. As I said, I wasn't sure where the reception is, and did apologise when I realised my mistake. So there was no need for him to be rude about it.
- The reception area is never attended. And I could never work out who is working at the restaurant/bar, and who is looking after the hotel side of things. So whenever I needed any assistance regarding my room, there was never anyone there to help me.
- The bathroom is tiny, and there's not a lot of moving room.
- On the day that I checked out, I again encountered the issue of not having someone at reception. I needed to catch the bus to the airport and was strapped for time. Staff working at the restaurant saw me but no one came to help. I finally asked a female staff for help. When I paid for my room, I didn't have the correct change (I needed to pay 1455 kunas, and paid 1500 kunas). She appeared very impatient with me when trying to give me the correct change. I was owed 45 kunas, and she only gave back 5 Euros (35 kunas) and asked, rudely, if this was ok. [Well, if I underpaid for my room, would that have been ok?] So I told her no, and asked that she give me the correct change. She appeared frustrated, and threw a few coins on the desk. I was in a rush and didn't have the energy to argue with her, but this was not a nice goodbye.

Based on my experience with the staff here, I won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank HappyPengu
agenorski, Owner at Villa Amfora, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately I have been working with booking.com about an issue which found very annoying. You see, we do not market our selves anywhere as a hotel but the layout of their internet site is standardized for hotels. It is easy to mistake a humble private accommodation house with a hotel which by the law needs to have a 24 hour reception.

This is what the description on booking.com says in the first two sentences: " Just 100 metres from the Ferry Port, Villa Amfora Dubrovnik features a locally popular restaurant and offers air-conditioned rooms with free Wi-Fi and TV. This family run guesthouse is 50 metres from a bus stop and a 10-minute bus ride from the UNESCO-protected Old City." You see that there is no mention of us being a hotel, but a guesthouse. We are not obligated by law to have a reception. That is why we are listed under B&B on the tripadvisor webpage and not under hotel.

We are running a top class restaurant and we have private accommodation rooms above. After the recent renovations I did put a small reception desk in order to have guests a more "formal" check in. We have the rooms cleaned every day but the rest of the staff is obligated to attend their restaurant duties but also to assist the sleeping guests whenever this is possible. I apologize if you and your expectations let you down. Next time be sure to go a three star hotel and pay at least the double amount and chat away with the front office clerks as long as he(she) would let you.

Kind regards,

Kristian Korda - Villa Amfora Dubrovnik

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Handily positioned for marina and bus station with the old town easily accessible by bus. Very friendly and helpful staff and the room had a small fridge and airconditioning and was generally perfectly comfortable. Very handy too for the little market and big supermarket nearby.
Despite the road being noisy and the neighbouring bar (and occasionally private yachts) playin intrusive music would not hesitate to recommend this B&B as good valoue for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed 4 nights at €44 per night in a single room with air con, TV, fridge and attached bathroom. Room on the smaller side but suitable for single occupancy and room to spread out etc. Relaxed environment with kettle / jug downstairs to make hot drinks and verandah to catch a breeze. Restaurant attached but didn't try. Wifi worked perfectly at all times. 50 metres to regular buses into old city (approx 8 minutes) and a number of restaurants, cafes, supermarket on the same strip. 10 minute walk from the bus station. Location very good and management very helpful (including replacing a blown light bulb at 10pm). Quiet at night and bed gave a comfortable sleep. Old City extremely busy and much more expensive. Good solid option.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MJS1966
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Boutique hotel within walking distance of the bus terminal (400m) and the ferries(200m). Pleasant neighborhood across from a park and docked yachts. Public bus to old town 50m away, 15 minutes ride. Hotel has a suburb restaurant, a class lounge, and sidewalk tables.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a reasonable option for those wanting a functional room in a decent location but it's not special in any way.

The rooms are fine and cleaned well. The location is okay but on a main street so there is some traffic noise.

Service was mixed - we specifically asked for a quiet room when we arrived yet were given one just next to and above a noisy late night bar with loud music. To be fair we were moved straight away but were slightly disappointed given our request on arrival and then having to move at 11pm.

Breakfast was included but we received quite different portions and service depending on who was on duty (it wasn't a buffet but an a la carte menu).

Overall it serves the purpose and for those who are looking for a functional hotel it's a good option.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank tkmax34
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed in this B&B for a week and found it an ideal location. Away from the crowds of the old town but still only 10mins on bus (outside door) or for those who like to walk 20mins. Beside the port, bus station (handy for airport bus) and only a short walk from Lapad and it's many beaches.
The room was spotless and always lots of hot water.
Don't forget to visit the restaurant downstairs an unexpected gem!!!!!!
All in all great family run business that i would return to.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth B
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed there because of a good offseason price and because it's close to the bus station (and it's even closer to the ferries). The room was fine; however on booking.com they promise a room with cable TV, the cable TV is in the common room, I don't like at all hotels misleading customers about their facilities. that's why I rate it only as Average.
It is above an upmarket restaurant, but there isn't too much noise.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
agenorski, Owner at Villa Amfora, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear Mr Pierre,

Thank you for your comment¸and we are happy you had a positive experience at Villa Amfora. We read all off the comments and react to them promptly so we can give our guests a better stay experience. We took the "misleading" information of the booking.com website but we are looking into some options how to implement a cable tv system for the rooms.

Kind regards,