“Ok if you're sick of pizza”
Review of Taverna Nostromo

Taverna Nostromo
Ranked #323 of 407 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch, I had chicken with gorgonzola cheese sauce which was okay and my boyfriend had veal with potatoes that had very little taste. The waitress was nice enough but it just felt more like a greasy spoon than a hotel restaurant. There aren't many places to eat in Gruz harbour unless you want pizza or to pay over the odds for a nice dinner so this is a cheap and easy option

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The food: even though we did not order a starter, two plates were dumped upon is while the waitress disappeared immediately. Eventually we caught the eye of the other waitress, to ask what this "fantastic" looking dish was, to which she replied "fish pate" as if it was the most obvious answer in the world! We then tried it and discovered it was tuna mayonnaise, which isn't exactly fish pate! I had the chicken with rice which was not too bad but a little too chewy - maybe reheated...My boyfriend had beef steak, which was fine and served with the smallest amount of roast potatoes and grilled vegetables, some of which had not been touched by the grill whilst others looked and tasted like they had lived on the grill for several days! The wine- fortunately the hotel prewarned us about this particular pantomime! In brief, despite the looks of distain you'll receive from the waiting staff, go for your instincts and after a taste, if you like the house wine, order it! You may want to look at the wine list but that is not served to you, but you have to specifically request it! If you find the white wine is served at room temperature, don't be afraid to ask for an I've bucket!
Service: "AMAZING" - the most fascinating part of the whole experience! After getting your food you are left to it - don't expect to get any more attention! One of the interesting things was we were presented with the card machine to enter the PIN number without being told how much the bill was! And the previous reviewer may want to check his/her bill again (if they ever saw if) as the tuna pate/ mayonnaise was NOT complimentary!!!
Atmosphere: like being dragged back to the eighties!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I am surprised by some of the recent negative reviews on Tripadvisor for Nostromo, because in my experience (three meals across two visits to Dubrovnik) the food has been excellent. The real star was the squid bouzzara (essentially squid in tomato sauce with polenta), but I have also enjoyed swordfish and king prawns here. The staff are pleasant and gave us a tasty starter of fish pate free of charge. The atmosphere would be my only criticism as it is rather business-like. It proved convenient to have such a good restaurant in the Gruz area for those staying in the harbour district.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Our dinner in this restaurant was slightly disturbed by another dinner party. About 20 local citizens seemed to like drinking and telling masculine stories. The waiters tried their best, but still e.g. forgot to bring our salad, which they earlier suggested themselves. Portions were large and the food was ok. You would not be hungry after a meal here, but I would not look for a culinary experience in this place.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Staff very friendly and food very good. We returned for a second and third night I think that says a lot. Staying at Berkeley hotel very convenient