“A place that everyone should experience!”

Apartments Baltazar
Manchester
“A place that everyone should experience!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and were blown away by the hospitality, help and assistance that we received whilst on our holidays here. We were picked up from the airport and then brought to the lovely apartments to meet Ivo and his neighbour (Milo) who immediately made you feel welcome by discussing places to visit and see whist sitting in their courtyard and taking in the beautiful views of the coast and the Old Town. The apartment rooms were excellent and extremely well looked after. The breakfast is also provided each morning and consists of a lovely selection of fresh fruit, meat, cheese, bread, cereal and an array of warm and cold drinks - This sets you up well for your days adventure! Ivo made some fantastic suggestions of places to go to during the day and booked us into a selection of delightful restaurants in the evenings. Each day is amazing because you are walking distance to the impressive walled city and each meeting with Ivo is entertaining and helpful. As we left to move to our next stop on our travels, Ivo made the travel arrangements for us to get to our first island visit which was very kind and took any 'worries' from our travels. We would definitely recommend for people to stay here when visiting Dubrovnik. We are looking forward to planning our next visit to these apartments. Thank you Ivo, Milo and family - Evo and Gabby.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sydney
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights in July. We only wished once we left that we were staying much longer. From the moment Ivo picks you up from the airport you are made to feel really welcome. Throw away your tourist guide books as Ivo will suggest on things to do from a locals eyes, places to eat and everything in between. We stayed in the 1 bed apartment. It was immaculate and had a great view. Location wise it was great. A nice walk down small sided streets, it took a very leisurely 15 minutes to old town taking photos along the way. My partner who was pregnant found it easy as well for the walk back. A good way to burn some kilo joules as well. Our stay here although short was truly memorable and will be remembered for many years to come. Ivo provides that level of service which most hotels cannot provide. Cannot wait until we return to see "our friend".

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I am generally weary of places that only get "Excellent" reviews, but this place deserves every single excellent rating!

Ivo owns the apartment and he is the nicest and most genuinely hospitable owner I have ever met in all my years of staying in hotels! From the moment he picks you up, he is eager to share his favorite things about Dubrovnik to make sure you make the most of your stay. Upon arrival, you get a welcome drink and Ivo and his friend, Milo, take the time to tell you everything about the apartment. They want you to be comfortable and your enjoyment is their #1 priority during your stay... so much so that they even provide free beer on tap and wine at their terrace! During your stay, Ivo is always around to help. He helped me call rental car agencies, find out about and schedule tours for me, and even took a bunch of the guests out to a local restaurant (we paid for our portion but he arranged the transportation and even gave us a surprise stop at the top of Mt Surge which has a phenomenal view of Dubrovnik at night). Ivo also loves chatting with his guests so if you'd love to get to know some real locals, this is perfect for you! One night, I came back from a long day out and saw Ivo sitting on his terrace. We ended up drinking some wine and chatting for a couple of hours! Prior to my departure, he also took me to get some photos of Dubrovnik that I was really eyeing. Everything he did was above and beyond any expectation I'd have of a host!

As far as the apartment itself: He has two apartments. The one I was in was super clean, simply furnished, had AC, a kitchen, bathroom, and a bedroom. There's plenty of hot water. There are clotheslines you can use too if you want to do some laundry in the sink. It also had a balcony with incredible views over Dubrovnik especially at sunset! He comes in to clean the apartment and change towels every few days or so but other than that, he just lets you be.

As another note, Villa Klaic (Milo's place) gets rave reviews on TripAdvisor - you can check under B&B's is right next to Apartment Baltazar. Interestingly, Ivo and Milo are friends so they basically share the beautiful terrace that people talk about in Villa Klaic's reviews! About the terrace: It's really a step above what you'd expect in Dubrovnik. It has a small sitting area with plush chairs, table, and access to the bar with beer on tap. Below the terrace is a small pool (yes you get access to a pool too!!) which is great if you just want to relax and enjoy the city's plentiful sunshine. The terrace area overlooks the city so it has a gorgeous view, too. For those staying at Apartment Baltazar, the view from your balcony is just as good (I'm not sure all the rooms at Villa Klaic have balconies based on my discussions with the guests there).

You also get a great breakfast which is served from 7-9am or so. I say "or so" because they are pretty accommodating if you need to eat outside of those times. For instance, I needed to catch a tour at 7am one day so they let me get breakfast a bit earlier than 7am that day. Again, they are willing to do whatever to ensure you're having a great stay. Breakfast included fruit, salami/ham, cheese, bread, cereal, coffee, juice, and yogurt. All of the food is fresh too because they get it every morning.

The only thing I would caution someone about when choosing this place is that there are a bunch of stairs you have to climb to get back to the apartment from old town. It took me about 15 minutes of walking up stairs to get there, but if that turns you off, bus #3 brings you right to the stop near the apartment, too, so it's not a big deal (take the bus in front of Pile Gate). Besides, all the stairs make the view that much better!

My stay here was part of a long 80 day trip I did around the world and of all the places I stayed in those 80 days, Ivo's apartment is the only one that I still recall fondly! I've stayed at 5 star hotels and no where have I ever met as friendly people as I did staying here. Ivo and Milo really made my stay the best and I am already dreaming of when I can go back. If you have the opportunity to stay here, DO IT! I really feel like you come here as a guest but leave feeling like you hung out with friends here. Hopefully you can get the reservations as it's not uncommon for them to be booked solid. Ivo accepts bookings only on Holiday Lettings: http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/dubrovnik/134053

Room Tip: Ivo only has 2 apartments and both are newly furnished so you can't go wrong with either!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Middlesbrough
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Where did that ten days go? First the apartment is very clean and more than large enough for us. All furniture seems to be new and the bed was very comfortable. The view from the balcony is stunning. The house is situated on the top of a hill so a lot of steps but that was fine for us and we only occasionally took the bus back from the old town. As all of the other posts suggest Ivo and Marija are VERY generous and kind hosts who couldn't have been more helpful. Ivo's help with transport, advice about places to go, booking restaurants/ trips, providing clean towels/bedding, washing etc let us just concentrate on enjoying ourselves which we did! We had originally booked for 7 days but decided to stay an extra three and Ivo helped us to find another apartment nearby however continued to welcome us to his terrace to chat over a cold beer and to carry on accessing the good value breakfast.

Lots of great memories but the highlight was a day sailing around local islands followed by an amazing home cooked meal with Ivo and Milo's families. Met countless good people from all over the world and the time just flew by. We will be booking again for next year no doubt!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Our stay at Apartments Baltazar couldn't not have been better. None of the photos do this place justice. The apartments are perfect with new furniture and breathtaking views. Ivo is the perfect host for your stay in this stunning city. From the minute he met us at the airport he ensured we had a perfect holiday. We were always invited for an evening drink in his courtyard. I travelled with my elderly dad and Ivo couldn't have done more to help him, often dropping us in the old town so he didn't have to tackle the steps. Breakfast each morning in the pretty conservatory was also a real bonus....great coffee too :-) If you would like a very attentive host and immaculate accommodation then Apartments Baltazar is for you! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We didn't stay here but we were met at the airport by Ivo who greeted us like an old friend and did so throughout our stay. The apartments look stunning and are refreshed every year. Ivo and his charming family will make you feel right at home and we spent countless evenings in his courtyard, drinking his beer and him refusing to let us pay a penny. He even arranged evening meals, day trips, the works. Couldn't recommend this place more. Check it out.

• Stayed October 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Had a wonderful stay at the apartment. It looked newly tiled and decorated so it was extremely fresh and clean. Difficult really to add to all of the reports from other travellers as they have already said it all...!! Ivo and Marija are a genuinely lovely couple who clearly enjoy people and have a great sense of fun. We can happily recommend it and intend to return. Try and stay for at least 7 days as there is so much to see and staying with our hosts for dinner was delightful! We also had use of the pool next door which was a bonus and there is an optional breakfast next door also at only 5 Euros which is worth it if you can't be bothered to go down into the old town - the owner next door is also an extremely welcoming and happy chap so we did not feel awkward taking breakfast there.

Room Tip: Both rooms I believe are similar with great balcony views
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple