“Believe the hype”

Apartments Baltazar
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Well, what can you say about these apartments...pardon the essay.

You are welcomed by a spacious bedroom off the main hall way. Beds were put together for me and my girlfriend. Very comfortable! The smell of the rooms and bedding was great too. Ivo and /or his wife popping in every other day to change sheets and towels for us. Cleanliness was number one from Ivo for us.

The bathroom and open plan living space are exactly what you are after and super clean, with air conditioning. You then have a balcony with a sea view and you can make out near by Lokrum Island and catch the edge of the city walls from there. It is not just the apartments that leave an impression on you though.

Ivo and his family are the opitimy of hospitality. After the slight hiccup of pick up arrangements at the airport (make sure Ivo has your flight details) we made our way to the apartments and we're greeted with beer, wine and grapo (local brandy) as a welcome. He began by asking about where we were from and taking in us as people. He then showed us the local sights and sounds to visit and urged us to throw our Rough Guide away and his suggestions were ideal for what we were after!

Villa Klaic next door played a part in our marvellous stay, as breakfast and an evening meal were served here, with a beer tap and pool to boot we also had use of this. Thank you Milo!

Ivo arranged a meal for all the guests between the 2 apartments at a beautiful restaurant up on Mount Srd and took us to the panoramic platform for pictures of the sunset and Lokrum in the background. Ivo also himself cooked for me and my girlfriend and asked us to eat with him and his family during a national holiday. Just superb hospitality.

And to top it off, he invited me to play football with him, Milo and his friends one evening and that was a great surprise!

I guarantee you will not be disappointed by your stay here. We cannot speak highly enough of the service and friendly atmosphere of Ivo and his family and I very much look forward to staying again in the future.

Thank you Ivo!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Apartments Baltazar

Reviewed 14 August 2013

My husband and I spent seven nights at Apartment Baltazar in July. We have stayed in many different villas and apartments in different countries over the last ten years. None has come close to the quality of service that we received at Apartment Baltazar. Ivo and his wife Marija and their two gorgeous daughters and his friend Milo ( ladies - he looks like a Croatian George Clooney!!) were exceptionally friendly and helpful and truly the perfect hosts. We felt like part of the family from day one and were genuinely sad to leave them when we had to go.
The apartment has a great view and a balcony to enjoy it from. It is well fitted out, very clean and well maintained. There are a probably a number of other apartments in Dubrovnik that can make these claims but none of them have the unique advantages of being hosted by Ivo and Milo. These guys provide seven star service!! Nothing is too much trouble for them and they arranged everything we needed. They were incredibly generous with their hospitality. From breakfast in a great room with spectacular ocean views to free drinks on the terrace to sharing homegrown tomatoes and homemade olive oil and Ivo preparing a delightful lunch for us on our last day- you would not get this sort of service anywhere no matter how much you pay! This is why we call it seven star service and intend to return with our friends and family in 2014.

A great big personal thank you to Ivo & Milo and families. We hope to see you again soon. Sally & Ed

Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and were blown away by the hospitality, help and assistance that we received whilst on our holidays here. We were picked up from the airport and then brought to the lovely apartments to meet Ivo and his neighbour (Milo) who immediately made you feel welcome by discussing places to visit and see whist sitting in their courtyard and taking in the beautiful views of the coast and the Old Town. The apartment rooms were excellent and extremely well looked after. The breakfast is also provided each morning and consists of a lovely selection of fresh fruit, meat, cheese, bread, cereal and an array of warm and cold drinks - This sets you up well for your days adventure! Ivo made some fantastic suggestions of places to go to during the day and booked us into a selection of delightful restaurants in the evenings. Each day is amazing because you are walking distance to the impressive walled city and each meeting with Ivo is entertaining and helpful. As we left to move to our next stop on our travels, Ivo made the travel arrangements for us to get to our first island visit which was very kind and took any 'worries' from our travels. We would definitely recommend for people to stay here when visiting Dubrovnik. We are looking forward to planning our next visit to these apartments. Thank you Ivo, Milo and family - Evo and Gabby.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights in July. We only wished once we left that we were staying much longer. From the moment Ivo picks you up from the airport you are made to feel really welcome. Throw away your tourist guide books as Ivo will suggest on things to do from a locals eyes, places to eat and everything in between. We stayed in the 1 bed apartment. It was immaculate and had a great view. Location wise it was great. A nice walk down small sided streets, it took a very leisurely 15 minutes to old town taking photos along the way. My partner who was pregnant found it easy as well for the walk back. A good way to burn some kilo joules as well. Our stay here although short was truly memorable and will be remembered for many years to come. Ivo provides that level of service which most hotels cannot provide. Cannot wait until we return to see "our friend".

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I am generally weary of places that only get "Excellent" reviews, but this place deserves every single excellent rating!

Ivo owns the apartment and he is the nicest and most genuinely hospitable owner I have ever met in all my years of staying in hotels! From the moment he picks you up, he is eager to share his favorite things about Dubrovnik to make sure you make the most of your stay. Upon arrival, you get a welcome drink and Ivo and his friend, Milo, take the time to tell you everything about the apartment. They want you to be comfortable and your enjoyment is their #1 priority during your stay... so much so that they even provide free beer on tap and wine at their terrace! During your stay, Ivo is always around to help. He helped me call rental car agencies, find out about and schedule tours for me, and even took a bunch of the guests out to a local restaurant (we paid for our portion but he arranged the transportation and even gave us a surprise stop at the top of Mt Surge which has a phenomenal view of Dubrovnik at night). Ivo also loves chatting with his guests so if you'd love to get to know some real locals, this is perfect for you! One night, I came back from a long day out and saw Ivo sitting on his terrace. We ended up drinking some wine and chatting for a couple of hours! Prior to my departure, he also took me to get some photos of Dubrovnik that I was really eyeing. Everything he did was above and beyond any expectation I'd have of a host!

As far as the apartment itself: He has two apartments. The one I was in was super clean, simply furnished, had AC, a kitchen, bathroom, and a bedroom. There's plenty of hot water. There are clotheslines you can use too if you want to do some laundry in the sink. It also had a balcony with incredible views over Dubrovnik especially at sunset! He comes in to clean the apartment and change towels every few days or so but other than that, he just lets you be.

As another note, Villa Klaic (Milo's place) gets rave reviews on TripAdvisor - you can check under B&B's is right next to Apartment Baltazar. Interestingly, Ivo and Milo are friends so they basically share the beautiful terrace that people talk about in Villa Klaic's reviews! About the terrace: It's really a step above what you'd expect in Dubrovnik. It has a small sitting area with plush chairs, table, and access to the bar with beer on tap. Below the terrace is a small pool (yes you get access to a pool too!!) which is great if you just want to relax and enjoy the city's plentiful sunshine. The terrace area overlooks the city so it has a gorgeous view, too. For those staying at Apartment Baltazar, the view from your balcony is just as good (I'm not sure all the rooms at Villa Klaic have balconies based on my discussions with the guests there).

You also get a great breakfast which is served from 7-9am or so. I say "or so" because they are pretty accommodating if you need to eat outside of those times. For instance, I needed to catch a tour at 7am one day so they let me get breakfast a bit earlier than 7am that day. Again, they are willing to do whatever to ensure you're having a great stay. Breakfast included fruit, salami/ham, cheese, bread, cereal, coffee, juice, and yogurt. All of the food is fresh too because they get it every morning.

The only thing I would caution someone about when choosing this place is that there are a bunch of stairs you have to climb to get back to the apartment from old town. It took me about 15 minutes of walking up stairs to get there, but if that turns you off, bus #3 brings you right to the stop near the apartment, too, so it's not a big deal (take the bus in front of Pile Gate). Besides, all the stairs make the view that much better!

My stay here was part of a long 80 day trip I did around the world and of all the places I stayed in those 80 days, Ivo's apartment is the only one that I still recall fondly! I've stayed at 5 star hotels and no where have I ever met as friendly people as I did staying here. Ivo and Milo really made my stay the best and I am already dreaming of when I can go back. If you have the opportunity to stay here, DO IT! I really feel like you come here as a guest but leave feeling like you hung out with friends here. Hopefully you can get the reservations as it's not uncommon for them to be booked solid. Ivo accepts bookings only on Holiday Lettings: http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/dubrovnik/134053

Room Tip: Ivo only has 2 apartments and both are newly furnished so you can't go wrong with either!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Where did that ten days go? First the apartment is very clean and more than large enough for us. All furniture seems to be new and the bed was very comfortable. The view from the balcony is stunning. The house is situated on the top of a hill so a lot of steps but that was fine for us and we only occasionally took the bus back from the old town. As all of the other posts suggest Ivo and Marija are VERY generous and kind hosts who couldn't have been more helpful. Ivo's help with transport, advice about places to go, booking restaurants/ trips, providing clean towels/bedding, washing etc let us just concentrate on enjoying ourselves which we did! We had originally booked for 7 days but decided to stay an extra three and Ivo helped us to find another apartment nearby however continued to welcome us to his terrace to chat over a cold beer and to carry on accessing the good value breakfast.

Lots of great memories but the highlight was a day sailing around local islands followed by an amazing home cooked meal with Ivo and Milo's families. Met countless good people from all over the world and the time just flew by. We will be booking again for next year no doubt!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Our stay at Apartments Baltazar couldn't not have been better. None of the photos do this place justice. The apartments are perfect with new furniture and breathtaking views. Ivo is the perfect host for your stay in this stunning city. From the minute he met us at the airport he ensured we had a perfect holiday. We were always invited for an evening drink in his courtyard. I travelled with my elderly dad and Ivo couldn't have done more to help him, often dropping us in the old town so he didn't have to tackle the steps. Breakfast each morning in the pretty conservatory was also a real bonus....great coffee too :-) If you would like a very attentive host and immaculate accommodation then Apartments Baltazar is for you! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family