“Avoid”

Ranked #48 of 178 Dubrovnik B&B and Inns
Bloomington, Indiana
“Avoid”
Reviewed 19 July 2012

The accommodations are nothing special, you can do better for the price. We also were surprised at check-out when the front desk person refused to accept a credit card, claiming that the card reader was down. We have been traveling throughout Croatia for a month, and this was the first time we encountered this problem - and it makes no sense given that they also operate a restaurant that accepts credit cards. I don't believe their explanation; I think they just don't like paying credit card fees.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Rustington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This hotel is really not worth the money. It is well located and central, but it is not all that it is cracked up to be. I would not expect wires hanging out of the wall, mirrors propped up against the wall ready to be hung or useless AC in a four star hotel. I sound rather precious don't I? But going on holiday is a treat and I suppose you just want everything to be perfect. It was not so bad that we complained but it was not great. Now - my most serious complaint is about the breakfast. Again, there are big things going on in the world and my breakfast is not one of them. But in the context of this review, the breakfast was bad. Intermittent fruit, scarce crossaints (you need to get down early to nab one) but the real killer was powered orange juice. Powdered orange juice - why oh why oh why? Well, clearly is is cheaper - but it is a four star hotel - I would expect real juice, am I asking too much? A really easy thing to get right (and to correct). Overall - you will find a nicer hotel for about the same price I'd say. Not terrible by any means, but not the experience that we were expecting.

Room Tip: I like to think I have a spring in my step, but even I found the four flights of stairs a turn off...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I know Dubrovnik is a popular spot but our room was a 4th floor walk up, with such low ceilings that I kept hitting my head. The shower leaked on the bathroom floor, the phone didn't work so you had to walk down 4 flights just to ask a question. Our room was not ready until after dinner the night we arrived and we had to share an air conditioning control with another room so that it stayed out in the hallway. While the staff were trying, they should be charging about 1/2 what we paid under these circumstances.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Dubrovnik hotels

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 11 July 2012

This is a quaint little b&b in town. If you're looking for a luxury hotel, this will not be it. If you're just looking for a comfortable place to stay for a few nights within the city walls, this will work out great. We checked in and had a couple of little issues but they were nothing we couldn't get over. The guests before us apparently left without returning the room key so they only had one for our room, which meant that if we wanted our room to be cleaned we would have to leave the key with the front desk for the day. Our shower door didn't close completely so the bathroom would flood when showering, but honestly that happened in every hotel we stayed on our recent trip to Europe.
We weren't expecting much for this hotel. We just wanted a cool, clean place to sleep at night. The air in our room worked pretty good so we were happy and our room was clean. The only other complaint we may have had was that there are a couple of bars directly across and next door to the hotel that were very popular so we could hear people talking and singing into late in the night. All in all, the hotel worked out fine for what we needed. If we doing another similar trip with only a few days in Dubrovnik we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 1 is right over the bar next door so it gets loud during the weekend
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank atlbeachbum81
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The best thing about this hotel is I got my money back. Oh, yes the location is good.
I booked a room for myself, husband and 2 small children for 1 night; 1 room with a king size bed and an extra bed for my 8 year old. I figured my 5 year old would just crash with my husband and I in the king. When we arrived the manager told us he had a wonderful "suite" arranged as we would be more comfortable with our kids for the same price. I of course accepted. We were taken to our "suite" which was about a 3 minute walk from the main hotel by 2 of the staff. We were escorted up a very dreary and dark hallway( even in the middle of this very sunny day) into a two room dump that was even hotter than it was outside if at all possible. The woman assured me that the portable AC with a hose hanging out of the window was very stong and would carry over from one room to the next. I can't believe I accepted this, but i did. I guess being that we were travelling for several hours all day to get there, my husband and I were just exhausted and needed to get our children some food.
We didnt have much time there and weren't going to get all stressed out; we figured it would cool off after a while and it would be fine..
After some ice cream for the kids and wine for us, we stopped at the front desk and decided to pay for our room in cash (discount if in cash) as we would be leaving early the next day before they opened. We went back to our room up the now darker hallway and it was 10 times hotter than it was before. Our "stong" AC showed the temperature as 31 celsius and the water was full and we had to empty it. We went right to the staff and he assured us it would be taken care of by the time we got back from dinner in a couple of hours. Of course we had our concerns during dinner and anxiously tried to get back before they locked up at 11 in case.. Well, the same thing.... Now the hallway was pitch black and I luckily had a flashlight app on my iPhone for my entire family to walk up the stairs into our "suite" which was a sauna. AC still on 31 celsius and water again needed to be emptied. Also, I need to add in here the pipes from the bathroom were making noises that actually scared my kids.The man, Dragan at the front desk actually felt bad for us and our little kids when I insisted he come to our "suite". We were all dripping sweat at that point. He tried to come up with a solution but kind of hard at 10:45pm. I would have moved but there was nothing free. He called the manager on his cell and got him to give us our money back.
Shame on you to put us with 2 small children in such conditions. If I didn't have the flashlight on my phone, how could we have made it safely upstairs with a 5 and 8 year old??? Yes, I got my money back, but still.... How dare you?

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Leslie M
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed 4 nights in this hotel in Room 8, which I think it is not the best room in the place. The bed squeak a lot, a couple of missing light globes, the shower door did not close properly and it has a very awkward ceiling. Overall it is not a bad hotel, it just need minor adjustments. The positives are the location and the staff.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Blackpool
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We selected this place to stay as it was within the old city walls.

A lovely B & B with only rooms and very welcoming hosts.

We stayed in room 7 the first night which was on the top floor. It was a small attic room which was way too hot for us and the shower leaked onto the bathroom floor making it slippy. The next night we were moved to room 6 which was 100% better. Our friends were in room 5 which was also lovely and spacious. The TV screens in the rooms were housed in large picture frames and also doubled up as a PC with free internet access which was excellent

Breakfast was taken outside and a lovely start to the day. There was a variety of items including cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastries, bread, meats and cheeses. Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts and they even made the perfect cup of tea for our friend who gave them 10 out of 10

There were a couple of bars nearby in the tiny street which were pretty noisy at weekends so not ideal for light sleepers

Dubrovnik is a lovely place to visit and the old town is simpy fantastic. If you want to stay in an authentic Croatian B & B you will not be disappointed if you choose the Antica Ragusa but make sure you don't get room 7

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends