“Very good all rounder for your money!!! But...!!”

Valamar Argosy Hotel
Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My girlfriend and i are a young couple and we stayed at this hotel for ten nights from 25th may 2012. And overall we were very satisfied!! The hotel is very easy to get to from the airport via the airport shuttle and then the number 6 bus from the outside the old town. Stay on the bus until the very end unlike us!!! The hotel was kept very clean all staff very friendly and helpful!! We had a garden view and asked for a sea view and it was sorted straight away usually for a little extra but we were upgraded for free!!!. The room from 144 was amazing!! The food after 10 nights was still really good and varied!! Breakfast was same every morning but very adequate. The hotel is in a great position on the babin kuk peninsula. Left and right from the hotel has both amazing walks with outstanding views.
Bars and restaurants within a gentle 20 minute walk. Great bus service at your door step. A few pebble clean beaches nearby.
The only thing that lets this hotel down was the lack of good entertainment for the younger guests!! This hotel is geared towards older guests! So if this puts you off then probably not for you.
But we would return!!

Room Tip: Sea view terrace rooms the best!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kbennett43
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Dear Mr. Bennett,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I was pleased to read that you found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay and you enjoyed our sea side room.
Once again, thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 May 2012

If you want to spend your holiday in a calm and very pleasant environment you should go to Argosy Hotel in Babin Kuk, Dubrovnik. The staff of the hotel is very friendly, good food and wunderful views of the see. The local bus takes you to the Old Town in minutes.

5  Thank ingbritt189852
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear Ingbritt189852,

I would like to thank you for taking the time and sharing your opinion on Trip advisor.
Thank you for noticing the friendly staff, good food and specialy for recommendation.
I'm happy you enjoyed your balcony view and we will be happy to welcome you again in our hotel. As always, we will do our best to provide the same or even better level of service and hospitality!

Best regards,
Josip Konjevod-General manager

Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Argosy hotel for one night after a week long cruise which finished in Dubrovnik so we wanted to spend time looking around the old town before heading to Rome. Our room was very spacious and clean and had free wifi overall was perfect for a quick stopover. The hotel is huge with corridors that seem to go onforever. There seemed to be many senior citizen guests when we were there which was no trouble at all but it was very noticeable with the average age being appprox 60 and we are a couple in our late 20's. The hotels architecture was dated which meant that the pool didn't capture the stunning views of the sea and was in the shade so the pool was freezing. A cab ride to the old town takes half the time in a taxi and costs roughly HRK 60-70. A set fare from the hotel to the airport is HRK 270 and takes about 30mins.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Amber M
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear Amber M,
many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and we are glad you chose our hotel for your one night stay in Dubrovnik. I hope hotel Argosy would be choice for your eventually next visit to Dubrovnik, perhaps, for some longer period.
Best regards,

Reviewed 18 May 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights as a group (a choir). On arrival we were treated to a complementry glass of sparkling wine on the terrace . The manager intoduced himself to everyone and made us feel very welcome. Our room had a balcony overlooking the bay. It was spotless and I could'nt fault it. On our last night we had a BBQ there and it was a terrific night the food was very good as were the breakfasts each morning. It was in a good location and only 10 minutes by taxi into the old town.

1  Thank Paula D
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Dear Ms. Paula,

Thank you very much for taking time to write review on TripAdvisor. Our goal is service that makes all our guests feel welcome and at home, so I’m delightful when you felt like that. Also hope you enjoyed in Dubrovnik, as well , and that you’ll be our guest in the future.
Greetings from Dubrovnik to you and whole Kilkenny choir.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

All the pros and cons have already been pointed out by the previous reviewers. I just want to list the following observation:

* the good:
- staff is making an effort to accommodate my requests, they gave clear information and went out of their way to help;
- the ceiling in my room is about 5 meters, making the room very airy and looks larger than it is;
- breakfast at the terrace

* the not-so-good:
- it's big hotel, catering to the groups, and in May it is mostly senior citizens, which means you can't beat the crowd in the morning as they gets up earlier than you;
- for the same reason above, the weekend entertainment at the lobby was a bit sad affair. But just because I don't like lounge music does not necessarily mean others don't, and judging from the crowd in the lobby last weekend, a lot of them did;

Lastly, I read a few comments even before my trip hating the building itself. I guess it is really personal taste. While no specialist myself, I think the complex was in Brutalist Architecture style, which deliberately preserves the wood imprint on concrete when casted in situ. Personally I like it a lot and prefer it than the tiring glass-and-steel ones you see in most resorts. Again, just because you don't like it yourself does not warrant you asking them to "knock it down and rebuild".

Room Tip: Most rooms has balcony or terrace, so you might have better chance of getting one if you ask for it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Sebastiensh
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear Sebastiensh,
On behalf of hotel Argosy staff , and me personally, I would like to thank you very much for staying in our hotel. We are grateful that you have shared with us your impressions. Your comments are of tremendous importance to us, because in this way we acquire complete picture of the quality level of our services.
That’s why I’m glad you liked our breakfast at the terrace and I’m truly happy you noticed our staff effort.
Regarding comments for the building itself, I agree with you that everyone has a taste of his own, so some people like the it and some don't, but I’m glad you did. Same can be said of the music.
Hoping to see you again in the future.
All the best from Dubrovnik.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

We have just returned from a 4 night stay and found the Hotel to be very nice. It is situated at the end of the Bus route (no. 6) in a lovely location. Our partial seaview room was good and very clean. We found the Hotel Reception helpful and the food was good. The Hotel is also used by tour groups and occasionally the noise levels in the Restaurant were loud.
We would recommend the Hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a partial or full seaview room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank P'line
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Dear P’line
thank you very much for choosing hotel Argosy for your holiday and many thanks for taking the time to let us know you feedback from your recent stay with us. I was so glad to read that you had nice stay with, On your next visit to Dubrovnik I do hope that you will return to stay with us.
Best regards

Reviewed 10 May 2012

The view from the dining area is spectacular, certainly the best in a hotel I've seen in Europe. Very handy to get to Dubrovnik Old Town, the 6 bus stops yards away. Staff are friendly and very helpful. We stayed for a week on half board and, apart from lunch, did not eat anywhere else - there was no need. The variety of food was excellent and well cooked and the house wines were fine. Rooms were clean and comfortable. We hope to return soon. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a sea view. Worth paying extra.Spectacular views of the islands.
2  Thank davedo

Dear davedo,

I would like to thank you for your lovely review on tripadvisor. I'm very glad you enjoyed in our restaurant and its unique location. Thank you for noticing the helpful and friendly staff, that means a lot to us.
I sincerely hope we see you again in the near future for another nice Argosy experience.

best wishes form Dubrovnik