“with flying colors!”

Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Dubrovnik
pula
“with flying colors!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I have nothing but lots of words of praise for this hotel. Particularly regarding all of it's staff. I've been spending most of my time in dubrovnik in the hotel and they were nothing but helpful and patient with me and everybody around me.
I've stayed here many times. This is the perfect location for a visit to the old town however it's not inside the walls for you get your beauty sleep as it is in a rather quiet and green area with beach in walking distance. If going to the town bus stop(the terminal) is at the doorstep. Can not be any easier. It is in fact perfectly located no matter what you're up to in this town. To be quite honest, some of the rooms only could use some refurbishment, but once you've had some of the tastiest food ever in the hotel's restaurant and chatted to the dearest hotel's manager I've personally ever met - obviously a hard working gent, since always on duty; and after you see with your own eyes that each and every single member of his staff is no different, you forget about possibly worn out carpet. Considering their attitude and them being attentive, informative, friendly, sympathetic and always smiling yet hard working it gives me enormous pleasure to announce, to whom it may concern, the best team ever and, certainly, best leader to go with, Mr. Josip Konjevod.
Oh, and I can not resist making a point here. my dear fellow travelers. Cats would not be a problem if you would simply stop feeding them during breakfasts and dinners.
The title says it all, considering you know the origin of the hotel's name and also that the history of the phrase used in the title is familiar to you. I can assure you it is well deserved. By all means.
For here's the biggest thank you you've ever read, to everyone I've ever met here. I hope to see you again sometime. in Argosy.
God bless you and bye for now.
t.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tangra_pu
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Dear Tangra,
There are no words we can say to express how happy and pleased we are to hear all the best from you.
Thank you for your honest review and kindest words of praise which remind us why we all love this job and it will be great motivation for to keep up the good work.
It was such a pleasure to have you as our guest so many times and we hope you will have many happy returns.
Warmest regards,
Josip Konjevod-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

This hotel is a strange mixture, and it’s difficult to know where to start. We were another customer of Riviera, which does not include porterage. When we arrived at the hotel, there was no-one around to help with our cases (I have walking difficulties), and this seemed to highlight a general theme: not enough staff on duty when it is busy. However, we coped and checked in. Because of my difficulties, we had asked for a low floor, and were assigned a room on the same floor as reception (floor 2, which was at ground level!). The layout of the hotel is such that there is no room close to reception, but we were assigned the nearest.

Our room was a decent size, very clean, with French windows onto a shared balcony, and the beds were very comfortable. On arrival, we immediately turned on the air conditioning, but nothing happened. Like the Hotel Plaza in Omis, where we’d just come from, the a/c wouldn’t come on when the window was open, so we checked that and found that the window was closed. We eventually found that the window needed to be shut in just the right position, otherwise it didn’t register as closed for the a/c.

The a/c was not very effective, though, perhaps because the controls looked like those I last saw in Sri Lanka over 20 years ago. However, there was a very effective ceiling fan, and by using the two together the temperature felt well under control. Thankfully, the a/c and fan stayed on when we left the room.

The room was kept very clean, and was made up in the morning when everyone was normally out. We were impressed with the cleaning. I’m not at all sure why it was necessary, but the doorway into the bathroom was ridiculously narrow, though I could (just) get through it! It certainly wouldn’t be usable by someone in a wheelchair.

The restaurant was huge, and part of it was on a terrace. The big difficulty for me was that I could only get to it by going up (or down) some stairs. There was a wheelchair lift that made it unnecessary to use stairs, but there was no obvious way to use it. I didn’t see anyone in the restaurant in a wheelchair – perhaps that’s why!

All of the food was buffet style, and my comments are on that basis. I liked the food: as others have said, some of it was cooked while you wait, and there was a wide range available. Unfortunately, I’m not into salads, and my wife didn’t like a lot of the salads that were available. However, I did like the tomatoes, so much so that they ran out of them one night – what a disaster! But the meats included the usual pork and chicken, and surprisingly steak as well. For breakfast, there were sausages and bacon (sorry, but I’m a carnivore!), as well as the usual cooked and cold alternatives. The rolls and bread were lovely and fresh.

There are a few negative comments to make about the food. First, the meats at dinner were very considerably over-salted. Second, the breakfast fruit juice was watered down to the point that it was unpleasant. I could just about drink the apple juice, but the orange juice was dreadful (you could pay extra for fresh orange). Unfortunately, the coffee was not to my taste either, though that of course is very personal. The tea (for my wife) was fine, but needed two tea bags! She liked the fact that they provided tea pots.

There have been comments about cats in the restaurant, but I didn’t see any. There were cats, but they were kept outside the hotel. The only difficulty people had with the restaurant was in finding a table if you were a bit late down to the start of meals, particularly if you were in groups.

The hotel itself was pleasant, if a bit clinical, and in a very nice location. It was up on a hill in the middle of what I would call a park, with some lovely views. In spite of being out of the centre of Dubrovnik, you could catch a bus (nr 6) outside the hotel that would take you in 15 mins to the centre for the grand sum of about £1.50 – a bargain! Internally, there were effectively beer gardens, very spacious, and very pleasant to sit in. This was serviced by the lobby bar, and the only down side to the lobby bar was that it got horrendously busy at times. To return to a starting theme, there were not enough staff on this bar when it was busy, with long queues forming. If my memory is correct, we only ever saw two people serving at any one time. These two were expected to serve at the bar as well as wait on the tables.

The other comment relating to drinks is that they were relatively expensive. For example, a 500ml bottle of water was about £2.50 at the Argosy; in the local shops, a 1.5l bottle was £1.50. And that same 1.5l bottle in Omis was about 75p! Other drinks were equally expensive, relative to the outside and to Omis. However, I did find a local beer in the hotel (Tomislav Tamno Piso), which is a dark beer, rather like stout, and that was very tasty. It’s perhaps a pity that the Argosy had in their menu the 33cl size at about £2.50, but served the 50cl size at about £3.50. For once, I didn’t object to being misled!

So, what was my overall view of the hotel? It was huge, spacious, clean, and clinical, but expensive and, at times, understaffed. Considering the rack rates they publish (up to £250 per room per night B&B, plus about £20 per person per night for half-board), they really ought to be able to cope with busy periods better than they did. The staff were always helpful, and we were impressed by the restaurant staff and the room cleaning. There’s a lot to be happy about, but their prices for drinks seem too high and the rack rates should imply much less queuing.

Would we come again? Yes, but not at those rack rates.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed your review on Tripadvisor following your stay with us. We appreciate it very much.
Your comments are of great importance to us, because in this way we acquire complete picture of the quality level of our services.
We are happy to read that all in all you have had a pleasant stay with us and we hope we will have opportunity to host you again in the future.
Best regards,
Effingham, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

We were booked at the Tirena Hotel but at the last minute this change was made and what a super place it was. My room had French doors that opened on to the garden and view of the gorgeous Adriatic Sea with sailboats. The hotel had a wonderful, extensive breakfast buffet and dinner as well. A great beach and lovely pool and green area to relax. The hotel is on the #6 bus line which takes you into the old town of Dubrovnik and back without any difficulty. i stayed there for 3 nights and could have remained for a week!!!! It would be a great place to go just for a vacation with no other plans but relaxation and easy access to Dubrovnik if you wanted to poke around the old town.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the sea, pool area or beach are the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your travel to Dubrovnik and leaving a comment on your recent stay with us, and reviewing your stay with top mark on almost all hotel aspects. We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable and restful stay with us.
Hopefully Dubrovnik will be your travel destination once again and hotel Argosy your selected hotel.

Best regards from entire Argosy staff,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Argosy. There were 16 men together, the beer was good and the food better. The evening luxury buffet was amazing value. A lot of it cooked fresh as you watch.
Rooms were good, clean and comfortable. Bathrooms modern with shower and bath. The air conditioning could be better but I like to be chilled !
The "every 10 minutes" bus ran from the hotel entrance and the service returning ran up to 1am.
Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2012
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Dear Guest,
I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding your recent stay and it was also great to hear that you had enjoyable stay. I’m happy to read that we met all your expectations and it makes me really proud.
Thank you very much for taking time to post this review and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again in hotel Argosy.
Best regards from Dubrovnik,
Lisburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Argosy Hotel is big and sprawling. It is quite old fashioned but being updated. Room we had was very basic although bathroom was more modern. Staff were lovely. Excellent selection of food. Entertainment in evening was very good espeically the violinist and the tenor who was exceptional. Rooms I think are luck of the draw. Some with balcony,some with views and some with both. Some with balconies overlook each other. Unfortunately we got neither. We had sliding doors which opened onto rooftiles. Not the most beautiful view but with some effort we could see the bay. Lobby bar staff were quite slow and laid back which created a free for all at times with the people waiting. We were with Riviera Travel and from this base visited Dubrovnik old town and Montenegro - both well worth visiting. Guides with Riviera and local guides were exceptional.

Room Tip: Ask on arrival if the room has a balcony or view and they may be able to change you. We didn't b...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank judithleslie
Dear Guest,
It was a pleasure for us to read your positive comments about our hotel. Thank you very much. I am happy to read that you have had a pleasant vacation in Dubrovnik and that you have enjoyed at hotel Argosy.
I truly hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you back soon.
Best regards from Dubrovnik,
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

We came here with Riviera in September. We requested a room with a balcony at the time of booking (I would recommend you do this for both hotels) and the room was really clean and had a sea view and comfortable beds. Although we could hear the music in the evening it stopped at 11pm so we were not really disturbed. The food in the restaurant was excellent - meat and fish cooked by the chefs in front of you. Fresh bacon, eggs and pancakes at breakfast were also cooked by a chef. All food was freshly cooked and the salads were regularly replenished.
The bus stop was nearby and went into the centre of Dubrovnik. We found the staff both at reception and in the restaurant really pleasant and very helpful.
We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Request a room with balcony/sea view when booking.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Josip_Konjevod, General Manager at Valamar Argosy Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was a pleasure to have you as guests at our hotel and we are very glad you have had a good time with us, and that you were satisfied with hotel in total. We always love to read kind words from our dear guests.
Thank you once again and hope to see you back soon!

Best regards,
Lanark, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

We came here in August with Riviera and found staff friendly and helpful. The food was excellent, fresh and plentiful and varied.A couple of hotel cats did not bother us better welll behaved cats than mice! Our room was clean,spacious -beds very comfortable and towels were fine (we must have been lucky)! The situation of the hotel is the best on the peninsula. Yes the hotel is in need of updating but they have exciting plans afoot to refurbish and develop the hotel Unfortunately by then it will be unaffordable for great companies like Riviera to use them. Very good value for money.
Good access for visiting Dubrovnik

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patsy441127
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time and writing a review. We very much appreciate every input we can get. Thank you for compliments and kind words.
We love to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and certainly hope you will visit us again in future.
Best regards from Dubrovnik